*Shade* is interactive fiction — a classic text adventure. No graphics! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.
*Shade* is a snack-sized experiment in surrealism and psychological fear. It begins as a classic “room escape” scenario; but that’s not how it ends.
Play *Shade* if you’re in the mood for a short trip into an uncertain, shifting environment that might just be a nightmare.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center. Each reveals a new snippet of Death Valley Om installation art, specially written for this iOS release.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Includes a handy “to do” display tab (so you don’t have to type “READ LIST” over and over).
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
“Suffice it to say that it’s extremely well crafted and very, very creepy—this is ‘mess with your head’ IF par excellence.” — Baf's Guide to Interactive Fiction
“It threatens one’s ideas of the relationship between the player and the protagonist. It has entered the canon, as far as interactive fiction has one.” — Emily Short at PlayThisThing
*Shade* won the XYZZY Award for Best Setting of 2000. A browser-playable version is also available (for free) on my web site.
Updated for newest devices and current iOS.
Ratings and Reviews
Wow. Like an interactive Stephen King story
This is a great little diversion. Well worth the 99 cents!
This is an interactive story, where your actions drive the narrative forward. The location is more limited in scope than other text adventures you may have played... it was a bit annoying trying to figure out which commands the game would understand, so I offer future players some suggestions:
* Enter (an area)
* Search (an object)
...and if you get stuck, check your “to do” list.
Really cool short adventure game
Really nice short horror game. Had a little bit of trouble with commands in one part but it’s still great and would highly recommend it to others
Unusual, well-written short text adventure
"Shade" is not so much a traditional "adventure" as an experiment in mood and horror. It starts out appearing to be a room escape game, but how it ends ... Though brief, it will mess with your head. The virtual to-do list, available in a tab, is a good bonus over the browser-based version, nicely implemented; check it frequently. For a beginner's game, try the same author's app "The Dreamhold," which holds your hand a lot more.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Andrew Plotkin
- 4.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2013-8 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.