Speech Therapy for Apraxia-Words is a convenient, effective tool for:
• children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech/dyspraxia
• adults with apraxia
• use by anyone working with individuals with apraxia, either therapists or parents
• can also be used for traditional articulation practice
Developed by the National Association for Child Development team, including a certified speech-language pathologist, this app practices articulation at the word level and is a logical follow-up to the original syllable-based app, Speech Therapy for Apraxia. This newer version provides choices of different patterns of articulation within words and moves through a progression of levels that challenge motor planning for speech. It begins at the production of single words with easier patterns of articulation and progresses through increasingly more difficult production sequences all the way to the production of sequences of random words.
::: Features ::::
• Choose from 9 different word groups to target.
• Words are categorized according to place of articulation of the phonemes and pattern of articulation within the word.
• For each group, choose the level at which to practice.
• Detailed instructions explain how to choose an appropriate word group and practice level.
• Moves through a logical progression of 8 different levels for motor planning for speech.
• Illustration and audio provided for each word.
• Option to repeat levels, reset, or move to next level.
• Can also be used for straight articulation drill for particular types of phonemes.
* NEW PROGRESS TRACKING OPTION REQUIRES IN APP PURCHASE. PROGRESS TRACKING IS NOT INCLUDED WITH BUNDLE OR INDIVIDUAL APP, IT HAS TO BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY*
• Track and save the progress for each user so that you can resume each consonant group and level from where you left off. Great for SLPs who wants to use this for multiple users.
• Sharing your progress via email directly from the app allows for communication between therapist and parent. For parents, practice at home and email your progress to therapist.
:: What People Are Saying ::
"My youngest has speech apraxia. He struggles daily to be understood. We use many therapies but this app is one of my favorites. Honestly I feel this app has been instrumental in the progress he's made."
"As an SLP I find this app useful for many of the children I see, who struggle with producing speech sound."
• Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for speech homework
I am an SLP that works with speech delayed and apraxic toddlers and preschoolers. I found this app to be very effective in improving the motor speech planning skills of my clients. I really like the parent video that explains the terminology for each level. I also agree with a previous reviewer that adding fricatives would be great for my more advanced clients. And if there was some type of reward system to keep the kids interested that would be icing on the cake.
My greatest objection is they use words such as “bumper” which younger kids don’t know. I think a much smaller subset of stimuli might be better. As it is you have to teach and keep reminding kids the names of the picture.
It would be nice if individual kids could be entered separately so you could pick up right away on the level you were working on with that child, and also keep a record of each of the levels already achieved
What a great way to create a probe list!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.