BaconReader for Reddit 17+
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
BaconReader is a tasty Reddit client that lets you enjoy all of the best content and features of popular social news site Reddit. Access news and entertainment content, post links, submit pics and comments, upvote and downvote to your heart’s content – all in a beautiful interface enhanced for easy use on your iPhone or iPad
With features like multiple account support, messages, enhanced search, follow friends, direct image uploads, and a unique subreddit explorer, BaconReader is intuitive and easy to use new and experienced redditors alike.
Join the BaconReader community at r/BaconReader for the latest news and updates on BaconReader features and release plans.
• Support for iPhone X devices
• Compact Mode available for viewing more content in a smaller space
• Gesture support for quick voting - 2 finger tap to up vote and 3 finger tap to down vote
• Supports 3D touch for Front Page thumbnails and Home screen
• Support for multitasking on iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro devices
• Dual-Pane view available for iPhone Plus devices
• Image/gif viewer: Supports swipe up/down to close and Imgur album captions
• Subscribe, set User and Link flair, submit posts, upvote/downvote, full iPad support -- all for free!
• Cake day notification
• Reddituploads image display support
• Filtering: Keyword, Domain, and exclude subreddits from r/all
• Moderator features: Modmail, approve/remove posts, mark as spam)
• Switch between multiple accounts and create new ones
• Select Explore from the menu to get started discovering great new content.
• Create and manage multireddits, add subreddit to multireddit from sidebar
• Select between list and tile displays – swipe sideways in detail view to access the next story without returning to the front page!
• New search makes it even easier to search for posts, subreddits, and users
• Follow posts/comments made by other redditors by adding them to your Friends list
• Bookmark a subreddit, multireddit or keywords for quick access, without adding it to your front page
• Post images directly to imgur within posts and comments
• Left-handed mode allows you to switch thumbnails from right to left for easy access
• Support for viewing Reddit gallery
• Support for deleting private messages
• Support for viewing and making crosspost
• Ability to perform advanced search
We may collect information from your use of the app that we may share with our partners to deliver personalized ads, and improve our services. This data may be associated with other data collected from your visits over time and across different applications and websites to provide you with relevant and useful advertising.
This release contains the following fixes
- iPad comment refresh issue while coming from background.
- Bottom bar disappearing after executing search.
- White bar color while viewing images.
Ratings and Reviews
What’s with the new full-screen ads?
I’ve been using BaconReader for 3+ years as my main Reddit app. I use this app more than just about any other app on my phone. As long as I’ve been using the app, there've been ad banners at the bottom of the screen. The only ads have been these banner ads. I can ignore those ads, so I’m fine with them.
However, in the past day — that is, since the most recent update — I’ve had 4 or 5 full-screen pop-up ads appear out of nowhere, and I’ve had to wait several seconds to close them. This completely takes me out of my Reddit browsing experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love this app, but I’d give it 5 stars if the developers removed the full-screen ads.
Developer Response ,
We have always had interstitial ads. For years. The issue is that the former ad mediator we've been using since the launch of the app went out of business, requiring us to switch to a new one. The new aggregator is filling the interstitial at a much higher rate (though the frequency isn't actually any higher - you just see it more because it's actually filling). Because of this, we reached out and asked them to please reduce the frequency way, way down. It should be significantly better now.
PLEASE FIX THE VIDEO PLAYER + unable to block accounts now
EDIT- I can’t block anyone anymore! Reddit is being overrun by bots so I’ve been blocking the ones I see. There doesn’t seems to be a limit to how many accounts you can block but it keeps telling me I can’t block anyone. REALLY FRUSTRATING! Restarting the app and logging out doesn’t help. I refuse to delete and redownload the app because I know it will remove my sub/feed filters and I don’t want to lose those.
The one big issue I have with this app is that videos will only play correctly until you go full screen. It sometimes pauses sometimes doesn’t, but the really annoying thing is that th video will stop at about a third in and then it skips back and forth rapidly. It doesn’t matter if you go out of the video and back, or restarting the app, it happens ALL THE TIME. As far as ads go, I don’t think I’ve had it bad like everyone else. I only get banner ads at the bottom. It would be nice if the ads were varied. Really sick of seeing the one Snapchat rip-off constantly. It should be mandatory for a confirmation to pop up when tapping on an ad. I’ve never clicked an ad deliberately, never will, and it’s infuriating that accidentally opening one does just that. Just give me a confirmation so it doesn’t open the stupid ad in my browser.
Five star Reddit client with one caveat.
As of the time of me writing this review, the app doesn't allow me to post comments, stating only that an error has occurred and nothing much beyond that. This is, in my opinion, the best Reddit client available right now and has so much amazing functionality. However, not being able to post comments (as I've been able to do before recent updates) has been killing me. I've tried across multiple subreddits in case some subs prohibit comments based on user frequency or karma etc and it just doesn't work.
It's still not enough for me to rate below five stars, despite this glaring issue. It could also be due to NAT issues which don't fault the app at all. Have not tested that yet.
Tldr; freaking fantastic Reddit client. Hoping my comment issue is an isolated one.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 36.6 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2012-2020, OneLouder Apps
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to BaconReader Pro $1.99