BaconReader is a tasty Reddit client that lets you enjoy all of the best content and features of popular social news site Reddit. Access news and entertainment content, post links, submit pics and comments, upvote and downvote to your heart’s content – all in a beautiful interface enhanced for easy use on your iPhone or iPad
With features like multiple account support, messages, enhanced search, follow friends, direct image uploads, and a unique subreddit explorer, BaconReader is intuitive and easy to use new and experienced redditors alike.
Join the BaconReader community at r/BaconReader for the latest news and updates on BaconReader features and release plans.
• Support for iPhone X devices
• Compact Mode available for viewing more content in a smaller space
• Gesture support for quick voting - 2 finger tap to up vote and 3 finger tap to down vote
• Supports 3D touch for Front Page thumbnails and Home screen
• Support for multitasking on iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro devices
• Dual-Pane view available for iPhone Plus devices
• Image/gif viewer: Supports swipe up/down to close and Imgur album captions
• Subscribe, set User and Link flair, submit posts, upvote/downvote, full iPad support -- all for free!
• Cake day notification
• Reddituploads image display support
• Filtering: Keyword, Domain, and exclude subreddits from r/all
• Moderator features: Modmail, approve/remove posts, mark as spam)
• Switch between multiple accounts and create new ones
• Select Explore from the menu to get started discovering great new content.
• Create and manage multireddits, add subreddit to multireddit from sidebar
• Select between list and tile displays – swipe sideways in detail view to access the next story without returning to the front page!
• New search makes it even easier to search for posts, subreddits, and users
• Follow posts/comments made by other redditors by adding them to your Friends list
• Bookmark a subreddit, multireddit or keywords for quick access, without adding it to your front page
• Post images directly to imgur within posts and comments
• Left-handed mode allows you to switch thumbnails from right to left for easy access
+ Fixed crash and several other issues when running iOS 13 Beta
+ Improvements to accessibility when using VoiceOver
+ Subs can be excluded from r/Popular
+ Fixed potential issue with Restore Purchase
+ Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
What’s with the new full-screen ads?
I’ve been using BaconReader for 3+ years as my main Reddit app. I use this app more than just about any other app on my phone. As long as I’ve been using the app, there've been ad banners at the bottom of the screen. The only ads have been these banner ads. I can ignore those ads, so I’m fine with them.
However, in the past day — that is, since the most recent update — I’ve had 4 or 5 full-screen pop-up ads appear out of nowhere, and I’ve had to wait several seconds to close them. This completely takes me out of my Reddit browsing experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love this app, but I’d give it 5 stars if the developers removed the full-screen ads.
Developer Response ,
We have always had interstitial ads. For years. The issue is that the former ad mediator we've been using since the launch of the app went out of business, requiring us to switch to a new one. The new aggregator is filling the interstitial at a much higher rate (though the frequency isn't actually any higher - you just see it more because it's actually filling). Because of this, we reached out and asked them to please reduce the frequency way, way down. It should be significantly better now.
Five star Reddit client with one caveat.
As of the time of me writing this review, the app doesn't allow me to post comments, stating only that an error has occurred and nothing much beyond that. This is, in my opinion, the best Reddit client available right now and has so much amazing functionality. However, not being able to post comments (as I've been able to do before recent updates) has been killing me. I've tried across multiple subreddits in case some subs prohibit comments based on user frequency or karma etc and it just doesn't work.
It's still not enough for me to rate below five stars, despite this glaring issue. It could also be due to NAT issues which don't fault the app at all. Have not tested that yet.
Tldr; freaking fantastic Reddit client. Hoping my comment issue is an isolated one.
Best reddit app WITH caveats
If you're looking for an app that prizes function over form, this is it. It's not dazzlingly beautiful in its design and won't wow you with its thread-opening animations or transitions. No.
But this app WILL get you to any subreddit you'd like without fail. It'll let you do things that the average reddit app wouldn't - request flairs, pull up the sidebar, or the save drafts of a reply to that idiot you so disagree with.
It'll let you choose whether or not to open links inside the app or in default browser. It'll show you gif previews and video previews when it's allowed by the link. It'll let you control font size however you want, and offer dark mode.
Now the caveats: there sometimes are bugs. Sometimes you're typing out a comment, and lo and behold, the last three words you've typed have disappeared, and your cursor is nowhere to be seen. You can't scroll down either.
I actually thought there would be more problems that would come to mind, but this is it.
This is a pretty great app. You should get it.
- 61.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2012-2019, OneLouder Apps
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to BaconReader Pro $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.