Privacy is possible. Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real-time with all of your friends at once, and share media and other files with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end-to-end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source and peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so that you can have private conversations with all of your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group information like the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Messages are delivered quickly and reliably.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• This minor update fixes two rare bugs related to Signal calls.
Ratings and Reviews
Why isn’t everybody using this app?
I’m a whistleblower in a federal corruption investigation who has been the victim of sustained, state level hacking attacks. One method of illegal surveillance used has been the prolific use of IMSI catchers (google it, if you don’t know). I’m talking 24 hour surveillance and wiretapping. I can’t express enough how crucial Signal has been in helping me have private conversations in this aggressive hacking environment. It has really stressed out my hackers. While they are still able to intercept my calls, they don’t know what I am saying or texting when using Signal and that has really helped level the playing field. The only challenge - and it’s a big one- is getting others to use the app and answer their frigging phones when Signal rings them. I solve this by sending a regular text telling people to check their Signal. But it really boggles my mind how comfortable people are about communicating out in the open in this day and age. Anyway, I owe a huge debt to Signal developers for providing this app for free.
Best Privacy App Yet
This is simply the best privacy app with everything neatly bundled into it. It has a nice authentication feature, sms & mms messaging & disappearing messages with people [to keep them clean if you’d like], calls, and keeps it all private, app switch privacy [keeping the screen blank for privacy while switching apps so wandering eyes cannot see the screen], and many more features packed into this powerhouse. To anyone experiencing any issues with calls, make sure your notifications are on and properly set with the app, and look into the settings in the app itself and it easily shows how to have your calls show up with the name [if you would like to] or just a call without a name. The settings are a breeze and make it very easy to understand.
Very rarely you’ll have to re-register for push notifications, but that’s also very easily accomplished.
If I could rate higher than 5 stars I would. 10 stars out of 5 stars is more like it...
Learn it, Love it, Use it. Always.
Love this app. Hope it is hear forever. And yes the hardest part is getting people to understand that they should use this over normal ios messaging. Not to mention when they start taxes us like they want for text messaging messages through signal wont count due to it does not use a messaging service.
I really wish however that they would upgrade this app to be used by even people that do not have a phone number. I have children and I am not like every other silly parent out their they gives there kid a fricken phone because they think its the newest thing to do. My kids do not take any devices to school. However if they did I would only want them to be able to use email messaging. Other apps use email messaging to send text to a simple email address. I would love to have my kids use signal but they cannot due to they don't have phones.
Anyway great app keep it going.
- RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- 134.8 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © Open Whisper Systems
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.