Gerty is a simple and meticulously crafted app to read your books and record great memories as you read them. eBook reader, journal, notes, photos, maps - you've never seen anything like this before!
- Open books in the EPUB format
- Separate library for paper and eInk books, magazines, and other publications
- Scan barcodes to look up info and covers of your paper books
- Organise your books in shelves
- Bulk manage, sort and filter books
- Advanced EPUB formatting including margins and spacing
- Vastly improved EPUB rendering based on Marvin's fantastic display engine
- Specialty OpenDyslexic font
- Vertical scroll reading design
- Auto scroll with variable speed and estimated reading time (*)
- Screen edge detection for paging
- Apply screen warmth for comfortable nighttime reading
- EPUB 3 popup footnotes
- Automatically add definitions you’ve learnt to your timeline (*)
- Link to custom dictionary apps and web services (*)
- Create custom commands to integrate with many apps and services (*)
- One-tap Dropbox access to your EPUB books
- Drag and drop books using iTunes
JOURNALLING & NOTE TAKING FEATURES
- Keep a personal journal, notes, a private blog, marginalia, or write a photo essay while you're reading
- Relive memories by browsing your entries and notes on maps
- Save passages and notes as journal entries
- Take photos and process them with stunning effects
- Unified timeline
- Photo and tag browser
- Share journal entries and photos
- Geo-tag entries
- Full screen photo and entry browsing
- All your entries are private
- Export your timeline to an EPUB journal (*)
OTHER NOTABLE FEATURES
- Works beautifully on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Passcode lock (*)
- Native maps support
- Efficient cloud syncing and backups using Dropbox (*)
- Sound effects
- In-book reading timers (*)
- Daily reading and journalling reminders
- Modern iOS features including parallax and motion effects
- Detects GPS and date information from photo EXIF data
- Light and dark UI themes (*)
- In-book UI automatically switches to night mode when the screen is dimmed (*)
- AirDrop, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and iMessage sharing
- Powerful URL schemes to integrate with other apps
- Gerty opens DRM-free EPUB books with basic support for EPUB 3
- Barcode lookups might not work for all books
- OpenDyslexic currently supports the basic Latin character set
- Dropbox access and syncing requires a Dropbox account
(*) Some premium features require a single, one-time, “unlock everything” in-app purchase.
App Store reviews really help Gerty. If you enjoy Gerty and find it useful, please consider taking a moment to leave a nice review or rating. Thanks and happy reading!
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
What's new in Gerty:
- Added support for iOS document pickers - get books from iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, and more (*)
- Improved compatibility with future system updates.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when accessing statistics.
- Other small bug fixes, enhancements, and refinements.
(*) Requires iOS 8, and the corresponding app (e.g. OneDrive) that supports document provider extensions.
If you're enjoying Gerty, please find a moment to leave a review and tell your friends. It really, really helps.
Ratings and Reviews
Review of full version to follow
So far love UI and that's important to me. May well "jump ship" from goodreads now that they've gone to The Dark Side; this may be my lifeboat. Imagine it would be great to have a closed book group on social media (FB) -- and it looks like this app would allow you to share comments as you're reading VERY easily. Am also looking forward to trying the "timed" page auto-advance. Also like the idea of tracking reading time. It's all pretty ingenious. BTW Appstafarian is a fab name B-)
Perfect for me
I was looking for a reader that can handle Gutenberg Project books by verticals scrolling. I read on my iPad, have had cataract surgery and require 3.5 readers. I have problems with only the center of my glasses being in focus- the rest of my screen is not a clear- so I prefer verticals scrolling. I can keep my eye focused in one place and move the text rapidly into that field of vision. It's especially useful in portrait mode if I am reading in bed on my side before falling asleep.
I like the ability to size the font and space the lines and adjust the color of the page and brightness. Combined, these features very much improve my reading enjoyment.
It's very easy to find an epub format of free online books and then "open" it in this app. Nice library of icon-images of the books. I don't really use any other features. I am a fast reader, often finishing it in a couple of days.
Lots of ideas but
There are a lot of things in this app that are good ideas, though the implementation is cumbersome.
It definitely needs highlighting and easy export to Evernote of just the highlights without metadata and without book cover pics attached to each highlight.
I was a user of Marvin previous to this and still find that app better for EPub. Actually, I'm finding I want to convert ePub files to word or PDF just to use the liquidtext iOS app, that app is massively innovative and seamless in its note taking and overall reading experience. I do still like this app for autoscrollso I'll keep it on the iPad to see if it gets updates.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Appstafarian Limited
- 29 MB
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015, Appstafarian Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock Everything $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.