Jam Synth is a fully featured monophonic guitar synthesizer / multi FX for iOS. It tracks the pitch and amplitude of an incoming guitar signal and uses this information to control digital oscillators, adding a unique guitar infused edge to your synth leads. Unlike typical pitch to MIDI converters, Jam Synth forgoes MIDI altogether when producing sounds internally because it is impossible to shoehorn the expressive pitch and dynamics of a stringed instrument into the MIDI standard. Jam Synth can accurately track string bends and vibrato with the extreme accuracy of a strobe tuner (1/10 of 1 cent) to produce much more organic synth sounds than other guitar to MIDI converters, including its own MIDI output (though its MIDI output still creates quite a unique guitar / synth hybrid sound because of its pitch bend abilities). It also features some of the most esoteric and unique FX you can get for your guitar.
• 3 Phase Distortion Oscillators (4 on iPad) with 8 different wave shapes: Saw, Square, Pulse, Double Sine, Saw-Pulse, Resonant 1, Resonant 2, and Resonant 3
• Filter can be set to track picking dynamics
• Input section with Gate, Compressor, ADSR, and Input Filter
• FX section
- A fully featured LFO with 5 wave shapes and an invert switch for a wide range of pulsating effects
- Stereo Delay with a stereo width control for ping pong effects and a filter for emulating analog delay
- 3D Chorus, a classic "motionless" chorus that adds a stereo DIMENSION to the synth
- Intelligent Harmonizer: This creates musically correct harmonies based on the key you are playing in. The harmonies can be altered by choosing a specific interval and one of the seven musical modes: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian. It works on MIDI output using multi-channel pitch bending for synths that support such fancy things. It also works on your dry guitar output using high quality formant corrected pitch shift. It is the best.
- Rotary Vibe: This recreates the swirling psychedelic sounds of the 1960's by combining a thick 12-stage stereo phaser with a 3D rotary panning effect. Create anything from a slow stereo swirl to a futuristic synth organ with this.
- Rainbows: Adds analog modeled auto rainbows to your sound. Adds extra rainbows when used with the harmonizer.
- Time Stopper: Freezes time...
• LFO / Stereo Delay / Rotary Vibe can be synced to tap tempo or incoming MIDI clock sync / Inter App Audio sync
• Highly accurate pitch tracking and tuner, accurate to 1/10th of a cent
• MIDI OUT and guitar to MIDI conversion for controlling other MIDI synths with your guitar through Core MIDI accessories and Virtual MIDI
• string bends and vibrato are converted to MIDI pitch wheel data
• picking dynamics are converted to MIDI volume expression data
• compatible with guitar and audio interfaces made for iPhone and iPad
• detailed user manual
• Audiobus 2: the legend of curly's state saving
• Audiobus 2 filter slot. IMPORTANT: Jam Synth is designed to track the pure tone that comes from your guitar pickups. If you are going to send it a signal from another app you should use the input FILTER on the input page to filter out any extra harmonics or noise that may be present in an already-processed signal
• Fat Bass
• Super Chip Leads
• Beagle Time
• Pizza Party
Jam Synth is designed to be easy to use even for users who don't have a lot of experience programming or playing synthesizers. When in doubt, just press buttons and turn knobs while plucking a string until you find a sound you like!
You must AT LEAST have an iPad 3 / iPhone 5 for best performance due to the fanciness of the DSP
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- better iOS 8 compatibility
- New IAP: Rainbows! Adds analog modeled auto rainbows to your sound. Adds extra rainbows when used with the harmonizer.
- New IAP: Time Stopper! Freezes time...
- Harmonizer now works on MIDI output
- Harmonizer sends multi channel pitch bends to synths that support such fancy things
- Dry guitar output is now passed through the app
- Harmonizer also works on dry guitar output using high quality formant preserving pitch shift! Wow!
- Transient detector added to enhance the triggering of note on events
- Audiobus 2 w/ state saving
- Audiobus filter slot. IMPORTANT: Jam Synth is designed to track the pure tone that comes from your guitar pickups. If you are going to send it a signal from another app you should use the input FILTER on the input page to filter out any extra harmonics or noise that may be present in an already-processed signal
- Inter App Audio node / sync
- Better sounding graphics
- Audiophile quality fonts
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Only useful guitar MIDI app in the AppStore
This is the only one worth getting. Maybe it works better because it uses its own sounds, but I deleted the others. Suggested setup for maximum usage-iRig into your device and Fiio adapter(used to go straight from D/A converter-bypasses headphone amp which your guitar is plugged into anyways, so that's the only way to do this) into a stereo female to male cable, and then into a splitter to go into 2 line inputs of your interface(panned left and right to keep it in stereo). The Apple converters are very high quality, so the sound is outstanding and very professional. You'll find the adapter works with all your apps, the sound quality is stunning even considering you're using a phone or whatever.
Never write these, but...
With a careful touch, the dynamic response is quite amazing. Usual signal path is all tube with the a dynacomp as a boost for recording...recently switched to iPad as a recording platform. Just getting used to all the apps and keyboard adaptations, m-audio 49 great key feel, but missing that great feel from post effects on the board when processing guitar tracks. 500 later, basically replaced all but the art preamp, gt10 effects, which were separately tracked or amped that way on stage. This was easy to to use, with only my guitar volume to control response. Got very useable effects, great pick response rivaling tubes, this should be on every iPad arsenal. THANK YOU
Well worth a try!!!!
This free app is suprisingly flexible and powerful. I don't pay guitar at all, but have just used a microphone with the app to control the synth or access the effects loop. The synth tracks surprisingly well and the built-in effects capabilities are quite good. It's generally intuitive and if you have a basic understanding of analog synthesis and basic effects processing, I think you will love this. Did I mention it's free?
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.