This is a full-fledged, rich content and intuitive user interface Japanese dictionary app.
Here is some features that make Japanese Dictionary stand out from other Japanese dictionary apps.
* Browser like word navigation. Just tap on any word either english or Japanese to look up the translated word and definition. Note: For Japanese word in example sentences, tap the sentence to magnify the sentence, then trace Japanese word in the sentence to look up its definition. Please take a look at the screenshots to see it on action.
* Custom handwriting search WITHOUT requiring the correct stroke order to find a Kanji character you are looking for.
* All Japanese with furigana (kanji along with hiragana) support.
* The dictionary includes not only equivalent translated word, but also synonyms and definitions for a better understanding of the meanings of word.
* Speech synthesis for all example sentences and Japanese words.
* Full featured customizable flash card system as learning tool.
* 225000 Japanese entries (Japanese->English)
* 86352 English entries (English->Japanese)
* 60000 sentence examples. (Both English and Japanese)
* 6638 Kanji entires including the latest 2,136 Joyo Kanji issued by Japanese authority in 2010, the latest 861 Jimeiyo Kanji issued by Japanese authority in 2010, and the latest 1,022 Hyogai Kanji issued by Japanese authority in 2000.
* Support Kanji stroke order animation.
* Each kanji shows some compounds listed in order of frequency.
* Advanced search feature, searching the word by Japanese, reading, romaji, radical, or meaning.
* Support full custom Bookmarks management and history.
* Auto generated flashcard based on your own bookmarks.
* Universal app which supports iPhone, iPod and iPad device.
* FREE !!!
This application uses part of the data of WordNet 3.0 offered by Princeton University and Japanese WordNet 1.1 offered by National Institute of Information and Communications Technology, KanjiVG © 2009-2012 Ulrich Apel, KANJIDIC © 2003 The Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, Monash University, TATOEBA PROJECT © tatoeba.org, and NHocr under their licenses.
Update for iOS11 compatible devices.
Fixes Japanese speech synthesis.
Fixes some minor bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Needs phonetic spelling
The ability to write in kanji and have it translated is great, but with no phonetic spelling of the kanji, it's pretty useless as a translation app.
A bit clunky and incomplete
I have a very basic kid's book in japanese, and this dictionary cannot translate several of the words. So it must lack common terms and have rather formal contents.
Japanese entries say what it is in English, but you cannot look up a word in English and translate it to japanese (unless I missed. How)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.