Spot the differences in text and image files, or even folders full of files. Review changes in seconds, with the world's most advanced and beautiful file comparison app.
Kaleidoscope 3 marks the comeback of a longtime favorite: completely redesigned interface fitting in perfectly with the latest versions of macOS, dark mode support, native for Apple Silicon. All while staying the best tool for spotting changes in text, images and folders.
WHAT'S NEW IN KALEIDOSCOPE 3?
- Redesigned interface, including new dark mode and new app icon; Kaleidoscope's design now fits macOS Big Sur and Monterey
- Runs natively on all Macs, including those based on Apple silicon (Apple M1 series).
- Reader view makes it easier to focus on the content
- Greater control over text layout, with better font options and display choices
- Ability to ignore particular folders and files during folder compare, using powerful patterns.
- Persistent top toolbar with convenient Add and Paste buttons
- Redesigned Unified text comparison and File Shelf views to make it easier to review differences and keep track of files being compared
- Powerful filters for comparing items in changeset windows
Two-Way Text Comparison & Merging
- Supports any text file, Word documents, PDF, RTF
- Super-fast diffing of lines and character-level changes
- Directly paste from clipboard
- Three powerful display modes: Blocks, Fluid and Unified
- Color coding to spot added, deleted, and changed text
- Powerful text layout customization
- Reader view that helps focus on content
- Built-in search
- Review code changes and resolve conflicts
- Edit text inline
- Intelligently auto-merge the right content
Powerful Image Comparison
- Supports any file that can be imported as bitmap
- Directly paste from clipboard
- Compare images in four different modes: Two-Up, One-Up, Split and Difference
- Spot subtle pixel differences with a high contrast “difference mask”
- Navigate large images using pan & zoom tools
- Ultra-fast algorithm for finding differences in large folders
- Sort and filter down to what is most important
- Powerful ignore patterns to exclude extraneous files and folders
- Drill deeper into folders for more detailed comparisons
- Copy your preferred files across sources
- Well-designed overview of all files changed in a changeset
- Find a file by filtering by name or by kind of change
- Inspect changes in text and image files using all of Kaleidoscope's compare tools
Easy Workflow Integration
- Git, Mercurial, Subversion, Bazaar, and Perforce support
- Works as a fully functional diff or merge tool
- ksdiff tool unleashes the power of the unix command-line
- Supported by a growing list of GUI source control management apps
- Integrate with the Xcode debugger (lldb) for text and graphics
- Integrates with tools like Alfred for even faster workflows
PRAISE FOR KALEIDOSCOPE 2
"Kaleidoscope epitomizes the concept of “versatile software”: anyone can pick it up and use it, and the app will “scale” according to a user’s needs." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"Kaleidoscope 2 is breeze. I wish I'd had something like Kaleidoscope when I wrote my first novel, and I'll be counting on it when I finally get around to writing the next one." - Rene Ritchie, iMore.com
"It’s beautifully designed, fast and wonderful to use. It’s become an essential part of my toolkit already." - Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web
"I've been a full-time developer for over a decade, tried other tools, and there's just nothing else that comes close to Kaleidoscope." - Collin Donnell
"The new Kaleidoscope is great, and has awesome and committed people behind it. Devs and designers need this tool." - @SteveStreza
If you have any questions or feedback about Kaleidoscope, please contact us at email@example.com.
Learn about important Kaleidoscope updates and announcements by following @kaleidoscopeapp on Twitter.
• Major fidelity improvements to the copy operation in folder compare. A huge thanks to Mike for helping us track this down.
• Improved color contrast for text in Dark Appearance.
• Fix an issue where the popup menus next to the Choose A and Choose B buttons were missing in three way merge.
• Fixed the underlying issue for an "This app needs to be updated" system alert, making it unnecessary and not appear.
• Ongoing UI consistency updates. Thanks Matt!
• Fixed an issue that could make one side of the Folder compare disappear unexpectedly in certain rare situations.
Ratings and Reviews
Good for finding those small differences
Still the best
The app has changed hands several times over the years, and continues to be my standout favorite diff tool. Kudos to the new devs for modernizing Kaleidoscope and making it even better~
The developer, Letter Opener GmbH, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Letter Opener GmbH
- 29.6 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires macOS 11.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2021 Letter Opener GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.