ABBYY Lingvo European quickly and accurately translates words and phrases without an Internet connection.
101 dictionaries for 7 languages (Russian, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian and Portuguese) are included in the application. All ABBYY Lingvo European dictionaries are licensed from leading international publishers.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
• Get multiple translations and usage samples for each word meaning.
• Learn meanings of set expressions from general translation and idiomatic dictionaries, phrase books and dictionaries of English slang and colloquialisms.
• View synonyms and antonyms, grammar notes, verb forms, and cultural information.
• Look up accurate translations in different subject-based dictionaries (such as computer, engineering, law, medicine and many others).
• Listen to pronunciation of key words for English, Spanish, German, Russian and French recorded by native speakers.
• Get word translation quickly by using Services menu or shortcut (Command+\). This feature will only work in applications created using standard macOS components.
• Use pop-up translation by means of Safari Extension (only works in Safari).
Translation from ENGLISH into French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, and back:
• French-English and English-French: 2 dictionaries with 44,000 entries
• Spanish-English and English-Spanish: 2 dictionaries with 44,000 entries
• German-English and English-German: 2 dictionaries with 43,700 entries
• Italian-English and English-Italian: 2 dictionaries with 44,000 entries
Translation from RUSSIAN into English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, and back:
• English-Russian and Russian-English: 34 dictionaries with more than 2,000,000 entries
• French-Russian and Russian-French: 17 dictionaries with more than 1,000,000 entries
• Spanish-Russian and Russian-Spanish: 5 dictionaries with 145,950 entries
• German-Russian and Russian-German: 20 dictionaries with 858,500 entries
• Italian-Russian and Russian-Italian: 9 dictionaries with 673,000 entries
• Portuguese-Russian and Russian-Portuguese: 2 dictionaries with 230,000 entries
• Oxford Dictionary of English. 355,000 entries
• Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary. 88,000 entries
• Russian: 3 dictionaries with 151,000 entries
If you have any questions or feedback, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply!
• Added Combinatory (En-Ru) dictionary
• Added pronunciation to mini-cards (in pop-up translation in Safari and translation via keyboard shortcuts/context menu)
• Fixed error when scrolling the text in the card
• Removed Computers (En-Ru), Communication (De-Ru), Active (Fr-Ru), Idioms (Fr-Ru), Law (Es-Ru) dictionaries
• Temporarily removed LingvoEconomics (En-Ru) dictionary
• Replaced Universal (Fr-Ru) dictionary with UniversalAST (Fr-Ru) dictionary and Universal (It-Ru) with UniversalHoepli (It-Ru) dictionary
• Minor bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
In the latest update they removed pop-up translation. You pay almost $40 for an application. It’s not cheap, but the application comes with a set of useful features which justifies the purchase. Then suddenly one of these features (the most useful one for me) is removed for no reason. I am very disappointed. It’s equivalent to a money theft. I won’t be surprised if next they remove the ability to translate and we’ll have to buy another dictionary.
though good still issues
I am very disappointed that ABBYY removed Latin from the previous version.
I loved the proverbs as well. this is utterly sad to me though I understand this does not resonate to many people
Developer Response ,
Hello Papunius! Thanks for your feedback! We didn't have a Latin dictionary in the Mac version. May be it was a user dictionary? If so, you can add it in this version as well. Regards, ABBYY Lingvo team.
Limited vocabulary - NOT the same as iOS
I have had the iOS Lingvo app for a long time now, and it is excellent for translating between european languages and english. As a happy user of the iOS app, I was willing to pay again to get the same excellent experience on mac. Unfortunately, the Mac app misleadingly does not include those dictionaries and instead uses much worse 3rd party dictionaries. Shockingly, Lingvo support has notified me that it's not even possible to purchase their proprietary dictionaries for mac. As such, I strongly recommend NOT buying this app until Lingvo figures out how to sell their product (the actual dictionaries) to Mac users...
Developer Response ,
Hello! Thanks for your feedback! Already passed your comment to the specialist. Regards, ABBYY Lingvo Team.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- ABBYY USA Software House Inc
- 871.9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- 2020, ABBYY Production LLC. © Oxford University Press. © HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.