Link Unshortener expands shortened web links, following redirects until it reveals the destination URL. Never again click a link before you know where it's going!
Made by indie developer Jeff Johnson, creator of the beloved web browser extension StopTheMadness. The support link has documentation and my email address.
• Handles link shorteners such as t.co (Twitter), bit.ly, tinyurl, and more!
• Automatically removes URL tracking parameters.
• Automatically upgrades URLs from http to https.
• Includes a share extension.
• Includes a Mac system service.
• Dock icon accepts drag and drop of links.
• Link Unshortener can be set as your default web browser!
• Open the destination URL in the selected web browser, or copy to the clipboard. There are preferences to do these automatically.
• Custom URL redirects! Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. Redirects are shared with StopTheMadness.
• Custom web browser opening rules! Associate specific URLs with specific web browsers. Open https://docs.google.com links in Google Chrome, and other links in Safari. Web URL Rules are shared with StopTheMadness.
• Automatically cleans Reddit email click.redditmail.com URLs.
• Fixed a bug where a stale connection might not be closed until the app quits.
Ratings and Reviews
Simple utility that does exactly what it promises
I use with StopTheMadness by the same developer and this utility works well together. Biggest issue with using with stopthemadness is the small amount of configuration required to connect the two.
Edit: The trimming only known trackers is a nice improvement. Most of the time older versions did a great job, but occassionally it would lose item or article ids along with the trackers. Easy enough to toggle, or go back a step or two but still a small extra step. So nice to see an improvement here.
Apps the way they ought to be
Link Unshortener is another app in the Jeff Johnson tradition:
It is simple.
It is focused.
It says what it does.
It does what it says.
If you are interested in seeing where a cryptic, shortened link will take you before being taken, definitely take a look at this app.
Struggles with Slickdeals links, but solid for the most part.
Developer Response ,
Thanks! On Slickdeals, you might just need to disable Remove URL Queries.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeff Johnson
- 1.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Jeff Johnson
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.