The new edition of the best-selling Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English is a complete vocabulary and grammar resource that will enhance your learning of English.
● Support for iOS7 to iOS9
● Works with new generation iPads, iPhones, and iPods.
The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (6th Edition) © 2015
Now with integrated Grammar, Thesaurus, and Collocations Dictionary.
Improve your English with the full content of the dictionary at your fingertips:
● 165,000 corpus-based examples of natural English show words in context and how English is really used.
● 230,000 words, phrases, and meanings – more than any other learner's dictionary.
Easy to use – easy to understand
● Definitions written using a vocabulary of just 2,000 words – the Longman Defining Vocabulary, ensuring all definitions are clear and easy to understand.
Expand your vocabulary
● Frequency information on the most common words – the new Longman Communication 9000 – helps you learn them first.
● Words from the Academic Word List highlighted to help you improve your essays and presentations.
Write and speak fluently
● An integrated Collocations Dictionary with more than 65,000 collocations: learn word combinations to use the correct words together, such as ‘take a test’ (not ‘make a test’), ‘heavy rain’ (not ‘strong rain’), and ‘highly successful’.
● The integrated Thesaurus with more than 18,000 synonyms, antonyms, and related words helps you improve your writing by using more precise and high level words: stop saying ‘nice’, instead, say ‘lovely, delightful, enjoyable, wonderful, brilliant’.
● Register Notes on the differences between spoken and written English help you express yourself precisely.
Improve your grammar
● Avoid making common mistakes and get extra help with grammar patterns and using the correct tenses.
Improve your pronunciation
● All headwords pronounced in both British and American English
● All example sentences pronounced in either British or American English (via external links)
All this makes the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English the largest resource of English available on any mobile platform.
● Full content of the print dictionary
● PLUS additional collocations, synonyms, and word origins
● Guide on how to use the dictionary
● Search using wildcards and suggested words
● Predictive text in search helps you with spelling as you look for words
● Search for idioms and phrasal verbs
● Search history to help you find recently searched for words
● Support for search from within other compatible apps on your device
● Universal app for iPod, iPhone, and iPad
● Fully detailed color Retina Display images
● Bookmark your favorite words
● Copy words and text to clipboard
● Word-of-the-Day notifications
● New design and improved navigation
● Adjustable font scaling to support visually impaired users
● Saved bookmarks will be updated in a forthcoming release
The ultimate learner's resource of the English language for use anywhere, anytime.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Sixth Edition (LDOCE6)
© Pearson Education Limited 2009, 2015
Minor bug fixes & improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Looking forward to LDOCE5 features
- No Split screen in iPad
- No phrasal verb search
I'm a LDOCE5 lover. After thinking for a couple of weeks, I made my mind to buy this worse version. Without "phrase search" you get no result for very basic search query such as "look forward" and it's disappointing. The only reason that I bought this app was to support LDOCE team. Please update your app!
Don’t Waste Your Precious Mony on This App Please
Great Content But Poor App. Don’t waste your valuable money on this app please. It has really wonderful definition for every entry, and its definitions are much easier to understand for English learners compare to other dictionaries, but unfortunately the app has not developed to work smoothly and powerfully, especially in looking up phrases, idioms and misspelled words. I hope the developer take some measures to solve the issues. Furthermore , the app doesn’t have high resolution. In addition, it doesn’t pronounce the sentences offline and just entries have offline voice. On the other hand, contents are not as complete as Longman desktop version, for example it doesn’t contain language activator or extra examples section.
I do appreciate its developers and I hope they do something for the performance of the app.
After new update the app has got worse, in some entries there are missed parts and also when you leave the app in the background and come back on it again, it needs to get launched again.
I’m so regret paid for this app. I have this app but I have to use free Longman Dictionaries in the App Store with advertisement because they work better than this.
Improvement and my 2 suggestions
Suggestion 1. It is too hard to access the word information, verb table, and thesaurus, which are all hidden under the "i" button. Those information are so useful, and the design makes me feel inconvenient in comparison to the LDOCE5. I suggest to move those information to the very top of the interface.
Suggestion 2. The status bar is all-black when using the app. At least shows the time and the battery.
Other than these, I think this app is pretty robust. But before you fix it, I will still suggest others to stay on LDOCE5.
- Pearson Education Limited
- 633.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 1978-2015 Pearson Education Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.