Mastonaut is a Mastodon client for Mac.
Mastodon is a distributed social network of over 2 million users and hundreds of servers catering to the most varied set of interests and topics. Mastonaut is an easy-to-use and beautiful window into this world. Browse, follow, interact, and contribute to this amazing community from the comfort of your Mac.
As a lovingly-crafted app from a Mastodon user to other Mastodon users, Mastonaut is made to integrate with macOS in the finest aspects. Some features include:
* Thoughtful interface, made for the Mac, with simple usability and powerful capabilities.
* A concise status composer, that also lets you submit posts with image and video attachments that can be drag-and-dropped from Finder.
* Keyboard navigation, so you can quickly browse through your feed
* Polls support: Vote on polls right from your timelines, and compose your own, right from Mastonaut.
* Instance emoji support: Each mastodon instance has its own set of custom and often animated emoji. Mastonaut makes sure you can enjoy them at their best by letting you see them in your timelines, and also letting you insert them using a picker in the composer. But if you're a pro you can also insert instance emoji by simply typing their shortcode between colons.
* Versatile column-based layout, that allows browsing anywhere from a simple and straightforward single-column mode, to a many column window that lets you keep everything that's happening now right in front of you.
* Multi-Account support, so that you can manage and post from several accounts (even in different servers) at once (and quickly switch between them via keyboard shortcuts).
* Mention auto-complete: Just type the first few characters from a user's handle to get Mastonaut to suggest them to you.
* Full support for media and content warnings (spoiler warnings), so that you don't have to see what you don't want to see.
* Annotated media support, so you can access the accessibility labels of attachments in posts, but also insert annotations on your own posts.
* Search: Find users by handle or display name, and lookup hashtags.
* Delete & Redraft: We all make typos, so Mastonaut lets you quickly delete and re-draft your statuses. It will even reuse the attachments from the original status so you don't need to upload them again.
* Notifications: Get notified when other users mention you, or favorite your toots. Notifications can be configured per account.
* Share extension: Share webpages, text, and images right from other apps such as Safari, Photos, or Finder.
* Saved tags: Bookmark your tags to easily browse through them later.
* Account editing support: You can update most of your accounts settings from Mastonaut, including your avatar and header, your bio, fields, and more.
The goal for Mastonaut is to be the best client for Mastodon, period. User feedback is extremely welcome, as this is the only way that such a bold goal can be achieved.
If you're unfamiliar with the Mastodon network and would like to learn more, visit joinmastodon.org.
To learn more about Mastonaut, visit mastonaut.app.
Note to Pleroma users: Although Pleroma servers are supported, there are some quirks and differences in the APIs that makes it hard for a client to support both Pleroma and Mastodon fully. In cases where API issues are present, Mastonaut opts to honor Mastodon's behavior first. Bugs have been filed with Pleroma's developers for the known issues, but since Mastodon is a complex system, comprehensive support can't be guaranteed. Feel free to reach out at the support link for Mastonaut if you have any questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Mastonaut will not interact with servers that are known to not moderate the content posted by their users. The list of blocked servers is not comprehensive, and might change under request from Apple, or at the discretion of the developer. The list of blocked servers is available at the support link. Thank you for your understanding.
This update fixes a crash that some users were experiencing after updating to 1.3.6. Otherwise this release is identical to 1.3.6 with several tweaks and improvements:
- Local filters are now fully supported. Mastonaut will hide toots that match non-permanent filters, and you can manage your filters from the Mastonaut Preferences window, under the Account tab.
- Custom toot length: You can now set a per-account custom toot length limit from the Mastonaut Preferences window, under the Account tab. Your instance server will still reject toots longer than its length limit. This preference is made specifically for users with accounts in instances that have a non-standard toot length limit.
- Add option to reload the contents of a column (useful if your connection is choppy or when the toot streaming is not working properly).
- Fixed bug that caused a glitch to happen when hiding the sidebar while on full-screen.
- Tweaked performance when rendering lots of animated emoji, especially in the toot composer emoji picker.
- Fix issue that could cause certain instances not to be recognized in the when adding an account.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Mastodon client
Mastonaut has most of what I want in a Mastodon app, and it is regularly improving.
One thing I wish for: the notifications/activity panel to stay open between app launches. It's a little thing, but it's kind of tedious to have to reopen it every time I launch Mastonaut.
Otherwise, I'm pretty happy. Buy it.
Nice, but stops updating periodically
This is one of the better Mastodon clients for the Mac but it has a tendency to stop updating. This usually happens overnight but will occasionally stop after a couple of hours. Switching timelines usually gets it going again but you shouldn't have to do this.
Developer Response ,
Hello. The version that was just released (1.3.2) brings fixes for this issue and others. Please let me know if it persists. Thank you for using Mastonaut!
Update 2020-04-26; Pretty good, could use polish
Mastonaut does what it says it does, which is pretty good, because it says it does a lot!
I'm enjoying using it to stay updated on the instances I'm on. It supports macOS's dark mode without me needing to tell it, which seems to be a common shortcoming for a lot of apps for similar platforms.
Most of my criticisms concern the UI. This is good! It means that the app mostly does what it should and I'm not frustrated by lost data or anything like that.
The first criticism is that, when the app is fullscreen, the window to compose a new toot opens on the main desktop space. I would expect, like with e.g. Mail.app or Twitter apps, the compose window to open as part of the app's full screen window. This is not a major annoyance, but it does take me out of the flow of composing. I wouldn't want to compose a long thread in Mastonaut right now because of this, though. Similarly, having an active conversation with someone would be inconvenient in fullscreen.
The next issue I've encountered is that the UI buttons for interacting with media windows that pop up sometimes are hard to see, and there are two sets of icons that show up. One is the set you expect in a macOS app, the others don't belong and seem like they're part of a Chrome webapp view.
Another issue, that I just encountered, is that somehow I triggered video playback on a video that wasn't open when I hit the wrong key somewhere in the app's UI. I'm not sure how this happened, but it wasn't what I expecting. The video wasn't visible in the UI.
Another minor issue relates to replying to boosted toots. When I do this, the booster is left out. I would at least like the option to include the booster so that everyone involved can participate in the conversation. I'm new to Mastodon so this may be a social convention, but I'd at least like the option to do things the way I want rather than having to do it manually.
The most serious issue that I've encountered, the one that prompted this review so that it gets visibility, is that Mastonaut doesn't show replies to toots when I select "show toot details". This means that I can't view conversation threads in Mastonaut and need to open threads in my browser. I'd really like to have all of my Mastodon experiences in Mastonaut, but this in particular makes it very difficult. My interactions on the platform center around conversations, so not having conversations supported means I can't quite do everything I need in the app.
*That said*, though, this is a *very* polished app that really feels native on macOS, and that's not something I've come to expect of federated chat / social apps. Bravo! I really look forward to seeing the app mature and grow, and am happy to have purchased it.
Mastonaut still doesn't supprt filters, which means that if you find content triggering (like I do), Mastonaut doesn't protect you from it. This makes it untenable as a client for me. It's polsihed, it does pretty much everything I want, but until it supports filters, I can't really use it for the sake of my mental health.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
- 10.6 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2021 Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.