Mastonaut is a Mastodon client for Mac.
Mastodon is a distributed social network of over 2 million users and hundreds of servers catering to the most varied set of interests and topics. Mastonaut is an easy-to-use and beautiful window into this world. Browse, follow, interact, and contribute to this amazing community from the comfort of your Mac.
As a lovingly-crafted app from a Mastodon user to other Mastodon users, Mastonaut is made to integrate with macOS in the finest aspects. Some features include:
* Thoughtful interface, made for the Mac, with simple usability and powerful capabilities.
* A concise status composer, that also lets you submit posts with image and video attachments that can be drag-and-dropped from Finder.
* Polls support: Vote on polls right from your timelines, and compose your own, right from Mastonaut.
* Instance emoji support: Each mastodon instance has its own set of custom and often animated emoji. Mastonaut makes sure you can enjoy them at their best by letting you see them in your timelines, and also letting you insert them using a picker in the composer. But if you're a pro you can also insert instance emoji by simply typing their shortcode between colons.
* Versatile column-based layout, that allows browsing anywhere from a simple and straightforward single-column mode, to a many column window that lets you keep everything that's happening now right in front of you.
* Multi-Account support, so that you can manage and post from several accounts (even in different servers) at once (and quickly switch between them via keyboard shortcuts).
* Mention auto-complete: Just type the first few characters from a user's handle to get Mastonaut to suggest them to you.
* Full support for media and content warnings (spoiler warnings), so that you don't have to see what you don't want to see.
* Annotated media support, so you can access the accessibility labels of attachments in posts, but also insert annotations on your own posts.
* Search: Find users by handle or display name, and lookup hashtags.
* Delete & Redraft: We all make typos, so Mastonaut lets you quickly delete and re-draft your statuses. It will even reuse the attachments from the original status so you don't need to upload them again.
* Notifications: Get notified when other users mention you, or favorite your toots. Notifications can be configured per account.
* Share extension: Share webpages, text, and images right from other apps such as Safari, Photos, or Finder.
* Saved tags: Bookmark your tags to easily browse through them later.
* Account editing support: You can update most of your accounts settings from Mastonaut, including your avatar and header, your bio, fields, and more.
The goal for Mastonaut is to be the best client for Mastodon, period. User feedback is extremely welcome, as this is the only way that such a bold goal can be achieved.
If you're unfamiliar with the Mastodon network and would like to learn more, visit joinmastodon.org.
To learn more about Mastonaut, visit mastonaut.app.
Note to Pleroma users: Although Pleroma servers are supported, there are some quirks and differences in the APIs that makes it hard for a client to support both Pleroma and Mastodon fully. In cases where API issues are present, Mastonaut opts to honor Mastodon's behavior first. Bugs have been filed with Pleroma's developers for the known issues, but since Mastodon is a complex system, comprehensive support can't be guaranteed. Feel free to reach out at the support link for Mastonaut if you have any questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Mastonaut will not interact with servers that are known to not moderate the content posted by their users. The list of blocked servers is not comprehensive, and might change under request from Apple, or at the discretion of the developer. The list of blocked servers is available at the support link. Thank you for your understanding.
This update brings many small changes and improvements to Mastonaut:
* Toots now display if they're part of a thread
* Animated attachments now loop automatically in the preview window, instead of only playing once
* Add new preference to auto-play video and animated attachments
* The composer window now automatically inserts Zero-Width-Space characters between custom emojis, so they render properly without spaces between them (you can turn this feature off)
* Improve reliability of even sockets, meaning Mastonaut should better keep updating your timeline, including after your Mac comes back from sleep
* Limits the amount of text that can be displayed in a toot while in the timeline. To see the full contents, you can click the "show entire contents"
* When showing poll results, the total votes count is now visible
* The composer should now count characters exactly like the Mastodon web client does
* Improve scrolling speed by using a different attachment image resize method
* Fix how Mastonaut behaves on systems with multiple displays
* Fix crash when re-opening the custom emoji picker when there's text in the filter/search text box
* Fix some links not working when they have an ampersand character in the query part
* Always show the attachment and the composer windows over the Mastonaut window that was clicked to show it
* Fix the sidebar divider sometimes using the wrong dark/light style
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great Mastodon client
Mastonaut has most of what I want in a Mastodon app, and it is regularly improving.
One thing I wish for: the notifications/activity panel to stay open between app launches. It's a little thing, but it's kind of tedious to have to reopen it every time I launch Mastonaut.
Otherwise, I'm pretty happy. Buy it.
Nice, but stops updating periodically
This is one of the better Mastodon clients for the Mac but it has a tendency to stop updating. This usually happens overnight but will occasionally stop after a couple of hours. Switching timelines usually gets it going again but you shouldn't have to do this.
Developer Response ,
Hello. The version that was just released (1.3.2) brings fixes for this issue and others. Please let me know if it persists. Thank you for using Mastonaut!
Update 2020-04-26; Pretty good, could use polish
Mastonaut does what it says it does, which is pretty good, because it says it does a lot!
I'm enjoying using it to stay updated on the instances I'm on. It supports macOS's dark mode without me needing to tell it, which seems to be a common shortcoming for a lot of apps for similar platforms.
Most of my criticisms concern the UI. This is good! It means that the app mostly does what it should and I'm not frustrated by lost data or anything like that.
The first criticism is that, when the app is fullscreen, the window to compose a new toot opens on the main desktop space. I would expect, like with e.g. Mail.app or Twitter apps, the compose window to open as part of the app's full screen window. This is not a major annoyance, but it does take me out of the flow of composing. I wouldn't want to compose a long thread in Mastonaut right now because of this, though. Similarly, having an active conversation with someone would be inconvenient in fullscreen.
The next issue I've encountered is that the UI buttons for interacting with media windows that pop up sometimes are hard to see, and there are two sets of icons that show up. One is the set you expect in a macOS app, the others don't belong and seem like they're part of a Chrome webapp view.
Another issue, that I just encountered, is that somehow I triggered video playback on a video that wasn't open when I hit the wrong key somewhere in the app's UI. I'm not sure how this happened, but it wasn't what I expecting. The video wasn't visible in the UI.
Another minor issue relates to replying to boosted toots. When I do this, the booster is left out. I would at least like the option to include the booster so that everyone involved can participate in the conversation. I'm new to Mastodon so this may be a social convention, but I'd at least like the option to do things the way I want rather than having to do it manually.
The most serious issue that I've encountered, the one that prompted this review so that it gets visibility, is that Mastonaut doesn't show replies to toots when I select "show toot details". This means that I can't view conversation threads in Mastonaut and need to open threads in my browser. I'd really like to have all of my Mastodon experiences in Mastonaut, but this in particular makes it very difficult. My interactions on the platform center around conversations, so not having conversations supported means I can't quite do everything I need in the app.
*That said*, though, this is a *very* polished app that really feels native on macOS, and that's not something I've come to expect of federated chat / social apps. Bravo! I really look forward to seeing the app mature and grow, and am happy to have purchased it.
Mastonaut still doesn't supprt filters, which means that if you find content triggering (like I do), Mastonaut doesn't protect you from it. This makes it untenable as a client for me. It's polsihed, it does pretty much everything I want, but until it supports filters, I can't really use it for the sake of my mental health.
- Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
- 7.9 MB
- Social Networking
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2020 Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.