"It's one of those apps that is so good it should be built-in." - TJ Luoma (TUAW)
"You should check it out. It’s pretty frickin’ useful." - Charlie Sorrel (Cult of Mac)
"My beloved, artisanal Remount app finally has an official equivalent." - John Siracusa (Ars Technica)
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Please visit our website to try Mountain before you buy it.
UPDATES: Mac App Store customers get the latest version of Mountain for free on our web site.
Living seamlessly in the menu bar Mountain allows you to manage volumes with ease.
● With Mountain you can mount, unmount or eject drives with two easy clicks.
Unmount a single drive or eject all external drives at once. Unmounted drives will be spinned down and can either be unpluged or reactivated in Mountain without the need to unplug the USB cable and re-plug it again.
● Mountain identifies and notifies you about applications that block drives from being ejected and allows you to easily exit the applications.
● Mountain can be set to notify you whenever a drive becomes available or an external device can be safely unplugged . A click on the notification will open the drive in Finder.
● The Mountain menu bar icon will indicate if external volumes are connected or if it is safe to unplug all connections including network connections.
● Resolves an issue which caused showing hidden system volumes.
● Resolves an issue which hindered SD cards to be unmounted
● Resolves an issue which may have caused a delay mounting/unmounting volumes
● Resolves an issue which may have caused a delay showing a volume in Finder
● Resolves an issue which might have caused external HDDs not going to sleep after being unmounted.
● Resolves an issue which caused not to open a mounted volume in Finder although the option was selected in the preferences.
● Improves mistakable descriptions in the preferences.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Doesn't function, no way to verify download, repeated crashes forcing reboot
I purchased this from the app store 8 days ago. The first thing I noticed is that nothing worked other than opening a web page stating it needed to be downloaded from a web page. The entire reason the app store exists is so people don't have to download and install from sketchy web pages. I searched for then asked for a verification method. The auto-responder stated they try to respond to all requests within 4 days. I asked them once again, how to verify the download, again, no response. I thought I would give them the benefit of being morons that don't understand why downloads need a method of verification, be it something as weak as a MD5 or as strong as a PGP signed file.
Making a mistake I ran it. It doesn't recognize external drives, then crashes the system when a forced unmount is attempted.
Additionally, Apple refuses to refund!
Wihtout a doubt, the most regretable app purchase I've ever made.
Terrific App and Support
If you have any issues with external drives this is extremely helpful - especially if they are ever erratic e.g. randomly unmount themselves, or don't remount after they go to sleep. Great for re-mounting drives that are physically connected but don't show in Finder - Mountain recognizes them and can mount them. You don't have to unplug and replug them to get them recognized and remounted.
Developers are extremely responsive, and couldn't be more reasonable. I'm very pleased! I don't usually write reviews, but these guys deserve it. BTW I'm using a MBPro with two FW800 drives daisy-chained; and my 2 kids are using MBAirs w/ the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock connected to USB 3.0 drives, ethernet, and cinema displays. It works well for all of us.
Doesn't work sandboxed, out of date, should be removed from App Store.
Website does not make clear that the version in the app store is ancient and does not offer the features described on the website. The website mentions direct downloads for future upgrades but does not explain that what's on the app store is already about five or six years out of date.
The reason the app store exists is to safely download sandboxed apps where I don't have to worry some unknown developer is going to do god knows what with an executable. I even tried downloading the app directly and the first thing it tries to do is install some other helper app. No.
I understand they may not be able to do what they are offering as a sandboxed app, but in that case the answer is to pull the app from the store, not dupe people into paying for something they'll need to direct-download to use.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.