Movist is an easy-to-use and powerful movie player. You can choose either the QuickTime or FFmpeg decoder for each video codec and reopen with other decoders instantly. Movist supports many useful features to enjoy movies including H.264, H.265/HEVC hardware video decoder acceleration, digital audio out (S/PDIF), high-quality subtitles, a convenient & beautiful user interface and more.
Just Enjoy Movies with Movist.
• Single Window Mode or Multiple Document Mode.
• App Sandbox supported.
• Retina Display supported.
• HDR Tone Mapping
• Various File Formats supported.
• Various Video & Audio Codecs supported.
• H.264, H.265/HEVC Video Decoder Acceleration.
• Various Core Image Filters supported.
• Video Rotation & Flip.
• Digital Audio Out (S/PDIF)
• Audio Equalizer supported
• A/V Sync Adjustment.
• High-Quality Subtitles.
• Various Subtitle Formats supported.
• Embedded Subtitles supported.
• Compressed Subtitles in .zip & .rar supported.
• 3D Subtitles supported.
• Subtitle Displayed in Letter Box.
• Unlimited concurrent subtitle display.
• Fully Customizable Subtitle Display.
• Subtitle Text Encoding auto-detection.
• Subtitle Sync Adjustment.
• Auto-Filling Playlist (searching series & subtitle files)
• Playlist Shuffle & Repeat Mode.
• Playlist Load & Save.
• Playback Speed Adjustment.
• Screenshot Capture.
• Changed the default value of "Use extended volume".
Ratings and Reviews
Maybe not 5 stars, but more than 4
Long time user from back in 1.xxx days frustrated but lack of support and lack of updates. Was surprised and happy to see someone updating to 2.0, but it was so glitchy that I went to IINA for a while. VLC in my opinion never held a candle to Movist, but IINA did because it was “like” an updated Movist. 2.01 came along and it wasn’t much better than 2.0, but 2.03 was much improved, 2.04 was even better so that IINA is no longer default, but back to Movist.
2.0.4 is improved even more and still has some glitches, but it is very usable. I have had trouble remapping the hotkeys, so I just learned the new hotkeys, and it is fine. I have not yet used 2.0.5, but, as I alluded to, since 2.0.4 it is again, happily, my default player…Thanks Movist team for updating and continuing to update, what I think is the best Mac video player out there.
Thank you for keeping it updated.
But I'd like to listen my FLAC files too, could you plase take care of this issue?
Somehow I cannot play the FLAC files!
There are no perfect video players
You pretty much have to try them all and see which is the least worst for you. VLC has all the weird little features, but gets the basics wrong. It flutters to gray screen at the drop of a hat, doesn’t FF and RV without stuttering, and can’t even go to the next file on its own without setting up a tedious playlist. mPlayer is years out of date, except for the copies like sPlayer that the author doesn’t know how to improve. And Movist has preferences so unorganized you pretty much have to hunt the whole screen to find the next setting. But it gets the basics right: 1) beautiful interface, 2) FF/RV that are so fast and clear you can see where you are as the minutes tick by (good with HD, even better with SSD), 3) very few artifacts spoiling my content, 4) enough control I feel i control without so much I feel lost. Its the one I keep coming back to and the one everyone should start with in their own hunt for the perfect player.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.