NewsTap Lite is a Usenet Newsreader for the iPhone, iPad and the iPod Touch.
"NewsTap Lite" is the free version of the "NewsTap" App. "NewsTap Lite" is a fully functional Usenet Newsreader, but it does not support all features of the "NewsTap" App. The Lite version only supports one server and can only subscribe to two group.
Features of NewsTap Lite:
- Optimized for offline usage. Download and send out articles in one go and then you can read and write articles completely offline.
- Supports binary groups with photos and other files.
- Supports filters to mark articles as read or mark them with a certain color.
- Hyperlinks are automatically detected and can be opened in a web browser.
- Optimized article layout for the small iPhone display. The original article layout is also available.
- A „tree view“ of a whole discussion makes is super easy to follow even large discussions.
- Highly customizable.
- Post new articles or send follow-ups.
- Build-in help.
For more screenshots please look at the developers web site.
Please check out the full version if you want to read more than 2 groups, need newsrc syncing and if you do not want to see iAds.
Because of a bug in iOS 14 very large and deep threads could not be read properly anymore. So articles of the groups could not be accessed. The new release will include a workaround for this iOS 14 issue, so articles do no longer get lost. There was no such problem under iOS 13 or older.
Ratings and Reviews
Odd Modal UI
OK, so I enter a newsserver in settings and the app launches and since it's the first time it downloads all groups, right. Well not quite. Instead I go to a screen called Connect with a bunch if settings and a download button. Pressing this starts downloading the groups... MODALY!! Other tabs on the tab control are DISABLED!! But wait, it's a tab control? Huh?
Well maybe initial setup is a bit odd... let's add a group to My Groups and dive into some articles. Adding makes sense, a plus button in the NavBar takes you to a list of all groups, tap one, and there it is in the My Groups list.
OK so now I tap it and it takes me to the articles, right? Wrong. It takes you to an empty list. Hmmmm. What to do?No Refresh button in the NavBar. Maybe that odd Connect tab will help? Ah. That's it. Back to Connect, hit button... articles start to download... and WE ARE LOCKED OUT OF THE OTHER TABS AGAIN!!!
Hey developer! Downloading content like the articles in a newsgroup is an action in the context of the current view (of the newsgroup), NOT a navigation to another tab and definitely not a modal operation!!!! Read the UI guidelines, they are extensive and very well written.
Posting not working
Switching apps causes all entered text to disappear
Makes it hard to set up servers and connections. Not user-friendly, cannot recommend.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander Clauss
- 5.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2021 Alexander Clauss
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.