NewsTap is a powerful Usenet Newsreader for the iPad, iPhone and the iPod Touch.
- Optimized for offline usage, so you can read and write news articles without an internet connection
- It's easy and simple to subscribe, manage and read news groups.
- Filters (also known as "Killfile") can automatically mark articles as read or mark them with a certain color.
- The application fully supports the portrait and landscape mode.
- Support for binary groups (photos and other files). Photos and pictures can be displayed directly. It's possible to add photos into the photo album or open them in other Apps.
- Quotes are displayed in different colors. Colors are also used to distinguish between read and unread articles, filtered articles.
- Hyperlinks are automatically detected and can be opened in a web browser.
- Optimized article layout for the small iPhone display. The original article layout is also available.
- Navigate within the articles from within the thread view or simply by flipping to the next/previous article with your finger.
- A graphical „tree view“ visualizes a complete discussion and makes it super-easy to follow and participate discussions.
- It's possible to hide articles that are already read and to hide quotes.
- Sync the read/unread states of the articles using a „newsrc“ file with other usenet client. The sync can be done via SFTP, WebDAV, Dropbox and iCloud.
- Post new articles or send followups.
- Build-in help, which explains all the application features.
For more screenshots please look at the developers web site.
Fixes an issue with the keyboard which is sometimes covering the text when editing postings.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
cannot Watch threads
A lot of potential, but not quite there yet. Really like the layout and it does a number of things well (thread hierarchy tree is really cool), but missing a key feature that, for me, makes it unusable.
There is no ability to flag threads in a group that you want to Watch. So you have to manually scan the entire group each time you start Newstap to see if anything you are interested in has changed. I monitor a very active group with hundreds of new threads per week, and unfortunately, can't use Newstap without this feature. Had to go back to other alternatives.
On the plus side, Alexander was very responsive to my queries on this subject and will hopefully consider adding a Watch function in the future.
Works for me
Been using this app for a while now as my usenet reader. Never had any of the problems mentioned in other reviews. Works as advertised for me.
After downloading all the newsgroups, program disconnects while downloading the descriptions. I’ve tried several times and waisted many, many minutes in the process. It does this EVERY time! Very frustrating! At this point, it’s unusable.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Alexander Clauss
- 5.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 Alexander Clauss
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.