NOISE is a free app that makes music mobile, so you can sketch musical ideas anywhere you take your connected device. Using easy-to-learn gestures you’ll create beats, melodies, and songs with a diverse library of sounds — all on the touch screen of your phone or tablet. Extend the musical power of NOISE by pairing it with ROLI BLOCKS devices.
A NEW APPROACH TO MAKING MUSIC
A glass surface becomes unbelievably musical with NOISE, which lets you make and shape sounds by drumming the screen, gliding your fingers along it, pressing into it, and lifting off. You create music through intuitive gestures on a series of easy-to-navigate interfaces.
A HIGH-POWERED MUSICAL SKETCHPAD
Not only can you perform music with NOISE. You can also produce. Start by choosing from custom-made sounds that range from to string sections to crunchy hip hop basses. Record basslines and melodies as loops of varying lengths. Mix and match your loops to build amazingly multi-layered songs — all within the app. Then export your project to desktop studio software and refine your musical idea further.
500 SOUNDS — AND GROWING
The ever-growing library of NOISE sounds include powerful percussion, sparkly synths, magic flutes, head-banging guitar leads, rousing orchestrals, and stunningly life-like acoustic strings and brass. World-renowned artists like Pharrell, Grimes, RZA of Wu-Tang Clan, Steve Aoki, and Rudimental have also created customized packs of their signature sounds. 35 sounds are completely free, and hundreds more are available through in-app purchases.
ROLI BLOCKS TAKES YOUR MUSIC TO THE NEXT LEVEL
The power of NOISE expands when you connect to ROLI BLOCKS, the modular music-making system. Pairing wirelessly, NOISE becomes the sound engine for the Lightpad Block and Seaboard Block controllers. Apply the musical gestures you’ve learned in NOISE to the pressure-responsive silicone surfaces of BLOCKS — and be even more expressive. Watch films and learn more about BLOCKS on ROLI.com.
• Phone 6 or higher
• iPhone SE
• iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro
• iPod Touch 6th Gen
• iOS 9 or higher
This update includes some exciting new features to assist you taking your sounds further in NOISE.
• Performance effects - From Crunchy Delays to Wobbbling Filters, you can now add even more expressivity with the addition of two effects slots and a variety of presets. Assign a Lightpad to either slot or control on-screen
• AUv3 Updates - You can now play and record with your favourite NOISE Drum and Groove Kits in hosts such as Garageband with the addition of a new AUv3. Seaboard and Drum Grid visualisers have also been added to all plug-ins when used in full screen mode
• Updated Navigation - The navigation has been consolidated to a single tab bar and dual screen support has been added on iPad, allowing you to control instruments on the right and either clips, mixer or effects on the left
• Improved Performance - The app has been further optimised to improve performance on devices such as the iPhone 6 and iPad mini 4
Other improvements and fixes include:
• Fixed multiple bugs in the sign up process, including a more responsive scrolling and quicker loading of T&Cs
• UI Refresh of buttons and background
• Fixed issue where pitch correction was jumping around when in hide mode
• Fixed occasional stuck notes when stopping Learn Loops
We would love your feedback and are also here to help! If you have any questions, comments or problems, please check out support.roli.com. If you are enjoying your experience using NOISE we would really appreciate you rating it on the App store.
The ROLI Team
Ratings and Reviews
I spoke too soon
Hard one to gauge but it’s a big disappointment so far - others have gone in depth and I’ve written a couple evolving reviews myself, but really, the lack of continued updates is the kicker.
4 months now and all the bugs and shortcomings remain. Hopefully, a big one is coming, because I’m addition to most of what others have written, the sounds library is showing it’s age, especially drums. I find myself using the same 2-3 kits and I doubt I could ever eventually release the tracks cause RZA probably owns them (smh). Lack of patch customization and basic features (like Redo!) make this go from anxious fun to suicidal feelings of rage in an instant. I’ve still been playing intermittently with the blocks because they’re amazing hardware, but any truly useful capacity is maddeningly tough or impossible. Even using a digital recorder to record bass lines and horns etc reveal clicks and pops I wouldn’t expect from a much cheaper endeavor. Is it too taxing on an iPad Pro CPU?? My phone doesn’t have as much distortion, but it still does - and it shouldn’t.
My only hope now is for an update to solve at least half of the issues everyone is having. Please don’t add a bunch of features no one asked for, just make this thing worthwhile. Cheers! Roli is on to something big, just please do it.
This is from Korg iKaossilator category but its much way much above, being able to control much more and get much close to your idea with the ability to write jazz styles with acoustic instruments its just fantastic! It has professional sound quality and the ability to control parameters of sounds with just slides, there is no app like this one, at least from all the music apps i bought since iPhone 4s came out, really this app is one of a kind. Only a-few things i miss that i found useful in many apps;
1. The ability to lower the metronome volume or the option to play only when recording.
2. To edit every pattern after recording. So many times i get to almost the way i want it but only one kick or note in the beginning or at the end its off the line and i need to re-record from the beginning. Being able to edit the pattern or set to a smaller number of quantization will save the original ideas i get when i start to record something. The more i re-record the more i slide away from the original idea but whatever what you do with this app it sounds cool :)
3. This one is not the most important but i think people will appreciate it — the ability to play with a midi keyboard that haz a joystick. To play a note and control the sound parameters with the joystick it sounds cool.
1 year later
I really like this app for what it is. I can do things with this that I can’t even approximate with any other programs or instruments. That said, I have given up trying to use my song maker kit with it. It disconnects constantly, and tells me there are too many blocks connected after I link only one, usually the light lock. I have never been able to use my ROLI kit and the added live block successfully except plugged into my desktop Mac. the set up is not intuitive and constantly disconnects. I have powerful wi fi streaming connection,100mbps that’s not the issue. ROLI sent me to their support pages which have never resolved it for me. So, I’m only using this to make ableton clips and loops. Still I’ve only begun to explore its numerous packs and sounds.
The app gets 4 stars and I’m being generous. I would give it 5 if my $600 song maker kit would stay connected. Please ROLI, there are kinks in this brilliantly conceived soundscape tool. Keep updating please.
- ROLI Ltd.
- 139.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th generation), and iPod touch (7th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2018 ROLI Ltd. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Hybrid Acoustic $3.99
- Expressive Electronic $3.99
- Synthetic Leads $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.