Collect and curate your astronomical images. Search 10+ professional image archives simultaneously. Create master bias, dark and flat frames. Calibrate, register, stack and adjust your FITS, XISF (PixInsight), SBIG and RAW images, all nondestructively.
• Quick Look & Spotlight: display thumbnails, previews and metadata of FITS, XISF and SBIG images in Finder and other applications. Observatory also helps your Mac index the metadata, so you can quickly find your images by dimensions, exposure time, focal length, detector temperature, right ascension, declination and more.
• Discover what’s in your images by overlaying millions of stars, galaxies, planetary nebulae, confirmed exoplanets and other objects of the Messier, NGC/IC, Tycho-2, CGPN 2000, GCVS 5.1, WDS and PGC 2003 catalogs, or use the UCAC4 and USNO-A2.0 catalogs for an additional 500 million stars.
• A flexible hierarchy: create as many libraries as you wish and keep your images organized with albums, smart albums and folders. Let Observatory keep track of your images, without copying, moving or altering them.
• Observatory automatically normalizes the image metadata in its libraries, categorizes images, and supports metadata bulk editing. You can also manually tag, rate, color code, reject or archive images. And you can add notes or attach important reference material to your images and albums.
• A nondestructive preprocessing workflow without the hassle of intermediate files.
⁃ Cosmetic Correction
⁃ Background Neutralization
⁃ Color Balance
⁃ Flatten Background
⁃ Chromatic Align
• Virtual Observatory: search 10+ professional archives simultaneously and download research images from
⁃ European Southern Observatory
⁃ W. M. Keck Observatory
⁃ Gemini Observatory
⁃ Hubble Space Telescope
⁃ Spitzer Space Telescope
⁃ WISE Space Telescope
⁃ Palomar Transient Factory
⁃ SkyMapper Southern Sky Survey
⁃ Two Micron All Sky Survey
⁃ Sloan Digital Sky Survey
⁃ Digitized Sky Survey
• Plate Solving: if some of your images lack the information to relate image pixels to actual sky coordinates, Observatory’s plate solver will help you find the best match.
• Measure: image statistics, aperture photometry, PSF fitting and astrometry.
• Open FITS, XISF and SBIG images at full bit depth in Acorn, with help of our Acorn plugin.
For more information, please watch the videos and read the documentation on our website!
If you have any feedback or questions, we’d love to hear from you! You can reach us by email at email@example.com.
If Observatory empowers you, we would appreciate an App Store review. Your review will help other people find Observatory.
• Improve handling of WCS FITS headers generated by PixInsight.
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing way to exlore and organize astro photos
I have been using Observatory for over two years, I think since its first release and it has gotten better and more responsive with each update. It is a perfect app to organize all your personally taken images. You can also search for images from multiple online catalogs like the DDS, SDSS, 2MASS ... Five thumbs up!
Great idea poorly executed
I love the idea and the featrures of this program. I've tried three times over the last years to include it in my astrophotography work flow but it drives me nuts because it's slow or works in unexpected ways.
When I complained to the author that it was excruciating slow he responded within minutes with a suggestion that I move the library and that helped a lot. So I tried to import my images from last year (~200Gb) and after two days (and nights) the process was still running this morning and it was about ⅔ finished.
And there are irritating UI issues that dont work like I expect an Apple app. For example, you can't CMD-click a series of images to select them, ypu have to switch to the list view.
All that said, the plate solving, automatic keywording based on FITS metadata, automatic smart folders that sort images by type as you iport them, and the Lightroom-like interface are all attractive and make me want to like this program. But I tried (3x) and I can't because it's slow and quirky.
This is excellent software. Photo editing and organization with plate solving. The one thinng that would make it better is if you could plate solve without having to download 10GB of database files
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Code Obsession LLC
- 86.3 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016–2023 Code Obsession, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.