CarbonFin Outliner allows you to organize your thoughts, tasks, and projects. Easily create a todo list for today, or track an entire project anywhere you are. Share your outlines, edit them online, and collaborate with other Outliner users.
• Create outlines full of notes, structured lists, tasks, or detailed projects
• Sync your outlines automatically to Outliner Online, OneDrive, or Dropbox for web or desktop editing
• Get a quick view of project progress - tasks with subtasks show a pie-chart indicating percent completed
• Search through all your outlines or an individual outline
• Tag your outlines, and filter based on tag
• Archive old outlines to hide them from view without deleting
• Drag and drop to move items within an outline
• Copy, paste
• Undo, redo
• Expand all, collapse all
• Optional outline numbering
• Zoom in to focus on a single subtree
• Securely synchronize your outlines with Outliner Online
• View and edit your outlines in any web browser
• Import and export outlines as plain text or OPML
• Keep all your devices synchronized
• Share an outline with other Outliner users to collaborate
OneDrive and Dropbox
• Sync your outlines with OneDrive or Dropbox to allow quick import/export
• Seamlessly access and edit across your iOS devices and PCs
-= Recent version history =-
• Dark mode
• Added confirmation to "Delete Completed"
• Changing "Archived" won't update the outline's modification time
• iOS 13 support
• OneDrive sync support
• Sync the order of outlines across devices (CarbonFin outlines only)
• iOS 12 support
• iPhone X support
• iOS 11 support
• Open In... support
• Ability to hide the outline list on iPad
• Minor UI tweaks
iOS 15 support
Ratings and Reviews
This app is so well designed for making checklists and outlines
Update: 2017: This is still an app I use every day and still appreciate it after all these years. I hope the developer will add a tip jar feature to encourage further improvements. Outliner remains the best and easiest to use checklist and outlining app available. The only improvement I can think of is to enable automatic sorting of outlines by date modified, so the ones I change show up at the top.
I have used it for a few years now and still find it indispensable whenever I need to make a checklist, especially a complex one with subtasks or one which needs to be used daily (I can easily just tap "Uncheck all" and start in again). The website synching makes it easy to create a new outline's items on a computer and then have it show up on my device..
Dropbox Sync Is Broken
Let me start by saying I love this app. I’ve reviewed it with 5 stars before but I’ve recently ran into a problem. I use Dropbox to sync my OPML files and this has worked flawlessly for a long time. However, I had to create a new Dropbox account a few days ago due to a lock. This meant I had to re-connect apps that relied on the platform to Dropbox from scratch. Outliner was one of those apps. Unfortunately, a few hours after authorizing the app, Outliner threw a sync error asking me to re-authorize. I did so thinking it was a fluke. However, this kept happening every time I used Outliner thereafter, the app kept asking me to re-authorize.
At first, I thought this was an issue with mine alone or my Dropbox having a problem. However, upon researching, I found that Dropbox have updated their API with short-lived access tokens that expire in 4 hours time. According to Dropbox team, the app itself needs to be update to make use of permanent tokens if one wishes to authorize access once and have syncing without interruption after.
And so I’m asking the devs here. Please update the app to correctly sync with Dropbox once more. Since there aren’t many cloud storage services, users are limited on their Syncing choices and the buggy behavior slows workflow a lot besides being plain annoying. Considering the bug, the fix should be a quick one and shouldn’t take much effort. Once updated, rating will be back to 5 stars without a doubt.
Best outline app available
I have used this app for a number of years and it is the best, easiest to use app available for creating outlines. I use it daily for tracking home tasks, grocery lists and general to-do lists, as well as using it at work to track my project work. It makes it easy to create and use small lists, but it is particular fast and effective for large lists, eg some of my lists have 2500+ items with up to 5 levels of sublists. The app has gradually improved over the years by adding a variety user-requested features. It has been well-maintained, and upgrades and bugs fixes are provided quickly unlike many iOS apps. I can fully recommend this app to anyone who wants to creates lists and outlines of any size on Apple devices.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeremy Dewey
- 12 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2008-2021 CarbonFin
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.