The oxaBrow App is for those with a diagnosed Calcium Oxalate related Kidney Stones condition. For example, a low oxalate diet with a typical daily restriction of 50 milligrams can easily be managed by getting facts about specific food Oxalate levels.
Calcium Oxalate are found in 80% of the population that have Kidney Stones.
This app presents data of approximately 500 food and ingredient items with in every case a formal reference about the source of data provided.
The convenience of the continuous availability of this app facilitate making eating decisions when:
- at the grocery store,
- at the restaurant,
- as a guess during a meal or
- simply at home while planning a meal.
Gone is the limited and inconvenient Oxalate paper list posted on the refrigerator door.
Every food item listed in the app is presented with:
- a thumbnail image,
- its name,
- the preparation method (if applicable),
- a typical serving size and
- the oxalate level for that serving size.
Selecting an item from that list will present further details such as:
- a larger image,
- the groups it belongs to,
- low Oxalate level food alternatives (if applicable and available) and
- the formal reference of the source of information.
The data is conveniently organized to access it in various ways. Data can be sorted:
- by groups (e.g Vegetable, Meats, Soups...),
- by oxalate level or
- alphabetically within each oxalate level category.
The app also has a search function that immediately present search results as you type avoiding having to type more than necessary. During a search, one can select a food item to view details and come back and carry on searching without having to retype the initial search. At any time, the search can be modified or cancelled. Search is available in any sort mode.
A food item can be hidden using the swipe to the left gesture. Hidden food items are now accessible on a separate list via one of the menu items. A hidden food item can be un-hidden (returned to the main list) by the swipe to the left gesture.
The app database is local to the device and therefore the app does not require once installed.
This application should not be used to replace professional medical advises. The information provided in this application should be used at the user's discretion. FBRD inc. assumes no responsibility in the correctness or the consequences of the utilization of this application.
- Food items can now be hidden using the swipe to the left gesture.
- Hidden food items are now accessible on a separate list via one of the menu items.
- Food items on the hidden items list can be returned to the main list by the swipe to the left gesture.
- There is now a recommendations screen.
- App and Data versions now reported in the Settings App.
- Reorganized the menu
- Internal improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Not worth it
I debated about purchasing the app, but finally did it bc I’m looking for anything that will help ID oxalates - but not finding this to be much better than a google search and most of the things I’ve searched for aren’t there. I have to eat dairy free so I use coconut milk alternatives and they don’t have coconut anything in the listings.
Also - a tracker would be a nice feature for this app to stand out among the low ox community.
Old database used
I thought this app would solve the issue of carrying around a paper list but it down not. The database it uses for reference is a 2007 Harvard reference. The current lists have layered some ingredients like strawberries (very high, not low as this app shows). I am very disappointed I spent money on this.
To the developer - good start, but please update to a current oxalate foods list!
Compared to an app like My Fitness Pal that has a world of foods, this app has only the most used, common foods. If you are a vegan, forget it. None of the brand name meat substitutes are available. Although they App Store shows that alternative choices for foods is available, this does not show up on my iPhone 6.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- conneqtA inc.
- 16.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2015-2019 FBRD Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.