Papers is your personal library of research on the go. Find, read, organize, share and sync your research papers - anytime, anywhere!
• Revolutionize how you collect, organize, and read documents.
• Search simultaneously from 20+ repositories, including PubMed, Google Scholar and ArXiv.
• When you import papers into your library, Papers lets you organize them in collections and read, annotate and freehand draw them in glorious full screen.
• Import Word, PowerPoint, and other document files to your library and organize them just as easy as your PDFs.
• Automatically find and download the PDF for references you import from search engines, when the full-text is available!
• Papers now also optionally lets you synchronize your library via your local Wi-Fi network or Dropbox to your Mac, PC and iOS devices.
• Create Shared Collections and add content to your Reading List, also accessible via your web browser.
• Support for Apple Pencil in the reader mode.
Papers is a full workflow solution designed to make sure you spend time on what’s important: your research.
- Fixes compatibility issues with iOS 11
- Fixes an issue where searching via Google Scholar didn't return any search results
- Improves Dropbox syncing
Ratings and Reviews
Papers is an invaluable resource. I started using it while doing research for my PhD. By saving all my research to Papers I had instant access and an easy method of organization. As a library and search engine it was excellent. I did however find it difficult to easily apply reference information between papers and my word processing program. I did try using Papers as a linked bibliography data base, but this caused problems with existing references and required me to completely rework my footnotes and references. I admit that this nave been because of some misunderstanding on my part. But, I found the help to be less than helpful. So rather than risk having to redo the references and footnotes again I relied on the built in reference and footnote functions within the word processing program.
But, as I said above, I did find the program invaluable as a resource for my PhD and continue to use it as my primary means for searching and accessing research.
Best App to Manage Research
So far this is the best app to track the numerous articles read by every humanities PhD student. The app's key feature is that it provides a central repository to store and organize the hundreds of pdfs of the articles read and makes it easy to manage the citations of these aritcles. Since the work stored in this app makes up a huge part of one's PhD dissertation -- the backing up to Dropbox is a key feature. With that said, this app is not incredibly useful unless one is using it with the desktop companion app. Another criticism would be that the app could make it a bit easier to add more user commentaries and notes to articles. Overall, this is still the best app to manage one's research library!
Loyal fan says: still not up to scratch
I have been a Papers user since their first version's beta. The "iTunes for PDFs" paradigm holds true, they win my 3 stars for that. Metadata imports correctly, easily searchable database etc.
On a modern device though, they have yet to catch up. Synchronization of the database doesn't happen fast enough upon launch; I still find myself manually hitting the synchronization button faster than the software detects the need to. Unacceptable for a mobile solution. The devs should also take a page from Skitch, which allows for really convenient document markup. Finally, yes, they also ask me to rate the software on launch... Not the best time to do so, it is disrespectful of the user's workflow. For those points, two stars lost. Fix those first two, and I will bump my review to 5-stars.
Update: recently downloaded Papers again, and found that it doesn't launch successfully at all after enabling synchronization! I tap the app, it launches, and the promptly quits. Not sure what's going on here...
- 103.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 17+ for the following:
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Digital Science & Research Solutions Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.