- Offers In-App Purchases
The best digital handwriting on iPad. Penultimate combines distraction-free, natural handwriting and sketching with the power of Evernote’s sync and search. Take class or meeting notes, journal your thoughts, or outline your next big idea—in the office or on the go. From the first stroke, Penultimate makes the experience of pen and paper more productive.
INK AND PAPER, MADE BETTER
Notes and drawings look spectacular in black or colored ink. Our inking technology produces pen strokes that look natural, and Wrist Protection prevents stray marks for writers of all grips. Choose from a number of paper styles, or import an image to create personalized paper.
STYLUS AND SOFTWARE BUILT TOGETHER
We worked closely with Adonit to create the stylus we've always wanted: the Jot Script Evernote Edition, the first true precision-point stylus. Penultimate integrates tightly with the stylus and together they make digital handwriting the experience it should be. It’s like writing with your favorite pen. Available now in the Evernote Market.
YOUR WRITING KEEPS PACE WITH YOU
Penultimate lets you work on any part of the page effortlessly. To zoom in on a location on the page, simply pinch in and start writing. With Penultimate's Drift feature enabled, the page will move along with you, automatically adjusting to the pace you are working at.
CONNECT AND SYNC WITH EVERNOTE
Sign in to your Evernote account in the Penultimate app to organize your Penultimate notes in notebooks, separated by topic, project, or category. Your Penultimate notes are synced to Evernote automatically, so you can find and share them across all of your devices.
FIND WHAT YOU NEED QUICKLY
No matter how you prefer to organize your work, Penultimate makes it easy to find the notes you need. Penultimate processes your notes so you can search for handwritten text in the app. Save and browse your work in notebooks and insert, delete, duplicate, and reorganize pages any way you like within them.
MAKE PENULTIMATE MORE POWERFUL
Penultimate is free to download and use. Pair it with Evernote Premium or Evernote Plus for bigger uploads and many other great features.
Two subscription options:
Evernote Premium monthly for $7.99 per month | $69.99 annually
Evernote Plus monthly for $3.99 per month | $34.99 annually
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase.
Terms of Service: https://evernote.com/legal/tos.php
Miscellaneous bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
A pioneer among handwriting apps for iPad, Penultimate has only improved since its 2010 debut. It's great for taking notes, sketching projects, or simply doodling the hours away—and now, with recently added Evernote integration, it's a better productivity tool than ever before.
Hard to beat this...
Penultimate, used in conjunction with Apple Pencil on the iPad Pro 9.7, is hard to beat. It literally looks like i am using a sheet of paper and a pen to take notes in a notebook. I wish that it had sub folders for the notebooks as this would greatly help organize my thoughts when writing novels. Right now, I am using penultimate to create a children's book for my son. Using Procreate, Pencil, and the Smart Keyboard, it is the most seamless creating tool i have ever used. Granted, I haven't used this app with any other stylus. I have used other note taking apps with other styli and I have to say that Apple Pencil is the best ever. So maybe it is the pencil that makes this app so great. I have not yet felt the need to try any other note taking app because Penultimate satisfies most of my needs. Four stars because it meets those needs. I'm not feeling pressed to buy anything. Highly recommend in conjunction with pencil.
Works but a couple annoying features
I use this app every morning for journaling and note taking for 4 months now. As a whole The app works pretty well, especially with the Apple Pen. There are a couple very annoying features though that brought me to write this review.
1. When I pop between apps by swiping up in the iPad (like readings I am going through), when I come back to this app it will sometimes put me back 2-3 pages in my notes from where I left off. This happens about 60% of the time and really gets annoying when you have to keep popping back and forth.
2. You can’t rearrange anything for better organization. Or at least I haven’t found a way and have looked for a long while. What I mean is, you can create folders to house similar documents but you can’t rearrange the order of the folders so that the most commonly used or similar topics would be grouped by each other. They just become scattered without any rhyme or reason. Also heaven forbid you spend an hour taking notes on something in the wrong folder/location, which I have done a couple times now. And that is unfortunately now where those documents live. There is no way of moving it to the correct folder, which in my opinion is almost a deal breaker for a note taking app. If this is possible it is not easily found in the app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cocoa Box Design LLC
- 54.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2006 - 2022 Evernote Corporation
- In-App Purchases
- Time & Tasks Paper Collection $0.99
- Evernote Premium $6.99
- Games Paper Collection $0.99
- Design Collection $0.99
- Music Paper Collection $2.99
- Young Writers Paper Collection $0.99
- Photo Album Paper Collection $0.99
- Evernote Plus $2.99
- Evernote Premium $5.99
- Evernote Plus $5.49