"Pixound Turns Photos into Musical Instruments, and It’s Better Than You Think" — Gizmodo
"Pixound is a trippy music app for iOS that allows users to turn any snap into a song." — MTV Hive
Enjoyed by top musical artists including: Herbie Hancock, David Byrne (Talking Heads), Mark Mothersbaugh (DEVO), Michael Shrieve (Santana) and many more.
Have you ever jammed on Saturn's Rings with a whammy bar? Have you ever played the rainbow? What about you're dog's nose? What does it sound like? How about creating your own music just by dancing? With Pixound you can do all this and much more!
Pixound is a revolutionary form of musical entertainment! Pixound provides a deep musical experience that lets YOU instantly create music using any picture. It's pure fun to play (at any age) and deep because it can be used to play music like you've never heard before. It's so much fun that artist Peter Max bought an iPhone just to have Pixound! Since there is no limit to what pictures you can play from art and graphics to photos and they can be combined with thousands of different musical settings, there is no limit to the music you can create and enjoy. You owe it to yourself to try Pixound!!! By the way, you will learn a lot about music just playing with Pixound so it's also an educational tool, sometimes referred to as a Deep Toy.
• Play any picture from snaps to outer space to art masterpieces
• Play Live Video (in-app purchase) so that reality becomes a musical instrument
• Record audio or use effects processors via Audiobus 2.1 or Inter-app Audio
• Record performances including where you touched in the photo that plays back for others to see.
• Play in any key or scale (over 65 scales/modes)
• Add Bass and Drums from lots of choices
• Tons of musical controls to create a huge variety of great music
• Select from many different autoplay styles including device tilt
• Add harmony voices
• Add Song Progressions from basic to classical and more
• Select from over 127 instruments for four voices R, B, G and bass
• Import samples using AudioShare™
• Save your own settings to Banks and share with others via community or email
• Built-in Reverb
• Save MIDI files and go direct out to MIDI synthesizers (in-app purchase)
• Access and share your creations with the Pixound Community
Ability to control Autoplay and Finger volumes separately
Universal coordinates for performance recording to transfer to all devices and handle rotation
Various bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This is so much easier to use than it used to be, even for a musical novice! What a marvelous way both to learn about and to play music.
Developer Response ,
The tech for this app was patented ... In 1995. And guess what! The patent expired today, the release day for the app. It is not even a very good implementation of the tech. Pitch is vaguely related to luminosity. Color seems to be related to instrument somehow, but everything is crammed into preset tempos and scales, which are not related to image at all, throwing out any discernible connection between the sound and the image. There are many many iOS windows MacOs linux apps that do this better, many for free. Save your buck! Try virtualANS for a decent version of what this says on the tin.
Developer Response ,
You seem to have issues with my patent which had 73 claims where so many music technologies were invented (probably before you were born). Your assessment of the technology is amateur and your description of your usage of the app indicates you barely glanced at the controls and have missed the entire point of pixound—THE ORIGINAL! I'll make sure to mention your opinion to Herbie Hancock, one of many happy pixound users.
Very functional original instrument
This app is very much in the aggregate like an instrument from the future. Like something an alien in the Mos Eisley Cantina would actually play. The reason it is not just another mere sound app is the deepness and complexity of the options. The fact that you can't just jump right in and make meaningful music is a good thing- no real instrument allows you to do that!
Also, the synesthesia element of mixing color with sound also seems futuristic to me, as we slowing creep into a world where our senses meld with digital interfaces and the lines between traditional sensory boundaries begin to blur. Bravo to the developer! I look forward to learning this remarkable device.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Hologramophone Research, Inc.
- 206.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Techné Media. All rights reserved. Pixound™ is a trademark of Techné Media.
- In-App Purchases
- Pixound MIDI Features $2.99
- Pixound Live Video $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.