PocketSword is a Bible Study app for the iPad, iPhone & iPod touch (iOS 8.0 and above) that is built upon the powerful SWORD backend developed by the CrossWire Bible Society.
Modules are available for download (offline use) within the app, with permission granted by the various copyright holders to CrossWire to distribute them for use in its apps. When you download this app, it comes with the KJV & Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible pre-installed, but you can use the downloader within PocketSword (located under the More tab) to choose which additional modules you wish to download from CrossWire and have available for offline use.
There are free modules (both Bible translations and commentaries) available in over 60 languages, including (but not limited to):
English, Greek (modern and ancient), Hebrew, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Arabic, Afrikaans, Latin, Russian, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese and many more.
* Popular Bible translations available in the English language include:
KJV, AKJV, ASV, ESV, NET, Tyndale, WEB and Young's Literal Translation.
* Popular Commentaries available in the English language include:
Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible (as well as the "Concise" version), Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, John Wesley's Notes on the Bible, Abbot, Barnes, Geneva, Luther and more...
(See http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ for a fuller list of the modules).
* Dictionaries are also available within PocketSword, including Easton's Bible Dictionary and Nave's Topical Bible Dictionary.
* Daily Devotionals are also available (under the More tab), including Spurgeon's Morning & Evening.
You can also choose to create your own modules, using the tools available from Crosswire, and install your modules directly from your computer to your iPhone.
The SWORD backend to PocketSword is very powerful and allows for a rich experience for the end user. Currently implemented are:
- Built-in module downloader of modules in many different languages
- Separate Bible, Commentary & Dictionary tabs for quick reference from one to the other: jump to a verse in one and it jumps to the same verse in the other
- Landscape & fullscreen modes
- Choose your font & font size for ease of reading
- Bookmark & History (of Bible & Commentary use) support
- Red Letter support & choice of reading Verse-Per-Line or using paragraphs.
- Night mode for easier reading in the dark
- Install custom-made modules (including those with non-KJV versification, commenly called "Alternative Versification" or av11n)
- Searching within Bibles and Commentaries
- Localisations in many languages.
- Copy and Paste support (of Bible verses, Commentary entries & Dictionary entries).
- Footnotes, cross-references & headings in modules that support them (ESV and KJV, for example)
- Strong's Numbers & Morphology in modules that support them
Follow us on Twitter @PocketSword
- Updated for 64bit
- Updated for iOS 10
- Fixed search!
- Fixed Strong's Numbers search bug
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great App - Crosswire Not Working
I have had this app for years and really like it.
I recently rebuilt my phone and have been trying to reinstall everything. In doing that I noticed that you can’t get files from Crosswire to download.
When you go to the Crosswire folder you can see the choices and select a download but it says it’s downloaded immediately and no files are actually downloaded. This is difficult because that service has both the ESV text and Calvin’s commentaries.
Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
PLEASE, PLEASE UPDATE THIS APP!
I use this app daily, some days several times a day. The tools are excellent!
I just discovered the module for the ESV with Strong’s Numbers—I excitedly downloaded it! HOWEVER, FOR SOME REASON THE STRONG’S NUMBERS ARE NOT SHOWING UP. I even uninstalled and downloaded a second time. I TRULY HOPE THIS CAN BE RESEARCHED AND FIXED.
But I just today updated my iPhone's iOS to 10.3.2 (the newest iOS). I had operated a long time with iOS 10.0.2. I felt for security reasons it was time for me to update. BUT, after updating I was doing some Bible study only to find out that when I accessed my PocketSword I was warned that it was not going to work with the new iOS upgrade, nor future iOS upgrades unless it, too, was upgraded. I am hoping and praying that you who are responsible for the truly wonderful app will be able to make it compatible with the new Apple IOS upgrades very soon. THANKS FOR YEARS OF NEAT AND SOLID BIBLE STUDY TOOLS! I'm hoping for many more years from you. May God bless your endeavors.
By the way, I am now at iOS 11.2.1 (yes, I’m still behind on updates), but the app has continued to work just fine. THANK YOU!
True Bible Students
This is a great app! I have really enjoyed using it. For the most part it is user friendly. I really like the commentaries and the cross references from the TSK module. It helps me find other passages that cover the same point or topic. One of the great things about this app is that I can use it without the need of internet connection. I think thats great! Many Bible apps require internet to use them but not this one. The only problem that I’ve had is not being able to open the module with the maps of the Bible. For some reason I can’t get those to open. Other than that I recommend this app for true Bible students. God bless!
- Nic Carter
- 36.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © 2017 CrossWire Bible Society and Nic Carter
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.