Top-selling dictionary app since 2008 • Every translation you need PLUS verb conjugations in all tenses • No internet connection required!
"For serious language students and translators who are looking for more precision." - The New York Times
Featured by Apple as "What's Hot" and "Staff Favorite"
"Although I am fluent in both English and Portuguese, there are always those words that escape me in conversation, most commonly when referring to technical, academic, political, scientific, or other complex subjects. Parabens, Ultralingua e obrigado pra este applicativo no meu iPhone!" - User review
"I have lived in Brasil for 12 years and read/write/speak Portuguese. I'm familiar with most of the available dictionaries but have never seen one as good and as useful as this one. This is a quality product worth much more than the $20 price!" - User review
Ultralingua makes apps for people who love languages. Our Portuguese-English dictionary has all the definitions and translations you need, along with extra features that help you get the most out of the dictionary.
The verb conjugation tool has complete conjugations for thousands of verbs in all standard forms, and the number translator converts numerals into Portuguese or English text instantly!
• Over 60,000 entries with 165,000 translations
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Conjugations for thousands of Portuguese and English verbs
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds infinitives and catches misspellings
• Must-have reference tool for any student or language professional
• On iPhone/iPod touch, conjugate a verb from the dictionary results by tapping it
• Translate numerals into Portuguese and English text with the number tool
• Language swapper button to switch from Portuguese-English to English-Portuguese
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions look and behave differently to give you a great experience on every device you own. The interface will change, but you’ll always have the same outstanding language data and tools inside.
Dictionaries are available from Ultralingua for many languages, including combinations of English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and more. See what else we have to offer by searching for Ultralingua in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 11 and iPhone X
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
There are two updates I would like to see. First, I would really like to see medical terms put in. Imagine when you are sick and don't have the words to understand what is going on.
Second, I would love for the verb to conjugate directly from the search. Currently, when you find a verb you have to retype the verb in the -ir search. It would save time if I didn't have to retype the verb I had just found.
Otherwise, I love this app. I am fairly fluent in Portuguese and am currently living in Brazil, so this app is so helpful for the words I don't know. I also love the verb conjugation. Thank you.
I bought this dictionary because it was probably the first available for the iPhone and it also always shows up first in searches for Portuguese-English dictionaries. I spend a lot of time in Brazil and having a dictionary on the iPhone is an enormous convenience. But I often find serious problems with the entries in this app: (1) often I can't even find the words that I am looking for, encountered in Folha de Sao Paulo or some revista about the novellas. In other words, palavras that should be in a useful dictionary. (2) many of the definitions offered are too brief and misleading or offer only one meaning when several can be found in other dictionaries (eg the iPhone Aurelio). Sometimes it actually seems to be just plain incorrect.
What is strange is that Ulta-lingua offers the excellent Collins dictionary at the same price. they should simply remove this dictionary from their catalog and stick with their much superior alternative
The app does offer conjugation of verbs however, and this is very useful but this same feature is available in the Collins dictionary also.
I wish all apps were this good
Shortly after buying my iPhone two years ago I bought the Ultralingua Portuguese-English dictionary app for it. Although I was hesitant given the price, it turned out to be a well-spent $20. The dictionary quality itself is as good as a medium to large-sized dictionary (not as good as the two-volume reference dictionary I have), but the UI is what makes it worth it -- making it easy to switch between definitions and verb conjugations -- everything is linked the way you want it to be. And they have made regular updates to the app as needed. When I bought my iPad, I was very pleased that they turned their dictionaries into "universal" apps so it had a special UI for the iPad without requiring a separate purchase. I can't recommend this app enough.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 19.3 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2018
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.