A more human chess engine.
Primus is an entirely original, modern chess engine specifically designed for the intermediate player (up to 2000 Elo). It has been carefully tuned to play less like a machine and more like a human. At lower levels, it makes blunders of a straightforward kind that are easy to spot, but at higher levels more careful play is required to take advantage of more subtle tactical and even strategic errors. At its highest levels, Primus plays at around 2000 Elo, but even at the very highest levels, it still has occasional simulated lapses of concentration.
The engine was conceived out of frustration with the overwhelming tactical strength of modern chess engines. Most modern chess engines are so tactically strong that extremely careful defensive and anti-computer play is required to make any progress; in other words, it's nothing like playing a human. We wanted to create an engine that allows for a more human, strategic style of play where there's room to take advantage of the occasional blunder.
We've included a mate puzzle generator to create an almost infinite variety of checkmate puzzles that allow you to sharpen your chess instincts, and multiplayer modes that allow you to use your device as a virtual chessboard, or play via bluetooth or wireless with a local opponent.
We've also added a "Time Control" mode, to allow you to play using standard chess time controls, rather than a predefined difficulty level.
- Mate puzzle generator - an almost infinite number of puzzles.
- Two player mode over Bluetooth / Lan.
- Tabletop mode so you can use your device as a virtual chessboard.
- Various different boards, pieces and graphical options.
- Support for all skill levels from total novice to expert.
- Supports all orientations, so you can make full use of your iPad Smart Case or stand.
- Supports multitasking, so you can follow along with videos/ebooks.
- Focus mode, to hide the UI so you can focus on the board.
- Puzzles and practice levels, so you can practice your endgames or play some interesting challenge levels.
- Mini-tournament mode - a six-game mini tournament mode for the more serious player.
- Elo rating estimation from your game results.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Performance improvements
- Modifications to move takeback logic
Ratings and Reviews
Most realistic-looking boards I've seen.
My most common disappointment with my many chess games is there always seems to be bad angle designs. Even with pivoting boards there never seems to be a satisfying angle. This game, however, is gorgeous! I haven't found a way to turn off legal moves yet. That is my only gripe so far with this game. Other than that, I absolutely love playing this! It feels just right!
Great App. Beautiful. Many levels of play and AI tournaments are available. Good for beginners and intermediate players.
You can play in whatever mode suits your level of expertise and energy.
Fairly disappointed with this one
The game forces me to play black I like to play white. Very few or no pregame settings available. Can’t adjust any game settings before you play. It just starts to play. Slightly disappointed you can’t slide the pieces Instead of having the computer move them. I was hoping it would play like a real 3d board . That’s what I was hoping I would get with one of the more expensive games available.
The developer, DBRG Ltd., has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- DBRG Ltd
- 198.8 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 DBRG Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.