“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
Added trash and archive swipe gestures in the sent folder
Added TLS-Pinning hard fail to the confirm dialog
Added iPad multiple window support (present since the last version)
Opening a draft from search now opens the composer instead of the message view
Fixed crash when restoring the app to empty mailbox
Fixed iPadOS 13 crash when changing default browser in settings
Fixed the "open new link" action sheet on iOS 13
Disabled the importing of contact notes (waiting for Apple's permission before re-enabling this feature)
Fixed ECC key signature issue
Fixed email verification deeplink on iOS 13
Improvements to the Siri Shortcuts feature
Ratings and Reviews
Great service, lacking a few features to make it a home run
ProtonMail is an excellent service for both the privacy conscious and the masses. The reason so many email providers are free is because it the provider is in a privileged position to scan all of your emails. ProtonMail sets itself apart from the rest, and doesn’t read your email, or store it in a format that they can access.
I would highly recommend a paid plan, even if you don’t need any paid features. Pay for your usage with your money, not your data.
However, the absence of one feature makes the ProtonMail experience painful (-1 star): No notification dismissal syncing. If I read an email on my iPad, it will still show the notification on my phone until I open the app. Almost every other mail/chat app has notification dismissal syncing, but when I asked ProtonMail about implementing this feature, they said it was not possible. If they found a way to add this feature (and it’s possible considering other services can do it), then this service would be a true 5 stars.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thank you for your feedback. We plan to improve our notification synchronization in the near future. We would appreciate if you consider updating your review once this feature is released.
Face ID not working to login to App
It seems that Face ID is not working to login to the App. I’ve tried multiple times by first logging in manually and then enabling Face ID.
But every time I logout and then try to log back in, Face ID is not initiated. I login manually again and see that Face ID is disabled. I enable it again, but it goes back to being disabled every time I close the App.
Is the Face ID function only for access when the App is logged in, or is it designed to allow fore using Face ID to login when initially opening the app?
Reply to developer: I saw your reply and do not agree because after three days of trying, the App will now allow me to login with Face ID. I don’t know what changed in the App, but I just kept doing the same thing. I have now installed the ProtonMail App on my wife’s phone and Face ID is working properly too. Increased my rating from 3 to 4 stars.
Update #2: thanks for replying back to feedback so quickly! No, I did not need to choose or select any keychain or password icon. When the app is completely closed (swiping up from the bottom, on both an iphone X and XS Max, to close the ProtonMail app), then pressing the PM icon only once to open the app: FaceID now comes up immediately and after correct recognition, the PM app is unlocked and accessible. It was not like this when I first installed the app, but now it works this way.
Developer Response ,
Face ID can only be used for unlocking the app after you’re already logged in, and settings will go back to default ones once you logout.
That is done by security reasons: we do not want to keep any user-related data on device after logout. Storing credentials required for login would be totally insecure in case your device is stolen and hacked.
Update: probably, you mean FaceID auth initiated by Password AutoFill feature, that happens when you tap ‘🔑 Passwords’ button above the keyboard? That is system level feature and not part of our app. In order to make it work, you’ll need to save login and password in iCloud Keychain - Apple’s password manager - in device settings:
Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Website & App Passwords
Almost everything I need
I've been a paid subscriber for a while and this app works almost perfectly with the following exceptions:
1. No option for threaded view of messages (something that the web app does support and is sorely missed here)
2. Sometimes the inbox doesn't refresh automatically when a new email notification is triggered. I.e., I'll get a notification of a new mail, tap the notification to check it, open the app, and see no new emails in the inbox. I'll have to manually refresh to see it.
3. After refreshing the inbox to see new mail as in #2, tapping the new message to read it doesn't work for a moment or two. I usually ends up tapping two or three times in my impatience
4. This one is not specific to the app, but the service. It's not clear how much of my data is stored with zero-access encryption. It seems that the contents of emails are, but that senders/recipients and subject lines aren't. When I use the search feature in the web app, my search query is sent to the API and it returns a list of messages with subjects or senders that match my query. If the API can search that data, then it must not be zero-access encrypted. This was a bit surprising to me. I'd like to see these details spelled out more explicitly.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for an extended review!
1. We are working on a threaded mode, it is on a roadmap.
2-3. This issue can happen due to poor network connection (push notification is small and is delivered fast, but it takes time to download the message)
4. Indeed, we need some parameters of the message unencrypted in order to deliver messages. Sender, receiver addresses and the subject are among them. Please refer to our Knowledge Base for more details: https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/what-is-encrypted/
- Proton Technologies AG
- 196.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Proton Technologies AG
- In-App Purchases
- ProtonMail Plus (1 year) $59.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.