“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
*** This is the last version to support iOS 9.***
- Composer didn't work when sharing if PIN protection is active
- Some newsletters layout rendering issues
- Dialing international numbers was missing the `+` call sign
- The keyboard didn't dismiss in the composer
- Missing archive option in the 'Sent' folder when labeling messages
- Some photos were automatically rotated when they are pasted in the composer
- PDF attachment was still visible through the TouchID screen
- Obfuscated code was shown instead of the correct message contents when saving a draft
- Messages were not opening when you tap the banner notification
- 'Print' and 'View Headers' option didn't work properly
- Added a warning when permanently deleting a message
- Don't cancel multiple message selection unless action is applied to the messages
- Increased the display name and the address to two lines in composer contact group selection
- Removed the bottom separator line in composer on iOS 10
- Increased the minimal height of the composer editor.
- Chinese and Catalan translation strings
- General performance and stability improvements
Add new languages:
Ratings and Reviews
Great service, lacking a few features to make it a home run
ProtonMail is an excellent service for both the privacy conscious and the masses. The reason so many email providers are free is because it the provider is in a privileged position to scan all of your emails. ProtonMail sets itself apart from the rest, and doesn’t read your email, or store it in a format that they can access.
I would highly recommend a paid plan, even if you don’t need any paid features. Pay for your usage with your money, not your data.
However, the absence of one feature makes the ProtonMail experience painful (-1 star): No notification dismissal syncing. If I read an email on my iPad, it will still show the notification on my phone until I open the app. Almost every other mail/chat app has notification dismissal syncing, but when I asked ProtonMail about implementing this feature, they said it was not possible. If they found a way to add this feature (and it’s possible considering other services can do it), then this service would be a true 5 stars.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thank you for your feedback. We plan to improve our notification synchronization in the near future. We would appreciate if you consider updating your review once this feature is released.
Face ID not working to login to App
It seems that Face ID is not working to login to the App. I’ve tried multiple times by first logging in manually and then enabling Face ID.
But every time I logout and then try to log back in, Face ID is not initiated. I login manually again and see that Face ID is disabled. I enable it again, but it goes back to being disabled every time I close the App.
Is the Face ID function only for access when the App is logged in, or is it designed to allow fore using Face ID to login when initially opening the app?
Reply to developer: I saw your reply and do not agree because after three days of trying, the App will now allow me to login with Face ID. I don’t know what changed in the App, but I just kept doing the same thing. I have now installed the ProtonMail App on my wife’s phone and Face ID is working properly too. Increased my rating from 3 to 4 stars.
Update #2: thanks for replying back to feedback so quickly! No, I did not need to choose or select any keychain or password icon. When the app is completely closed (swiping up from the bottom, on both an iphone X and XS Max, to close the ProtonMail app), then pressing the PM icon only once to open the app: FaceID now comes up immediately and after correct recognition, the PM app is unlocked and accessible. It was not like this when I first installed the app, but now it works this way.
Developer Response ,
Face ID can only be used for unlocking the app after you’re already logged in, and settings will go back to default ones once you logout.
That is done by security reasons: we do not want to keep any user-related data on device after logout. Storing credentials required for login would be totally insecure in case your device is stolen and hacked.
Update: probably, you mean FaceID auth initiated by Password AutoFill feature, that happens when you tap ‘🔑 Passwords’ button above the keyboard? That is system level feature and not part of our app. In order to make it work, you’ll need to save login and password in iCloud Keychain - Apple’s password manager - in device settings:
Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Website & App Passwords
Excellent email service, private and secure
If you value security and privacy use ProtonMail. Even the free accounts are private and secure. They do not sell your information or scan your emails for keywords to send ads. I have both a free account and a paid account and they both work great. I have been using protonmail for a few years now and I love it. The app features are fine. It has all the necessary features plus security and privacy. Some people are too picky they want an app that covers everything and I don’t think there is an e-mail app that has every feature and still keep you info private and secure. I’ve read some of the reviews, and I have not had any issue with crashes or glitches. Some reviews don’t sound like they are about this app. Not sure what some people are doing.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your support.
- Proton Technologies AG
- 161.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Proton Technologies AG
- In-App Purchases
- ProtonMail Plus (1 year) $59.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.