RCM Music Theory 2 builds upon theory knowledge learned in previous levels to teach kids over 30 new concepts in an entertaining and interactive way!
Can music theory be as much fun as a carnival? Absolutely!
Fun animation, lively narration, and engaging games keep kids entertained and focused as they expand their music theory knowledge. And just like their other favorite game apps, reaching new levels keeps kids encouraged and motivated. Best of all, this app is part of The Royal Conservatory’s renowned system of music study specifically designed to ensure young learners enjoy the full benefits of music making.
The study of music theory:
• boosts aural awareness
• develops analytical thinking
• encourages creativity
With these invaluable skills, young musicians will gain a deeper understanding of the music they hear and play! Developing expertise in the eight areas of study available for purchase in this app build a foundation for well-rounded musical training and lifelong music making.
Download this app for free to learn more about The Royal Conservatory and the over 30 learning objectives which support student success at Level 2 of The RCM Certificate Program.
**Key Features of RCM Music Theory 2**
- 14 lessons bring Level 2 music theory basics to life
- 8 interactive musical games engage students
- 99 individual lesson pages specifically designed for kids
- 40+ minutes of animation and narration encourage active learning
- 30+ learning objectives cover 8 areas of study including pitch, rhythm, scales, chords, music history, melody and composition, intervals, and musical terms and signs
- An introduction to the life and music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- See and hear activities encourage active learning
- Theory concepts aligned with RCM Level 2 Theory
**Theory concepts covered in the 8 units available for purchase**
1. Pitch and Notation
• notes up to and including three ledger lines above and below the treble staff and bass staff • stems and beams • repeat signs
2. Rhythm and Meter
• dotted quarter note • strong, weak, and medium beats
• application of time signatures (2/4, ¾, 4/4 ), bar lines, notes, and rests
• scale degree numbers • C, G, and F major scales (using key signatures and/or accidentals) • A, E, and D minor scales, natural and harmonic forms (using key signatures and/or accidentals)
• relative major/minor key relationships • scale degree names: tonic, subdominant, dominant, and leading tone
• harmonic and melodic intervals • interval sizes up to and including an octave (numerical size only)
• Tonic triads of C, G, F major and A, E, D minor keys in root position
• (solid/ blocked or broken form) • Functional chord symbols (I, i) Root/quality chord symbols (for example, C, Am)
6. Music History
• The life and music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, with emphasis on his childhood (Twelve Variations on “Ah, vous dirai-je, maman” (“Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”), Horn Concerto in E flat major)
7. Musical Terms and Signs
• allegretto, D.C. al Fine, da capo. D.C., fine, fortissimo, molto, pianissimo, poco, presto , rallentando, rall., pedal markings, repeat sign, tenuto, review of terms and signs from RCM Prep and Level 1 Theory
8. Melody and Composition
• Composition of a short melody in a major key with a given rhythm, using steps and skips, ending on the tonic or mediant
Ratings and Reviews
Royal conservatory level 2
Good points: Great graphics; useful, pedagogical content.
Bad points: No instructions given or available. And it is certainly not intuitive. Frustrating and time consuming to figure out.
I would not recommend this app.
Esmeralda, Piano teacher for 35 years
- Royal Conservatory of Music
- 114.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Royal Conservatory of Music
- In-App Purchases
- All-Access Pass $8.99
- Rhythm and Meter $1.99
- Pitch and Notation $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.