Saferoom Mac is a free client application that provides on-top of Evernote a zero-knowledge encryption features, and it requires only Evernote app installed and a notebook to work with. Using Saferoom allows you to create a new note type - encrypted note. This note is protected by AES-256 bit encryption algorithm which is used in military type of security.
Your secure and encrypted notes are stored inside Evernote, you can sync them between all your devices, but to decrypt your secure private data you will need to use Saferoom.
Right now Saferoom is available on iOS, Android, Mac and Windows platforms.
Besides encrypting your text Saferoom also can encrypted any attached files including PDF, images, video, audio and etc. The note is encrypted completely including all it's attachments giving you a possibility of secure notetaking.
However, note title, note tags are not encrypted which allows you to search for secure notes, organize them based on tags, notebooks and titles while having their content and attachments protected.
It is required to have an Evernote app installed to work with Saferoom.
An encrypted note will be treated as a normal note, you can easily sync between different devices, and whenever you want to see the content of the encrypted note you will need to use Saferoom.
Saferoom is based on zero-knowledge encryption principle - your encryption key (password in this case) is stored only locally, thus there is no password recovery available, and there are no accounts or cloud infrastructure used by Saferoom.
Additional "one-time password" feature allows a user to create and then share encrypted notes using one-time password and avoiding to reveal master password.
Also using one-time password feature you can share encrypted notes without revealing your master password. One-time passwords are not stored anywhere and allow you to send encrypted note to any other user.
- Saferoom works on-top of Evernote, so your encrypted notes can be easily synchronised between other device you own;
- you can encrypt/decrypt full notes including any attachments;
- Saferoom is pure client application - no accounts needed;
- information is encrypted using AES-256 bit military grade encryption;
- master password that is used as an encryption key never leaves your local device (it means that the password cannot be restored).
- simplified the UI
- fixed error messages
- Added a setup notebooks screen
- Updated Preference Window with notebooks to reset to defaults and also create manually the notebooks.
- added a flag to ask the password confirmation before any operation to protect from unauthorised use.
Ratings and Reviews
Appears to work
This app works like a hack - you have to manually copy notes to a separate notebook, then manage where it ends up. To decrypt, you reverse steps. Images are encrypted but are translated to base64 text that makes them use up 10-15% more space. I don’t think an average user would want to deal with the trouble.
Also, how reliable is their encrypt/decrypt? I would hate to lose important notes later when the app had a bug.
When I try to encrypt notes the program crashes. Like the concept but currently the program is useless
No crashes since 1.7
Right still have some issues, but no crashes since v1.6. Good and fast support, needs updates for UI. Bring it closer to mobile experience.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- SECURITY & COMMUNICATIONS SOFTWARE INC
- 8 MB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016. Security & Communications Software, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.