"Every amateur astronomer yearns for clear, dark skies, and this exhaustive app helps you find them."
- Sky At Night Magazine 2017
"Several astronomy-oriented weather apps are available, but Scope Nights has become my favorite… it does a fine job of summarizing the data in a clear and understandable fashion."
- Sky & Telescope Magazine 2015
"Conventional weather forecasts meet the needs of Earthly dwellers; news of cloud cover when sensible folk are asleep is hardly required. Now via this wonderful App… local forecasts for nocturnal weather… are now available."
- Astronomy Now Magazine 2012
If you’re a stargazer, astronomer or astrophotographer, analysing conventional weather forecasts for favourable night time conditions can be very time consuming, you just want to know when to plan your stargazing trip or set up your telescope. Scope Nights analyses night time weather forecast data for you and shows exactly when and where to go for the darkest and clearest skies, as well as offering customisable stargazing ratings to suit your telescope and observing habits, stargazing notifications, and a detailed light pollution map showing nearby dark sky sites and observatories. Finding clear dark skies and discovering the night sky has never been easier!
PLAN YOUR OBSERVING WITH CUSTOM STARGAZING RATINGS
• View at a glance which nights will be good for astronomy using smart weather analysis with clear stargazing ratings and animated weather icons to quickly see if it’s worth preparing your telescope or planning a stargazing trip
• Create custom stargazing ratings using observing thresholds for moon phase, wind, humidity and temperature. Choose night, evening or morning coverage to suit when you observe, the type of telescope, and the type of observing you plan to do.
• View at a glance which of your favourite Scope Sites will have the most suitable conditions
FIND DARK SKY SITES & OBSERVATORIES
• Find nearby dark sky sites with the clearest skies using a detailed light pollution map derived from the latest NASA satellite data
• Searchable lists and dark sky map showing certified dark sky places, major astronomical observatories and robotic telescopes
DETAILED ASTRONOMY FORECASTS
• Long range astronomy forecasts for any location worldwide, compare up to 10 locations up to 10 nights ahead
• Local 3-hourly forecasts for UK & USA updated hourly using the best forecast data available direct from the UK Met Office and the US NOAA National Weather Service
CUSTOM STARGAZING NOTIFICATIONS
• Receive accurate notifications of good or fair stargazing ratings based on your custom thresholds, well before sunset so you can prepare for your observing session
• App badge showing the number of sites with good observing conditions for tonight
SHARE STARGAZING FORECASTS
• Share astronomy weather reports with fellow astronomers via email, social media or print them out for your observatory
DETAILED CUSTOM ASTRONOMY FORECASTS
• Night time specific astronomy forecasts from sunset to sunrise
• Forecast coverage to suit when you observe: All Night, Evening or Morning
• Detailed colour coded forecasts:
- Moon phase percentage & altitude
- Cloud cover
- Precipitation probability
- Relative humidity
- Minimum temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Wind direction
- Wind speed & gusts in Mph, Knots, Kph or Mps
• Moonrise and moonset times
• Sunrise & sunset times
• Wind speed gust sensitivity switch for those with large telescopes or in exposed locations
• Requires a device with iOS 9.3 or later
• Requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
• Requires Location Services be enabled to automatically find local astronomy forecast
• Requires Background Services be enabled to get stargazing notifications
Scope Nights 2.5.1 is a maintenance release containing minor improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Wish I’d have found this sooner
I used to use ClearOutside, this is the same idea but actually works. Even for random locations in tiny towns near the desert I get so many location results. ClearOutside couldn’t even find major cities or counties I put in. Icons are great, really easy to understand, and hourly forecast on specific nights make it really easy to find key times to go out. I pair this with PhotoPills to plan my shots of the Milky Way and other nightscape scenes.
Scope nights app
Used this app now for two years and is very accurate! Once it said poor and the sky was clear so I set up my scope and by the time of sunset I was completely clouded in! When it says good it’s clear and when it says poor it’s cloudy! Can’t ask better than that. I highly recommend it.
It works but you don’t really getting a lot of value
When it was first installed, I got lots of errors about not being able to save location information. Sent a tech support request and got nothing back. The error is now gone but it doesn’t always save my location but I guess my biggest grip is you don’t really get anything that isn’t already free with other apps. It has potential, but hey seriously need to add more features for the price they charge. I guess that is why there is not a trial version.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.