- Master EVERY single popular Cantonese word
- Build the ultimate vocabulary, so you'll be able to understand everything in Hong Kong or Southern China
- Learn Cantonese by sound grouping, to optimise your brain's recall skills
- Cantonese words divided into hanzi school grade reading level, so you can match with your hanzi study as you go.
- Native speaker voices, so you'll sound like a local - like a Hong Kong guy or Hong Kong girl
- Example Cantonese phrases to help understand the native Cantonese meaning
- Jyutping readings romanisations, to help reading Chinese hanzi
Scribe Cantonese is only for you if you want to learn Cantonese to perfection.
If you want to learn a HUGE vocabulary of basic Cantonese words.
Complete with native speaker's pronunciation and shortcut methods for remembering similar-sounding words as well as the tones for each word.
Scribe Cantonese has been intentionally designed to teach mastery of Chinese Cantonese vocabulary - you learn MANY common Hong Kong Cantonese words. Using a unique study method, words are remembered with related-sounding words, so that in real-life situations you are able to contextually select the correct word, even if you missed the tone. Study Cantonese this way, and your mind's ability to select the correct word in context increases 10 fold. Just think about it: for every similar sound, you will know the 2 or 3 possible popular words it could be.
Scribe Cantonese quietly saturates your mind with all the correct linkages to learn Cantonese to a better-than-native level. This is the fastest known method to the learn Cantonese language, by focusing on learning through Cantonese games.
Scribe Cantonese also includes numerous games using the same study deck, so no matter what game you feel like playing, your study picks up where you left off. You can study Cantonese YOUR way. And your dreams of China, Hong Kong and Macau can come closer.
- 1800 of the most common Cantonese words.
- Full native audio spoken for every single word. Speak Cantonese within weeks, instead of years, with a daily commitment to study Cantonese words.
- 6 Cantonese games: Cantonese flashcards, Cantonese multiple choice, Cantonese tiles, listening flashcards, listening multiple choice, matchup.
- Tone markers + tone colors.
- Spaced-Repetition System that.. is simply incredible. When you get down into the deeper levels with thousands of words to remember, you'll be amazed at how accurately the right word comes along.
- Study Cantonese completely offline - no internet bandwidth used. Learn and study Cantonese anywhere - on the train, bus, on the way to work, sitting waiting, in coffee shops, on bed before dreaming Cantonese in your sleep.
- Your choice of yale or jyutping romanisation, along with the native hanzi reading (for help with remembering the hanzi, you can use our hanzi app: Scribe Origins).
- Ruby text places the reading above the hanzi character, just like in manga and anime readings.
- Synchronise your progress across devices, if you want to learn Cantonese on your iPhone and iPad.
- Example usage sentences and common Cantonese phrases for the most popular Cantonese words.
- Most users who have gone through the entire first level unequivocally say that Scribe Cantonese is currently the fastest way to learn Cantonese language, both listening and reading skills.
Scribe Cantonese is part of the Scribe Origins series of learning apps.
Minor little fixes. Thank you to those of you who sent in feedback! Much much appreciated.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Absolutely amazing app
I have been studying cantonese for over 20 years. I have never really been able to master the writing part of learning traditional Chinese characters until this app. This app is truly incredibly & amazing. Not only does it help you learn the characters… But it also shows you what each part of the character means. For example if you touch on the character at the very bottom of the page, it will take you to another page and blow up the character into its different components. Totally amazing. It makes it much easier to memorize, learn, and understand the character if you know what you’re actually writing on each part of the character. For example the word to say 講 (gong) is comprised of 言 (speech), 井 (thirty), 冂 (hood), and 土 (soil). Now when I write this character, I actually KNOW what I’m writing and not a bunch of strange symbols.
Best app for vocabulary.
I've been struggling with Cantonese. "Forget about reading and writing" people say, "just be great at speaking".
That might work for Spanish, Russian etc. but Cantonese has TOO MANY WORDS THAT SOUND THE SAME to my nooby ears. I needed to see the word. I found apps that showed me the script (not easy to find them for Canto learners) Next, I'm like, "huh? what's these squiggles??!"
These 'squiggles' contain a wealth of cultural information, I found, using this app. You can break the characters down into their smaller parts to see the concepts that went into building them. "Wrong" for instance. Something gold left in the reeds. To "cull" - hand, claw, tree - fruit picking, I guess.
Once something is understood it is remembered, and this app has a multitude of ways to get you to remember. Are you a visual, aural or kinesthetic thinker? Doesn't matter, the app has it covered. Then there is the timed repetition where, if you take off the word cap in the settings, a word will be reshown to you just as you are about to forget it. That is still considered cutting edge.
The best thing of all though is the way words easily confused due to very similar sounds are presented together so you can sort out which is which once and for all. I think I've tried every app in the store and I haven't seen that before. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You just saved me years of struggle.
As a vocab building app, this is as good as it gets. If I were to make some suggestions it would be to having the primitives closer than two clicks away from the word being tested, make the tone colors customizable, and have the option for a female voice throughout.
One of a kind!
This is definitely the most outstanding vocubulary app I have downloaded. If you want to become better in Cantonese vocabulary, download this app now
The developer, Guiix Pty Ltd, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.