Solve challenging puzzles on a beautiful Japanese lacquer box and engage with stories based in early Japan: In the beginning, so the Kojiki tells, sea was sky and sky was sea.
Journey towards calmness while rotating a lacquer box, puzzle by puzzle, word by word, further in time.
In SHI•RO you reconcile past and present with empress Gemmei, travel through dark forests to invite spirits to the shrine of old Yoshida, and climb Mount Inari with a fox.
PLAY AN ENGAGING STORY
SHI•RO tells the story of an ancient empress, a lost love and a blossoming friendship. Based on the first Japanese writing, the Kojiki, you engage with an emerging world.
SOLVE CHALLENGING PUZZLES
Over 60 handmade puzzles challenge you along the journey of empress Gemmei. Think out of the box while playing on a lacquer box! Will you help the empress to separate the sea from the sky?
ENJOY A BEAUTIFUL DESIGN
SHI•RO celebrates the beauty of Japanese lacquerware by transforming your device into a lacquer box. Gold and silver shimmer in your hands while you unriddle complex geometries and find stories of depth beyond the surface.
LISTEN TO THE SOUND OF JAPAN
By solving puzzles, you hear words of Japanese language, or as a native speaker of Japanese, learn words in English. Japanese Taiko drums will guide your way.
ENTER THE SHI•RO UNIVERSE
By purchasing SHI•RO, you get access to the complete first part, KURO. But more is in the making! Once we release the second part MIDORI and the third part AKA, you will be able to purchase them in-game and continue your journey.
The Open Sky awaits you with 15 challenging new puzzles, unlocking Japanese instruments and sounds. Jam away!
Ratings and Reviews
Beautiful and unique
Beautiful art, to say the least. I am always intrigued by Japanese-themed games and I think that this game surpasses anything that I’ve come across in the app store in that area. I barely started playing, but I look forward to delve deeper into the story. As far as gameplay, I would very much like to have a landscape-view option to play the game on an iPad. Otherwise, this looks like a gem of a game!
A lot of artistic expression and attention to detail
This game really tries hard:
(1) beautiful graphics... serious art drawings with shimmering gold that responds to movement
(2) beautiful sounds... they sure sound like sampled percussion instruments
(3) back story... Japanese lore
(4) innovative play... puzzles are creative with accompanying sounds
(5) instructive... Japanese word spoken at each level
The user interface is very clever but confused me at first because I thought I had to navigate to a state each time I played but the game remembers where you are as you scroll down to the next constellation. What is a little confusing is that you can flip through the constellations to the middle of the game (I think):
(1) I’d suggest that it be clearer that you are continuing where you left off when you restart the game.
(2) You also should be able to go back one move and not have to start over.
(3) Lastly, how do you reset the game and start over?
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the thorough review, it's appreciated!
(1) We will try and make it clearer where you currently are puzzle and progress-wise. In general, the game will always try and put you exactly where you left off.
(2) Sometimes it helps to start fresh and try a completely different approach on the puzzle. The ability to go back a step could transform it into a trial and error experience.
(3) You can always revisit all story bits and puzzles at a later point by tapping on the stars in the constellations. At the moment the only way to reset the game is to delete it from your device and then download it again from the App Store. We will discuss putting in a feature to reset the save data.
Thanks for playing and have a nice day!
Best Puzzle Game on iOS
This game is dope. It’s perfect to pick up and play on the go and has an excellent difficulty curve. The later levels really make you think and feel good after finally figuring them out! The artwork is absolutely gorgeous and the story is really interesting as well. Highly recommend to anyone
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- the brothers grimm UG (haftungsbeschrankt)
- 136.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2018 Topicbird, Jasper Meiners und Isabel Paehr
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.