SkyORB 2021 Astronomy takes you on a tour of the solar system or the galaxy.
This astronomy program charts the stars, planets, and other celestial objects such as comets and asteroids and lets you navigate through space.
SkyORB features a 3D interface, a search engine, a large catalog of stars (Hyparcos), deep objects (NGC/IC 2000) planets, current satellite (including current launch missions) (MPC) and let you choose see the actual sky from any point on Earth.
• Allows you to fine tune your observation location from the database of by entering longitude and latitude or automatically with Location Services,
• Calendar of astronomy events, and astronomy news.
• Information like sunset and sunrise are computed as well as moonrise and moonset and full / new moon dates and automatically generated calendar of upcoming astronomy events.
• 3D planetarium with planets and satellites and 3 different views with 3D objects with different level of details using photo realistic textures and visuals.
• 3D animation of the solar system in real-time or fast forward, with actual facts for each planets.
• 3D sky map with real-time precession with planets, stars, constellations, deep objects, comets and satellites,
• Comets and satellites trajectories which can be updated among 6 differents databases including IAU Minor Planet Center.
• Displays the world map sun clock with rise and set.
• Multi-touch trackpad (on some devices) with pinching-to-zoom gesture is supported for zoom-in and out.
• Universal search engine.
• Weather retrieval base from location.
• macOS features like push notification with important astronomy news, today widget : Get push notifications from astronomy news found in the press, and personnalized astronomy events and observation available near you.
• Personal location can be used for improving rendering of the start chart.
Important information regarding SkyORB
This app officially supported on the following Macs. To check your Mac model and when it was released, select About This Mac from the Apple menu on your menu bar.
◦ MacBook Pro (mid 2012 and newer)
◦ MacBook Air (mid 2012 and newer)
◦ MacBook (early 2015 and later)
◦ iMac (2014 or newer)
◦ iMac Pro (2017 or newer)
◦ Mac Pro (late 2013 or newer, or mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with Metal capable GPU)
◦ Mac Mini (late 2012 or newer)
Note that All 21.5" iMacs models with an Nvidia 750M, 755M graphics card, although 'metal' capable are not supported.
- Fix and improved french texts.
- Fix light speed time calculation
- Show GPU memory usage and improve support for system with less than 1GB of VRAM.
- Other bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I really, really tried
I read the negative reviews and thought "I'm better than those lame-assed dudes... I can figure out the UI... how bad can it be?"
Pretty bad, unfortunately. Spent an hour tweaking, fumbling, bumbling, mumbling, and am now giving up. Too bad. It looks like a lot of work went into this, but not enough to make it usable for mere mortals.
Lots of pretty screens can be generated, but to find real information in anything like a useful form is way too daunting if at all possible. The UI is simply inscrutible, and with no help files, tutorial, ANYTHING helpful, I just don't think 98% of Mac users will be able to get their $3 worth.
I've used hundreds if not thousands of apps for the Mac since 1984, been working with computers since main frames in the early '60s, written software for dozens of computers and OSes, including Mac.
Save your $3.
Does Not Work Correctly
I have Sky Orb on my iPhone and it works great. Got it for my Mac Pro and the readings are wrong. If you put in your longitude and latitude, it will keep showing you what is stored in the app. For example Where I live, Mars should have been above the horizon which was verified with the iphone version and by looking up at the sky, but the app kept showing it below the horizon no matter how many times I tried to change the concordances. If they could get this sorted out, this would be an awesome application.
I thought this would be an easy program to use, can't get instructions , info of any kind . I had Stellarium , thought this would be better but its a not . Possibly if there were instructions - - I'll stay with Stellarium !
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Stephane Denis
- 101.6 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2002-2021 realtech VR. All Rights Reserved. realtech VR, the realtech VR logo and SkyORB are trademarks of realtech VR in the US and/or other countries
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.