SkyORB is a fast and lightweight astronomy app including a 3D star map, 3D planetarium, ephemeris with notifications, search engine, news, sun clock, point at the sky, weather, and more. Tap “…More” to learn why you should download this App today!
SkyORB features many functions as a 3D real-time representation of the planets position around the sun, the ability to hold your device and point toward a visible star and planet and reveal the name by tracking the GPS position, compass orientation, the elevation from the gyroscope or with ARKi.
SkyORB is free to download and you can upgrade to the premium version directly from the application to enjoy even more features, as notifications and on-the-cloud backup.
What you will get with SkyORB (Lite version):
• Fast (multi-core optimized) and lightweight (<100MB), full featured astronomy app.
• a 3D real-time planetarium with photo-realistic rendering,
• a Zoom all the way in to the solar system, or zoom all the way out to the rest of the Milky Way in 3D.
• a 3D real-time sky rendering, with tracking from compass and gyroscope, Augmented reality with ARKit support.
• Comets and satellites positions, with update from the Web for latest entries, including near earth asteroids.
• Weather forecast from current location,
• Personalized ephemeris including next 60 days astronomy events, including peak day of meteors showers, date of planets elongation and opposition.
• Display day/night terminator on a world map,
• Powerful universal search engine: type few letter and find a matching nebula, constellation, place, planets, space probes (Pioneer and Voyager) and more.
• Moon phases with dates, including rise and set times,
• Ability to simulate the sky from any place in the world and even from other planet like Mars
• Be alerted when a phenomenon (planet at its brightest, full/new moon, eclipse) is occurring with local notifications. Also receive enhanced push notifications of astronomy news released in the press.
Upgrade to SkyORB Premium (one-time purchase or 12-month membership) and unlock access to a host of additional features that will extend and improve your use of SkyORB as:
• Ad-free version
• Full screen in planetarium view, including more view unlocked
• Display more information on moon phases, ephemeris.
• More views unlocked, including ability to hide user interface in planetarium and local view modes,
• More complete search engine,
• Easily recover your premium upgrade to all your devices connected to your account, thanks to the iOS cloud storage.
• And many more features unlocked !
• Apple Watch (watchOS 5) with vocal search engine, digital crown, equation of time complication, and stand alone from the phone.
PLEASE NOTE that your 12-months Premium Membership will automatically renew for the same duration and price as the one originally chosen.
In this update
- Fixed time shift in local and space thanks to user reports.
- New app preview.
- Other bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Poor sky-viewing app.
There are so many areas for improvement with this app it is not possible to list them all, and I do not suggest you use it nor upgrade to their premium product; I have not upgraded and have no plans to. I suggest you try Pocket Universe instead.
For starters, the interface is clunky and unwieldly. Function icons are not clearly labeled, and occupy valuable display space on my phone. I should be able to hide these icons to make full use of my phone's display or they should auto-hide themselves in some off-screen fashion. To continue, pop-up information does not clear itself and gets in the way of the skyview display. The app continued to display data about Mars when I had navigated away from that planet's view in the "orbital" view. The app also does not remove information that is no longer relevant to the star/planet/satellite object that I am no longer looking at through the app. There is no obvious control that actually removes these info pop-ups; the control only resizes the pop-ups but does not remove them. Additionally, the stars all have "lens-flare" or "starburst" effects that won't turn off. A control needs to be plainly and obviously named that can disable this effect. Finally, the "night vision" mode should be just that: everything should be low-HSV color or red. When this option is turned on, the app does not use an appropriate color scheme.
The list goes on, but these are some of the most obvious items that can be improved upon.
Very Useful, But...
This app has beautiful 3D graphics and I love the accelerometer support on the sky view. I've been using this app for quite some time and just recently upgraded to the Premium version. The calendar and the notifications let me know when something cool is worth watching and I love how I can have astronomy software in my pocket. I have recently noticed a problem, though. When I use the search feature, tap the search bar, and scroll past the "Stars" section and into the "Satellite" section, the app would hang for about a half second and then crash. In case you are wondering, the crash happened on iOS 6.1.4 on an iPhone 5 16GB. For me, this is just a minor nuisance as I generally use this app for planets and stars, but I would like to see this fixed to make this app even better. Otherwise, this is a great app and I appreciate the work put into it so far.
Not bad but needs work.
Not a bad app. The sky charts are excellent but rotating the iPad confuses it. Works best if you hold the iPad in Portrait with the home button at the bottom. Rotate the iPad to the left or right into landscape mode and the sky chart's view rotates 90 degrees. Turn the iPad upside down with the home button a the top and your sky chart is now off by 180 degrees. Does not make good use of the accelerometer so when you tilt the iPad up to try to match the screen to the sky the app will think you have rotated the iPad. Hitting the location button doesn't take into account of the iPad's orientation.
As others have pointed out the in App menus are not the most intuitive.
This app has a lot of potential, and stays on my iPad but it really needs some work. Take a look at the free version of GoSkyWatch instead.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Stephane Denis
- 172.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2002, 2020 realtech VR. All Rights Reserved. realtech VR, the realtech VR logo and SkyORB are trademarks of realtech VR in the US and/or other countries.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Version $2.99
- 1-year Premium Subscription $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.