Speech Assistant AAC is a text-to-speech app designed for people who are speech impaired, for example due to Aphasia, MND/ALS, Autism, Stroke, Cerebral Palsy or other speech problems.
With the app you can create categories and phrases, which are placed on buttons. With these buttons you can create messages that can be shown or spoken (text-to-speech). It is also possible to type any text using the keyboard.
• Easy to use and completely customizable to your needs and preferences.
• Categories to organize your phrases.
• History for quick access to previously typed phrases.
• Option to select photos from your Photo Library or Symbols on the buttons.
• Option to record speech or select one of the many iOS text-to-speech voices.
• Full screen button to show your message with a large font.
• Auto-Search feature that places the found phrases on the on-screen keyboard.
• Designed for iPhone/iPad and both support portrait and landscape layout.
• Backup to iCloud, Mail or AirDrop.
• The app can also be used while making Phone and FaceTime calls (with iOS 13).
• So you don't need a second device anymore for the speech output.
• The speech output will be audible for the other person on the phone (not on your device).
Categories and phrases
• Add, change or delete your own categories and phrases.
• You can create an unlimited number of categories to organize your phrases for quick access.
• Create users with their own categories, phrases and settings for different languages, persons or situations.
• Long press (optional setting) to easily edit the phrase and category buttons.
• In the settings you can quickly and easily edit multiple phrases in one go.
• Option to automatically save the phrases in the history category.
• With Backup to iCloud or AirDrop you can transfer your categories and phrases to another iPhone/iPad.
• The size of the buttons, the textbox and the text can be adjusted.
• The app has various color schemes and you can also create a personal color scheme.
• Change the order of the buttons in the settings with drag and drop.
• Change the colors of the icons on the buttons.
• Show your message full screen with a very large font.
• Useful for communicating in a noisy environment.
• Button to rotate the text to show your message to the person opposite of you.
• Pronunciation corrections can be defined in the settings.
• The rate and pitch of the speech can be adjusted.
• Option to speak each Word or Character directly while typing.
• Optional highlighting of the spoken words.
• Pause and resume speaking by tapping the speak button (optional setting).
• Option to record speech on to a button and to import voice recordings into the app.
• Button to share your message to mail, text and social media.
• Connect a bluetooth keyboard and create shortcuts for the functions Speak, Clear, Show and Attention Sound.
• Option for preventing double tapping by disabling the button (for a short time) after touching.
• Abbreviations expansion to reduce keystrokes.
• Attention sound button on Main and Full screen.
• Option to select symbols from the set of 3400 Mulberry Symbols (mulberrysymbols.org) to place on the buttons.
About the app
• This app is developed by ASoft.
• The app does not collect any data, so all your conversations stay private.
• One-time payment, there is no subscription fee.
• The app has won an innovation award: The Vodafone Mobiles For Good Challenge in the category Smart Accessibility.
• The app does not require an internet connection.
• For feedback or questions, please contact: email@example.com.
• On www.asoft.nl you can find more information such as a user manual and demo movies.
Languages and Voices
• The app uses the built-in iOS text-to-speech voices.
• There are 90 voices for 27 languages available. There are for instance 9 English US, 6 English UK and 4 Australian voices available.
You can now select symbols from the set of 3400 Mulberry Symbols to place on the buttons with phrases.
Ratings and Reviews
Been using for 3 months now
I have vocal cord and airway spasms along with asthma and COPD. Conversation is very tedious for me when I go to medical apts. everyone wants the same thing, name, DOB, insurance number, permission to talk to my husband, etc. This app is a game changer. Not only does it really to all questions but when I use it, the chatty people no longer expect me to converse with them.
It great for robo calls as well. Using this app to answer "hello" means if it's an AI voice, they think I'm an answering machine so they hang up. And if it's a person I want to talk to, I can.
I can't praise this app enough. What a relief to be able to communicate again.
Best over all IOS text to speech app!
I have Parkinson”s and my speech is becoming more and more negatively affected as it progresses. I have been trying out many AAC apps over the last few months to help me “speak”, and so far SA is more versatile and has by far the most customizable settings of any other IOS apps I’ve tested. The only thing that would make it even better is having the additional feature that is included on a PC app I also use that gives the user the ability to draw within the app and have the written words optionally converted to text.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the very nice review! With an iPad with iOS 14 and an Apple pencil it is possible to write in the text box and the handwriting will be automatically converted into typed text. For more info, please mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Speech Assistant is so easy to use and customize. Love that there are diff voices and with the ability to change voice pitch and speech rate. It’s very intuitive and my 85-year old patient, who hates “technology,” was able to use it easily after a 5-min demo! Thank you to the developer for this clean, functional, flexible, and intuitive program...and it is extremely affordable. I’m so grateful to be able to recommend such a fine App to my patients!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ton Schalke
- 91.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Ton Schalke, ASoft
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.