With over 10,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
appPicker: "... is a game-changer, and is slowly transforming my life..."
The app implements state of the art features for voice readers:
◦ The best in class support for the web sites / news reading.
- listen to the all web pages - both articles and headlines (first ever) supported
- RSS feeds
- open articles from headline pages
- sync articles with Pocket
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ Sync playlist items across Apple devices including with the macOS app and the current position in the text.
◦ The widest selection of keyboard shortcuts to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with dozens of languages that have text-to-speech support on the device with automatic language detection from the content.
◦ import the text from the scanned PDF using OCR
◦ Export the text to the audio file
◦ The app is tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
◦ Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content even when the syncing is enabled
Reinvent your life, if you are busy cut the time you spend in front of the screen and listen to the news articles, documents and e-books while you are doing housework or even commuting and jogging (by using the audio files).
The app can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments (eyesight problems) and disabilities like dyslexia.
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .mhtml, .webarchive, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
Don't forget to check Speech Central for iOS - it has a free tier.
You may consider to buy Labsii Suite on the Mac App Store where for slightly higher price you get the license for all 4 of our apps in the Store.
- Some features are available only on the latest version of the operating system.
- The license is valid only for this operating system. Other operating systems have separate licenses.
- macOS High Sierra 13.6 contains the bug that prevents the app to create the longer audio files (it doesn't affect the reading just the option to create audio files). Other versions of macOS don't have this problem.
- DRM protected books (e.g. Kindle books) are locked to their respective vendor apps and cannot be imported into the app.
- For languages other than English the support is provided using the auto-translation tools
New titles for some elements
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best text to speech apps I've used. My favorite feature is the little bar that follows the text (helps so much with concentration). My only complaints are 1) limited options for speech rate (1.5x,2x,3x etc instead of words per minute) and 2) doesn't allow you to copy and paste from the window to take notes in another app. I also wish the playback was a bit more exact. Instead of jumping to the next paragraph I wish it would have an option to replay the last sentence, or even let you click on a point in the paragraph for it to start at, rather than having to start the whole paragraph over.
Great for reading .pdf documents quickly
I have tried a few of these programs and found this one to work the best. I am a graduate student and use this to read .pdfs at double speed to help me push through a great volume of reading more quickly. What is useful about this app, compared to simply using the Apple Accesibility Speech function, is the playback back controlls which allow me to easily pause, go back to a section, or skip ahead. Also, when encountering issues with an earlier version, I found the developer helpful and responsive in trying to work through issues (which have been corrected in the most recent version).
Developer Response ,
Thanks for updating the review.
Five stars with one more feature
Speech Central does almost everything I need it to do. The voices and voice controls are great. I use it primarily as a proofreading tool for documents created in Word and similar programs. I wish I could highlight a passage in Word, right click to a Service or hit a key combination, then have the passage read aloud in a Speech Central window. The extra steps of having to switch programs and import my text into SC seems to disrupt my workflow. Overall a very nice app, though.
Developer Response ,
This is available now in the version 7.40. Please update and then also update the review, thanks!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- LABSII DOO BEOGRAD
- 33 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- Copyright © 2014-2021 Labsii Llc. All rights reserved
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.