Create a personalized list of words to practice. Test your spelling - hear each word spoken. Get a star for each correct word. Practice just the words you have yet to master. Retest your words at anytime. Students can practice their words independently.
Originally designed to be a replacement for a student's spelling notebook which lists words to be learnt for school each week. Unlike a paper notebook, SpellingNotebook can speak each of the words to enable testing and practice without seeing the written word. SpellingNotebook contains a full searchable spelling dictionary so that words can be added directly to the student's word list, minimizing entry errors.
* This app is awesome I have a spelling test coming up and I can spell every word correctly thanks to this app!!! (US)
* Makes spelling practice fun (UK)
* So fun!!!! This is a great app for kids and adults! (US)
* Great App!!! Whole class uses it!! (Australia)
Spelling Notebook features:
* Students can practice independently
* More than 100,000 words - add new words to the built in spelling dictionary when needed
* Spelling Notebook has a built in voice that can say all words in its extensive dictionary and any new english words added
* Optionally Record your own voice for the word you want to practice. You can record just the word, or even a whole phrase to help you recognize which word to spell.
* Multiple English regions: UK, US, Canada, Australia and NZ
* Earn a star for correct words
* Keep multiple word lists
* Edit word lists: add or delete words, add or delete an entire word list, rename your list
* Import words from one wordlist into another
* Words are selected from an extensive dictionary - minimizing entry errors
* Help available in app to guide and support
* Word list Copy and Paste
* History of Word list tests and practice
* Email test results
The built-in spelling dictionary is automatically selected by region. For countries outside US, Canada, Australia and NZ, the UK spelling dictionary is selected.
Note that recording your words on iPod touch models prior to the 4th generation requires an external microphone. The record button will prompt you if Spelling Notebook detects that no microphone is available.
See our website for online help that includes more screenshots.
Follow us on Instagram: @spellingnotebook
Recommended Ages: All, Kids
Categories: Education, Productivity, Apps for Kids
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions!
* Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
We love it.
My kids really love this app. We used to have to go over the words on the way to school in the mornings with me reading them out. That wasn't so safe while driving. This makes it easy for me to record the words and hand them my phone in the mornings and we use the test setting instead of the practice setting so I can see how they've done and what we need to work on. Also could totally be used in other ways like recording vocabulary definitions and just using the word "test" on every one so it would say "test then the definition" and then the kid would type in test but say the right vocab word out loud so they can test themselves. Idk just thinking outside the box.
The import words from another list option doesn’t seem to work with the latest version. You choose the words to import but then the only option is to go back twice and then click done and they aren’t there. Also, I wish that there was a way for it to give the words in the same order they were entered and not randomized.
Mediocre spelling practice
My daughter is practicing for her school spelling bee, and overall it is an okay app, but only for elementary school spellers. I only wish there was an option where spellers could spell the word out loud, and maybe the parent could mark it as right or wrong. This app also does not give you a definition of the word, or a sentence as an example. I would only recommend for non-serious spellers, or for a simple 10-20 word test. The list my daughter is practicing with is part of the Scripps list, and it is a pain to list over 100 words in the app, as it takes a while to load audio too. Most of the time the female voice that plays the word does not pronounce the word very clearly and my daughter had to say Repeat the word, please over and over. Please look into these problems. Overall is a pretty ok game.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Ako Software Limited
- 30.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2011 Ako Software Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to Premium $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.