- Originally written about in The New York Times, featured in Apple Stores, heard about on NPR, and played by millions, SpellTower is back and better than ever! -
- - - - WORDS + STRATEGY = AWESOME
Pick your words wisely! As you work, more tiles rise from the bottom of the screen, and it'll take all of your lexicological wits, and tactical know-how to keep them down. If any of the letters make it to the top row, it's game over.
SIX AMAZING MODES
- TOWER MODE : No pressure here. Try and get the highest score possible out of 140 tiles, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
- DAILY TOWER MODE : Stack up against other players on identical towers that change daily!
- PUZZLE MODE : Every word you make adds a new row of letters! Strategic word finding at its best.
- EXTREME PUZZLE MODE : Puzzle mode with the minimum word length cranked up. Experts only!
- ZEN MODE : Puzzle mode without any length requirements.
- RUSH MODE : Rows of letters build up over time. Find words as fast as you can, but be careful you don't back yourself into a corner!
- [Bonus!] SUPER TOWER MODE : (iPad Pro only) Try and get the highest score possible out of 432 tiles, eliminating small words to set up 7- and 8-letter blockbusters!
GAME CENTER leader boards and achievements, for each mode, and highest scoring word!
- - - - WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
Best Word Game! - 148Apps' 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- Touch Arcade's Favorite Puzzle game of 2011 -
Ranked #2 in Mashable's Top 10 iPhone Word Games
"Simple, stylish and furiously addictive. Far and away the best ‘pure’ word game on iOS." 5/5 stars - Tap! Magazine
"I'm obsessed, I'm ignoring my family!" - John Moe, NPR Marketplace
"guaranteed to entertain" - IGN
"by far one of the best [word puzzle games] in recent years" - 4.5/5 Stars - Editors Choice - 148Apps
"SpellTower is an extraordinary word game that deserves a place among the best of the genre." - 4/4 - SlideToPlay
"The Boggle Tetris That We Needed” - Kotaku's Gaming App of The Day
"A must-buy for word fiends, SpellTower is an uncommonly attractive and thoughtfully designed puzzler" - 9/10 - Gold Award - Pocket Gamer
"Nervy, humbling, and strangely energizing. If you can handle the stress, SpellTower is magnificent" - EDGE Magazine
"A superb word game... for anyone in your household who loves a good word teaser, even the most technologically-challenged. Grab it and start spelling!" - JayIsGames
"It's Boggle on crack... only costs 2$, and your life." - Weekend Confirmed
"The best word game you haven't played", "A brain-picking puzzler" - Pitchfork / KillScreen Magazine
"I’m already convinced SpellTower is a significantly better game [than PopCap’s Bookworm]." - playontap.com
- fixed various bugs related to daily tower
Ratings and Reviews
Same Freeze Issue As Everyone Else, It Seems
Shortly after booting up the game (approximately when the Game Center notification vanishes), SpellTower will freeze consistently if my device is able to establish an internet connection. Strangely, this only appears to be an issue during that exact point in time: disconnecting from the internet until the Game Center banner passes, and reconnecting immediately after, does not lead to a freeze.
Because it is so easily surpassable, this bug does not make the game unplayable; however, I see how it can be a source of frustration to others, and it is a minor inconvenience to me as well. I adore the game otherwise, though.
I’m trying to stay loyal, but you’re making it hard!
I’ve been playing this game almost daily for years, but ever since the introduction of the daily tower with the latest update, this thing crashes on launch multiple times— EVERY TIME— before it works. I don’t know if adding the daily tower was biting off more than they could chew, but I’m getting ready to dump this app. I don’t want to, but this is supposed to relieve stress, not add to it! I’ll go back to 5 stars if and when they work the kinks out. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.
The word game for people who don’t like word games
I play this game in tower mode every day. Sometimes I play with a goal of clearing the board. Other times, I just want to make the longest word possible. So far, my best single word has been “juxtaposition” for 2288 points. My second best word was “quintessential” and I wish I could see the score for that one. My one suggestion for enhancement would be to see scores for the top three words (instead of just one).
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.