Steredenn: Binary Stars is an award-winning mashup of a classic shmup and a rogue-like, carved in big beautiful pixels, with insane boss battles. Fly solo, fighting off the worst scourges of space in a never-ending struggle for survival.
Steredenn: Binary Stars is the critically acclaimed roguelike-shmup for PC/Mac, Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch, awarded "Best Shoot'em Up 2015" by jeuxvideo.com. With a user rating around 90% on Steam and an average press rating of 8/10, it is now available on iOS!
Steredenn: Binary Stars is the hugely expanded version of Steredenn. Enjoy infinite replayability and unforgiving gameplay through intense boss fights, (almost) randomly generated environments, twisted space events and a massive arsenal of weapons. Enhance your ship during your flight with upgrades aplenty, and forge your own path across the universe!
- QUICK, INTENSE SESSIONS: with rock-hard boss battles that’ll keep you coming back for “just one more run”.
- INFINITE REPLAYABILITY: Endless arcade action, where levels are (practically) randomly-generated.
- 4 PLAYABLE SHIPS: each with its own special ability and playstyle.
- MIGHTY ARSENAL: 42 weapons and 30 upgrades with tons of customisation options. Driller, ultralaser, giant saw, robots, hypergun? We got you covered. Next-gen abilities, mysterious alien powers, improved weapons? Yep, there's an upgrade for that.
- SCORING: beat your friends and be the best!
- BOSS RUSH: fight a weekly selection of epic bosses and work your way up the leaderboard.
- DAILY RUN: Try to get to number one in a special daily leaderboard where all players share the same run, guns and bosses. Be ready - you only get one chance per day!
- ARENA: Unlock a boss by defeating it in the main game. Then, train against it in a 1-on-1 duel. Your guns, your laws, your fight.
- THE ULTIMATE EDITION: Loads of new content, reworked balancing, scoring, optimisation & always more polish.
It's time. Binary Stars is here. And it's the definitive edition of Steredenn!
- 4 playable ships with unique abilities (Tempest, Fortress, Fury and Specialist). Each has a unique playstyle. New ships are unlocked after you beat certain bosses.
- Boss Rush mode. Fight a weekly selection of epic bosses and work your way up the leaderboard.
- New content: 18 weapons, 5 upgrades, 2 bosses, 6 secret bosses, 7 artefacts, 42 waves, 4 events, 14 environments and 3 audio tracks.
- Cargos can drop medkits.
- Improved UI, texts, balance and scoring.
Ratings and Reviews
Binary Stars update
I had been aware of this game from Wanderbot’s YouTube/Twitch channel and got it when it first came out on iOS with version 1. Since then, I’ve been a fan of the game.
So far, I have access to the 4 ships and they really do add major gameplay changes. New power ups, new weapons and improvements on the old weapons too. Right now I have only one complaint is with the Specialist ship in later stages because I have observed performance drop with lots of bullets on the screen. It is especially bad if the device goes into night time mode and dropping bots and swapping them sometimes doesn’t take with the touch controls. Movement also is buggy only for the Specialist with two booster drones and max bots. But this is just one of the ships and doesn’t detract from the rest of the game.
Control issues blemish an otherwise good experience
I really want to like this game. The gameplay is right up my alley. However, it has drag to move controls and, unless I’m missing something, there is no way to set it so that movement matches 1:1 with the position of my finger and my ship stays where my finger is. This may not bother everyone, but it renders the game almost entirely unplayable for me. Precise movement is very important, and my brain absolutely refuses to adapt to this control scheme and allow movement to feel tight, predictable, and intuitive.
If I were basing my rating entirely on how much enjoyment I get out of the game it would be 1 star. I just can’t enjoy playing the game at all due this issue. However, that seems pretty unfair to the devs of what otherwise seems to be a great title, and I know this won’t bother everyone, so I settled on a middling 3 stars. I really hope a future update adds a 1:1 movement option, but until then, this game will sadly have to hang out in the ‘not on this iPhone’ section of my purchase history :(
Not usually a big fan of this genre, but this game is awesome. Some of the guns I avoid 99% of the time or even start a run over if I see something awful for my first gun drop. I’d say I put in 10-12 hours before getting the #10 iOS score. It gets progressively harder the farther you go, in a very balanced, good way. Fun-to-learn patterns give this high replay value. If you’re skeptical about the controls, this is also available on Steam, but I rarely had problems with the intuitive touch controls.
- Pixelnest Studio
- 422.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 Pixelnest Studio
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.