StopTheMadness is an extension for Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Brave that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
(Chrome, Edge, and Brave require enabling "Developer mode" in the Extensions window.)
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. If you need support, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or read the support site at https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in your browser:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping").
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results.
• Stops clickjacking in Gmail.
• Stops clickjacking in Facebook.
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of link URLs when clicked (but not after redirects; see Link Unshortener for that feature).
• ⌘-c to copy link URL on hover! Much easier than opening the contextual menu. Also ⌘-x to copy link title on hover!
• ⌘-delete on hover to delete any HTML element on the page! If something is in your way, just remove it.
• Stop ⌘-left-arrow from unexpectedly sending you back to the previous page in your browsing history.
• Images in front. Bring all images on the page to the front, allowing you to drag and use the contextual menu on sites such as Instagram.
• Stop video auto-play. This works even on sites where Safari's Auto-Play Preferences don't work.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters! (Feature not available in Firefox.)
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Stop scrolljacking.
• ⌘-v when hovering over a link to open the link with the app selected in the "Open Link with" popup. It's never been easier to send a link to another browser!
• Automatically open clicked links in other apps. You can specify rules in StopTheMadness such as open zoommtg links in Zoom, open https://docs.google.com links in Google Chrome, open https://bit.ly links in Link Unshortener, and even don't open https://facebook.com links at all, to keep you from accidentally opening Facebook!
• Open links with an alternative browser from Safari's contextual menu.
• Copy link title from Safari's contextual menu.
• Stop Safari from automatically submitting login forms. AutoFill login forms and then make changes such as checking "Remember Me" or take CAPTCHA tests before submitting.
• Support for site-specific CSS customization in your Safari style sheet.
StopTheMadness is a Universal Binary ready for Apple silicon and macOS Big Sur.
• Fixed "Stop video autoplay" on spiegel.de
• Small improvement to "Drag and drop" website option
Ratings and Reviews
If you look at the StopTheMadness feature list, you will see numerous, seemingly small website behaviors that StopTheMadness adjusts to be more in keeping with standard Mac behaviors. You may not notice it at first, but StopTheMadness really does bring sanity back to browsing by disabling website "features" that disrespect user expectations of how websites work. Sure, you may encounter an occasional site that won't work well with STM's defaults, but if the site is important to you, you probably can tweak a setting or just temporarily disable STM while on that site. To be fair, I can't remember the last time I needed to do that, though. Kudos to the developer for a useful, thoughtful solution to a complex set of challenges!
This app shouldn't be necessary, but it is
We shouldn't have to have an app to give us back control of our own web browsers, but give a web developer an inch and he'll take a mile. It's nice to have sanity restored and be able to do the normal things that computers have been able to do for decades. Copy and paste!
The one feature I'd love to see added is to block the "Wait, don't go!" pop-ups that happen just because the mouse moves to the title bar. So annoying! It's bad web design and eventually designers will stop doing it (I hope), but until then, that's the one feature this app could add to make it golden. The features it has right now are worth the purchase.
Look Past the Price
At first glance, $10 for a really low profile utility app seems crazy but consider this: Web Developer are purposefully acting against the best interest of users more and more everyday, you don't realize how much ground they've taken because it comes to you in tiny incremenets.
With this application, you get all of that power given back to you immediately and forever, and all you have to do is buy it once for what is for most people a relatively irrelevant amount of money.
It's one of those things that you didn't know you needed it until you got it and then you can't be without it .
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeff Johnson
- 597.5 KB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Jeffrey Johnson
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.