StopTheMadness is an extension for Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Brave that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
(Chrome, Edge, and Brave require enabling "Developer mode" in the Extensions window.)
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in your browser:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping")
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon)
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results
• Stops clickjacking in Gmail
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from links
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen
• Stops video auto-play. This works even on sites where Safari's Auto-Play Preferences don't work.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters! (Feature not available in Firefox.)
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Stops scrolljacking, restoring smooth scrolling
• Automatically open clicked links in other apps. You can specify rules in StopTheMadness such as open zoommtg links in Zoom, open https://docs.google.com links in Google Chrome, open https://bit.ly links in Link Unshortener, and even don't open https://facebook.com links at all, to keep you from accidentally opening Facebook!
• Open links with an alternative browser from Safari's contextual menu.
• Stops Safari from automatically submitting login forms. AutoFill login forms and then make changes such as checking "Remember Me" or take CAPTCHA tests before submitting.
• Support for site-specific CSS customization in your Safari style sheet.
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. If you need support, please email me at email@example.com or read the support site at https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html
• Fixed a bug where "Stop video autoplay" didn't always work on youtube.com
• Fixed a bug where "Input maxlength warning" interfered with birthdate entry on lefrecce.it
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app shouldn't be necessary, but it is
We shouldn't have to have an app to give us back control of our own web browsers, but give a web developer an inch and he'll take a mile. It's nice to have sanity restored and be able to do the normal things that computers have been able to do for decades. Copy and paste!
The one feature I'd love to see added is to block the "Wait, don't go!" pop-ups that happen just because the mouse moves to the title bar. So annoying! It's bad web design and eventually designers will stop doing it (I hope), but until then, that's the one feature this app could add to make it golden. The features it has right now are worth the purchase.
Makes the web better
This utility makes the web so much more user friendly. Mostly invisible during normal usage, stuff that is supposed to work works. I notice it most when it's missing likely after reinstalling the OS before adding StopTheMadness in.
(See reply below: I missed that this already is supported) My only one wish would be a backup and restore feature (or a settings to iCloud) so that if I do a reinstall again without migration I don't have to recreate my settings. But even without that it is easy enough to reset up.
Edit: Thanks those menu items do what I was looking for.
Developer Response ,
Thanks! With regard to your wish, check out the Export and Import commands in the main menu. They allow you to save and restore your StopTheMadness settings.
Makes the web a joy instead of a death by a thousand cuts
This plugin makes websites behave in acceptable and standardadized ways instead of being annoying in a myriad of small, but impactful ways. This plugin prevents rogue actors from being disrespectful to users and makes it so you don’t have to think about anything but the content you are seeking online. The feature set covers most signifigant annoyances and it shows a well thoughtout experience. This kind of thing shoudlnt’ be needed, but is and its a good thing that you can “set it and forget it”, as the web behaves as it should, while this plugin does its job and fades into to the background.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.