Codebook is a cross-platform password manager providing powerful and complete data encryption, a flexible data model, fast search, multi-device replication, Face ID and Touch ID authentication, and form-filling in Safari with the included Find in Codebook app extension.
Codebook is free to try for 14 days, after which an In-App Purchase of Codebook Pro is required to access the sync and editing features.
Codebook has been protecting sensitive information on mobile devices for 19 years, since the days of the Palm Pilot! It protects your passwords and personal information from unauthorized access by would-be crackers, malicious thieves, and snoopy coworkers. Stop using the same password for all your accounts! Codebook generates strong, random passwords and keeps them for you, protected by your master password and powerful encryption.
“By far the most resilient app to password cracking” — Elcomsoft, Black Hat EU 2012
* Optionally authenticate with Face ID and Touch ID
* Full support for AufoFill Passwords in iOS 12
* Fill out password login forms in Safari with the Find in Codebook app extension
* Designed to work on iPhone *and* iPad
* Sync over WiFi with Codebook for macOS and Codebook for Windows (sold separately)
* Sync over Drive or Dropbox (free Drive or Dropbox account required)
* Full text search as you type across all your records and fields
* Auto-lock timer allows you to keep Codebook temporarily unlocked while you switch apps
* Configurable field masking to hide sensitive data from view
* Erases clipboard when information is copied to be pasted in other apps after two minutes
* Supports both portrait and landscape device orientation
* Includes 200 gorgeous color icons for personalizing your records
* Generates two-step verification (TOTP) codes
* Scans QR codes with main camera
Find in Codebook:
* Fill out password login forms without leaving Safari!
* Tap the Find in Codebook item in Safari's Share Sheet
* Find in Codebook will authenticate you and look up the website in your records
* Just tap one of the results and the form will be filled in Safari
Use Stronger Passwords:
* Codebook helps you remember stronger passwords, but also to generate them
* The password generator allows you to generate random passwords from several common character sets, and adjusts for bias
* The password generator also supports Diceware passwords—both the Reinhold and Electronic Frontier Foundation variants
* Personalize categories to match your organizational style
* Customize your entries including usernames, passwords, websites, notes and create your own fields and labels
* Note records can be created in any category to store free-form text
* Store any information you want--no restrictive templates!
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. SSH, AFP, SFTP) to launch other applications directly
* Star your Favorites to get at them quickly and sort them to the top of search results
Encryption and Password Protection:
* Uses the open source, encrypted database engine SQLCipher
* 256-bit AES encryption in CBC mode protects all of your data
* 64,000 rounds of PBKDF2 SHA-1 key derivation
* Every encrypted database has its own random initialization vector
* Every page of storage has its own random initialization vector and HMAC protection
* Hardware-accelerated using CommonCrypto for speed and reduced battery consumption
More details are available at: https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/
Sync with your Desktop:
Codebook for iOS is designed to work seamlessly with Codebook for macOS and Windows, sold separately. Sync your information with Codebook on your desktop for easy editing, data backup, import and export, integration with other apps and more. Check out https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/ for more details and a product tour for all platforms we support.
If you don't use Codebook desktop you can still backup your Codebook database for free using the Drive and Dropbox sync features.
* Fixes Password warnings improperly displaying for a strong password
* Fixes edge case causing inability to login on iPad when switching to Codebook using the dock until Codebook is relaunched
* Fixes Date fields not displaying according to device locale format
* Fixes Entry updated date not displaying according to device locale format
* Fixes Date editing view to be localized
* Adds additional French translations (Thanks Gilles B.)
Please leave a rating or a review to let us know how we're doing! If you'd like to get in touch directly to provide feedback or get support, please email us at:
Ratings and Reviews
Most Secure Password Manager
If you spend some time researching online, you may reach the conclusion that this is the most secure password manager on the App Store. Other password manager apps may not be secure if someone gains access to your device. I switched from the most popular competition due to persistence of major bugs in earlier OS versions.
The Codebook interface may not seem as polished as some competitors but is still pretty intuitive and excels in versatility. The app opens quickly without animation which I count as a plus. The sync is manual and does not occur in background. This could be a drawback if you frequently switch between desktop and iOS. I use iOS 90% so has not been inconvenient for me.
There is a category system but I primarily use global search. I just made a category "all" and dumped all my entries there in case I need to do a manual scan if search fails.
It now supports optional Touch ID. While convenient, enabling Touch ID probably makes the app less secure. While I appreciate Touch ID for quick access to phone calls and contacts I would not use for a password app where you may have your most sensitive data. This would allow anyone with access to your finger while you are unconscious to gain control. Control of your brain is harder to access.
Long Time User Since Original Codebook
Love this app. I used to use the original Codebook app when it first came out on the iPod touches years ago. I loved it. I redownloaded the old Codebook and then stumbled upon their new Codebook app. Apparently the old Codebook is no longer supported by Dropbox, and with my large amount of notes on the old app I decided to migrate them into the new Codebook version. I’m super interested in purchasing the full version, especially knowing it’s not only a password keeper app but also where I can keep my private notes and ideas. However, my greatest complaint is the lack of dates on the notes. I have so many notes that migrated over, however none have any dates as to when I first wrote them. Instead, all the notes are categorized by alphabetical order. I love they kept with the old simple note style, but I strongly prefer the old original Codebook version that categorized notes by date order. Unless I was still able to see the date recorded as to when I first created that note, this app could have been perfect and I would’ve been more than happy to dish out for the paid version.
It’s such a minor thing too, you would think they’d let you categorize your notes by date created.
Developer Response ,
Hi Simply Claire,
Thanks very much for your support of Codebook and for writing this review. There's a view within Codebook called the Journal view, and it closely mimics the old Codebook (Secure Notebook) interface. Within this view you can sort your notes by created or updated date. It's located under [More] > Journal. You can edit your tab bar order (at the bottom of the screen) to have the Journal view first, so when you first launch Codebook it will be displayed right away. To do this, tap the [More] tab bar icon, tap edit in the upper right hand corner, then drag the Journal into the first position (replacing Categories). We'd be happy to assist if you have any questions when attempting these steps. Please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com
Excellent password manager and support
I have been using Codebook for a couple of years, after trying several other password managers. I have stuck with Codebook because of it’s excellent security features and flexibility. Recently, I had contacted their support team about a bug I had discovered in an update. Their support was very responsive (like within a half hour of me contacting them!), and very helpful, keeping the service request ticket open until the problem was completely resolved. Awesome app and company! Two big thumbs up!
- Zetetic LLC
- 73.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Zetetic LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial
- Codebook Pro for iOS $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.