Tembo is a super-efficient, organized file search tool. It will get to your files as quickly as possible. Tembo finds documents, folders, images, videos, and more.
Search starts with a single text entry. Tembo then groups search results by file type category. For each group, Tembo first shows the top 10 matches. Often enough, you will find the sought for file right here.
The real power of Tembo is revealed when you drill down into a group. You will find up to 10’000 search results. Filters appropriate to the current group help you quickly find what you are looking for.
Filters show options that are actually available. The File Type filter, for example, shows a Microsoft Word option only if the search returned Word files. Select that option to reduce the long list of results to just Word files. Command-click several filter values to see files of different types.
\\ What filters are available?
• Documents: File Type
• Fonts: File Type
• Images: Resolution, File Type
• Messages: Subject, From, To
• Movies: File Type, Codec
• Music: Artist, File Type
• PDF Documents: Author
• Source Code Files: File Type
\\ What is new in Tembo 2 ?
• Actions: rename, tag, or trash files from search results
• Sharing: send files by Mail, Messages, Facebook, etc.
• File Info window: an easy-to-read overview of important file properties
• View options: font size, date format, a grid of icons or previews
• Collapsible groups: hide seldomly visited groups
• Menu bar button and global keyboard shortcuts
• Speed and looks! Faster. Better looking.
\\ What can I do with search results?
• Double-click a file to open it.
• Hold the option key while double-clicking to send Tembo to the background
• Use the action button to perform tasks: rename, trash, tag, etc.
• Use the share button to share selected files with others
• Hit the space bar to get a QuickLook preview of the file
• Control-click or right-click to access the context menu
• Drag a file out of Tembo into Finder or into another application
\\ Which files can Tembo find?
Tembo uses the existing Spotlight index. Tembo can find any file indexed by Spotlight. This includes files in the Library folders but excludes most system files, hidden files, etc.
On macOS 10.15 Catalina, Apple Mail messages are not available through the Spotlight index. Tembo will no longer be able to find Mail message files.
- Updated for compatibility with macOS 11.0 Big Sur
- Fixed various minor bugs and localization issues
Ratings and Reviews
HoudahSpot 5 still better
To pretty much echo my review of the first version of Tembo the product still trails the developer's other more powerful search product called HoudahSpot 5. Each update to that program have been massive leaps where the advancements seen here happen at a much slower pace. I am glad it now supports dark mode but HoudahSpot's compact mode is also sorely needed here. I wonder how Tembo would work with a column view so that I don't need to toggle back and forth between all file types and an isolated group of files? This would make navigation a lot more convenient. It soon becomes tedious to jump between the two different modes.
Easy, Simple and Powerful
For general searches across large sets of documents and data, Tembo rocks. It is fast and gets the job done in a way that makes finding things a breeze. Houdah, by the same company, is also good but I only tend to use that if I am looking for something harder to find that is not document based.
Tembo is my go to photo search app
I have a zillion photos cataloged in folders by year and month. I add info to the sub folder name or the file name to give me a hint of what the photos are about.
In Apple Spotlight search it takes FOREVER, even after indexing. In Tembo 2 it is amazingly FAST! I love it. I can’t imagine doing photo file searches without it. Definitely handles large searches easily.
My only complaint is that I access Tembo from my Dock, and if you pin it to your dock and rename it something like “Tembo - File Search” something I do to help others when they need to access files from my Mac, the app won’t launch! Other apps renamed in the dock work fine, but I have to use Command+Space Bar to type in Tembo to get it to launch if I change the app’s filename. Any chance of a fix houdah?
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Houdah Software s.a r.l.
- 4.6 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
English, French, German
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2020 Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.