150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, an award-winning app created exclusively for the iPad. For less than one penny per day you can experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
***Member of the iTunes App Store Essentials Hall of Fame***
***iTunes App of the Week selection***
The Civil War Today leverages the iPad multi-touch interface to enable app users to feel and explore thousands of original documents, photos, maps, diary entries, quotes, and newspaper broadsheets like never before.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.
Witness the Civil War play out 150 years later, one day at a time, in this first-of-its-kind app.
** Fixed an issue that prevented users from advancing to the “The War Ends” card
** Various other bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
DREADFUL to use - but we love the idea and content !!
Don't get us wrong - there is SO much that is absolutely wonderful about this incredible app - BUT, ever since it's release and in subsequent updates, the H Channel hasn't been able to accomplish a fix for a number of major flaws. Simply put, it crashes at an alarming rate - when trying to download data rich content and memory rich material (ie: the higher resolution downloads of the newspaper scans for the daily content). Even on it's primary splash / opening page - the app crashes... This isn't a function of the users' wifi or connected interface - these are bugs in the application that have never been resolved for those of us (and family members) using this since close to launch. It's a shame, but perhaps this will be resolved in an upcoming 'legacy' version....?
So wonderful, but so frustrating to USE everyday!!! Our kids have totally turned off this application, but we'll stick with it as we're truly interested in the history and content.
Keep with it, though... Through the frustrating interface, this is a wonderful project with content, images, and sources not often found in the ubiquitous 'popular' history format!
Coming from a network that has made its recent fortunes on the backs of reality television, I wasn't exactly expecting much depth from The Civil War Today. While there are some areas that need polish, the content this app provides is breathtaking in scope.
For every day of the civil war (nearly 1500 days) this app provides you with an article describing the events of that particular day from the perspective of citizens of the times. You also get letters and diary entries recorded for each day. Every other day or so brings a secondary article that gives additional context.
There are also plenty of photos and relevant maps for each day, although these are often very slow to load.
The net result is an app that does a great job giving you a feel of how the Civil War unfolded from the perspective of those that lived through it.
Won’t even download
I had previously purchased this app and tried to re-download it to my iPad today but I was unable to. It seems to be stuck on the screen of my iPad with the word “loading“ underneath it and never makes any actual progress. I am not purchasing this for the first time, but I can only imagine how upset someone would be if they were purchasing this for the first time only to find out that it doesn’t even load. I see the latest update to this was three years ago, but hopefully we can get an update that fixes this bug, because this app was an amazing and fun resource when it functioned.
- A&E Television Networks Mobile
- 76.9 MB
Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2015: A&E Television Networks, LLC.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.