Record all your outdoor activities be it hiking, jogging, cycling, or canoeing, and observe real-time statistics on your Apple Watch.
Trails records and displays your geo coordinates along with comprehensive statistics including duration, distance, altitude, ascent/descent, speed, pace, step count (iPhone 5S and newer), and many more. Capture photos, mark waypoints and create segments along your path to complete your recording. No login required, no automatic uploads or data sharing, no ads!
Import tracks from GPX files, let Trails guide you along imported or self-recorded tracks and see your progress along the way. Topographic maps display elevation lines, ski slopes, lifts, and other relevant landscape information. Get Trails Pro to unlock imports, routing, offline topographic maps, and more.
◉ Your Logbook
• Dashboard: View and filter activity summaries across multiple tracks
• Tags: Organize and filter your tracks
• Track analysis: Compare any two graphable statistics in zoomable, interactive graphs
• Heatmaps: Spot peaks at a glance
• Editing: Split and cut segments, insert waypoints
◉ Apple Watch Support
• Start and stop recordings, see live statistics, track your active energy & heart rate
• Apple Watch Series 2: Record GPS tracks without your phone
◉ Tightly Integrated
• Health & Activity app: Save track summaries to your Health database
• Today Widget: Start/stop recordings & see live statistics
• Siri: Start, stop, and resume recordings
• Spotlight (system search): Find existing tracks, waypoints and photos, or start recording from Spotlight
• 3D Touch on the homescreen: Access your last track or start recording immediately
• Bluetooth accessories: Pair external heart rate monitors and bike computers (cycling speed & cadence)
◉ Privacy-Focussed Sharing
• Wi-Fi sharing: View your tracks on a bigger screen without uploading them to the internet
• Export: Share tracks as GPX files, upload them directly to supported services, or create a weblink via Trails.io (see https://trails.io/s/2xal4g/ for an example)
• No login required, no automatic uploads or data sharing, no ads
◉ Trails Pro Features
• GPX file import via AirDrop, email attachment, weblink, or file provider extension (e.g., iCloud Drive or Dropbox)
• Offline topographic maps in various styles (powered by the OpenStreetMap community)
• Routing: Follow a track or a set of waypoints
• Unlimited recordings: Record as many tracks as your device can store
• Alerts: Audible alerts remind you in configurable intervals and read out one or more statistics
You can try out all other features and keep up to five tracks without Trails Pro. Record more tracks by deleting older recordings.
Trails Pro is available as a 3, 6, or 12 month subscription via in-app purchase. The subscription is non-recurring: It will end automatically after 3, 6, or 12 months respectively. No automatic re-billing, no hidden fees.
If you have any question about Trails, please don't hesitate to ask us! (email@example.com)
Trails supports recording your location in the background. Please understand that continued use of location services can decrease battery life.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Abandoned by developer?
I’ve used this app many, many times for recording hikes, mountain bike rides and walks. It’s great as a logbook for outdoor activities. For whatever reason, it’s be difficult to find a good outdoor GPS recording app, and this one so far has been the best. My favorite feature is automatically stopping the recording when you get back to your start spot. Simple, but so incredibly useful.
That all being said, it’s been a VERY long time since the app has received any updates. As a paid subscriber, it’s starting to make me wonder what I’m paying for. I’m hoping they do another release in the near future incorporating new iOS 13 features, like dark mode.
If there isn’t anything new soon, I’ll have to find an alternative.
Go for it!
I love this app. It is a great addition to the Apple watch, and works very well as a trail running app for the watch. I live in the mountains and run with it almost everyday. I have been very impressed with the balance this app finds, between having a clean interface, and having a good depth of features. I love the options given in run on the watch, and then the detailed stats you can get afterwards on the phone. Having Elevation gain is a great feature and seems relatively accurate. I also love the great web display when sharing routes or tracks with others. All in all, this is a very nice app for outdoor sports, and i would recommend it for serious runners, not just people who do light jogs. Lastly, the support i have had with this app has been fantastic. I had a few questions and comments, and they were promptly answered with good feedback. If anyone is wondering if this is worth the subscription, it certainly is, go for it!
I love this app. The interface is clean and intuitive. The subscription fee is VERY reasonable. You can easily add photos, waypoints, notes, etc. during hikes, or after the fact. Trails is a great app for outdoor adventures!
With a few small improvements, I'd give it 5 stars:
1. It would be excellent if they added an iPad version.
2. I'd like to see an easy way to sync between devices.
3. For imported tracks (GPX), it would be nice if they showed up in the activity categories (e.g. "Hiking" or "Biking"), not just under "Imported Tracks".
4. Make it easier to switch map types. This is easy while recording, but when not recording, you have to navigate through the app settings.
5. Add a route-planning feature.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your detailed, positive review. Our latest update (version 3.02) should fix point 3. On an imported track's detail screen, tap its title and you should see the option to remove the import tag. Apart from moving the track out of the "Imported tracks" section, the track will be added to Health and included in your summary statistics. We are aware of your other feature requests and will update our response once more of them become available.
- iosphere GmbH
- 77 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 and watchOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Kölsch, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 iosphere GmbH
- In-App Purchases
- Trails Pro for one year $4.99
- Trails Pro for 3 months $1.99
- Trails Pro for 6 months $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.