Unclutter is a new handy place on your desktop for storing notes, files and pasteboard clips.
To open, simply move the pointer to the very top of screen and scroll down. Drag items from other applications to the top of screen to store them in Unclutter.
Being just one easy gesture away, Unclutter becomes a surprisingly helpful and convenient tool. In fact 3 tools in 1. That will make you feel more comfortable and powerful on your Mac.
- Instant, configurable access even in full screen mode
- File Storage, to keep your Desktop clean from temporary files
- Notes, to write down something quickly
- Clipboard manager, to track what you copy and paste, browse clipboard history
- Draggable cards that can stick on top of other windows
- Files and notes auto-sync across all your Macs via Dropbox.
- Full multi-display support
- Retina display support
- Universal Clipboard support
- Light/Dark theme to match system appearance.
WE LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
Have a question? Want to request a feature or share your idea?
Please contact us at email@example.com.
Twitter - @Unclutterapp
Facebook - facebook.com/Unclutter
- Improved the way Unclutter Files panel accepts drops from web-browser. Google Chrome still doesn't handle it correctly and reliably.
- Fixed: QuickLook Preview window for files now doesn't prevent Unclutter from closing the window when you switch to another application.
- Unclutter now draws icons in Files panel correctly, depending on the macOS appearance (Dark/Light) on MacOS 10.14 or later.
- Minor code updates and optimizations.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve had unclutter for a while now and I just now realized how much I use it. Literally every single day i used my Mac. I either drag my desktop files into the universal folder or make new documents in the notepad. It is also VERY useful to see my clipboard history — which is saves everything copied, pictures, links, everything.
I’m here writing this because I realized that I’ve been using it so much that I almost forgot it isn’t a built in app and thought that, of all the other apps and stuff that I HAVE reviewed, this one was most deserving of one.
Here’s to Unclutter, the app that works so well you forget it’s running and just blend it into your workflow.
Jack of 3 trades. Master of none.
Overall, this seems to be a good app. Here are the things I’ve found that need to be addressed:
1. Clipboard history size is too small. Other CB managers allow for thousands of items (which is what I use). Alfred sets limits based on time - 3 months for example. Until this is resolved, I can’t use the clipboard feature at all.
2. As others have said, the clipboard needs to have an option to paste on click.
3. It would be nice if notes could integrate with the actual notes app rather than saving text documents.
4. Basic markdown support would be nice as well.
5. There’s a bug in the “or just press” field in preferences. Clearing the field does not clear the value. It can only be replaced by something else. This is a minor issue and easily ignored, but worth mentioning.
6. As others have mentioned, the option to actually move a file vs save a reference to a file should be an option. Yoink seems to handle this better, so I’ll keep using that for now as well.
7. Likewise, files dragged as a group should remain grouped so they can easily be dragged out. Again, Yoink and Dropzone seem to get this right.
So overall, while this is a good app, none of it’s three tools are better than the tools I already use for each purpose. That said, I’ll keep an eye on future development as I’m sure the app will continue to improve.
This is a highly useful tool, which I am pleased to have purchased. However, there are a few items I wish had been included:
1. The ability to change the font (size, color, style) of your notes. Perhaps support for RTF would do the trick.
2. Included an option separate panel as a scratchpad. That could be a replacement for the stock Stickies app and would be highly useful for jotting down content that doesn’t merit saving as a file/note. For my particular use-case, the ideal layout would be: Clipboard | Scratchpad | Notes.
3. The option of setting line preview preferences for Notes, something as simple as 1-3 line preview as found in most email clients. Teh addition of this feature would allow either more Notes to be displayed and/or give the user a better understanding of the Note’s contents.
And finally, I have noticed one minor issue. At times, the app disallows the ability to delete a note. I haven’t yet figured out what triggers this, however, the simple workaround is to manually delete the unwanted Note(s) from within the Finder window. However, this is a drawback from the convenience as you need to navigate to the directory and select the correct file(s).
Developer Response ,
Thank you! Great feedback! Can I kindly ask you to give more details on request #2 and the issue with deleting notes, please? Write me to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eugene Krupnov
- 5 MB
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-19 Eugene Krupnov
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.