“The Divine Office is... the prayer not only of the clergy but of the whole People of God.”
Join the thousands of people who use Universalis daily!
You will get:
• The Catholic liturgical calendar for every year. Over 50 local calendars, including USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland, India and Singapore, and all the dioceses of the UK.
• The About Today page: information and meditations on the saints and feasts of the day.
• Lectio Divina: for meditating on the day's Gospel.
• Readings at Mass: the readings, psalms, prayers and antiphons for the day’s Mass. The Jerusalem Bible readings with Grail psalms (USA and Philippines: New American Bible).
• Mass Today: the Order of Mass and the prayers, readings and so on, all merged into one single sequence, so that you can follow Mass; or even celebrate it if you can find a discreet place to put the iPad on the altar.
• The Liturgy of the Hours: Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, Night Prayer, the three daytime Hours, and the Office of Readings. The scripture readings are from the Jerusalem Bible (RSV is available as an in-app purchase) and the psalms are the Grail psalms.
• You can search for words and phrases in the readings and psalms, see their context and go to the date when they are used.
• You can set an alarm to remind you when it's time for each Hour. You can also set alarms for the Angelus.
• Music: you can listen to the Salve Regina at the end of Night Prayer, and an in-app purchase will give you the whole of Sung Compline in Latin from the Schola Cantorum of the London Oratory School.
• Speech: You can listen to the Angelus spoken in English or Latin. You can optionally subscribe to other spoken content, including the Gospel for each day's Mass; all of each day's Hours; and the three daytime Hours in Latin (a subscription renews itself automatically each month but you can cancel it at any time).
• You can have a second language for the Order of Mass, in parallel with English: Latin, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Polish, Malayalam or Yoruba.
• You can choose between turning pages like a book or scrolling like a web page. You can choose fonts and font sizes (including huge ones) and you can turn on a night mode for reading in the dark.
• If you are blind, turn on VoiceOver and press the Information button in the toolbar at the top of the screen to get full instructions.
• You can see the saint of the day in a widget on your Today screen.
• If you have an Apple Watch, you can see the week’s calendar and read the Mass readings.
Everything is permanently built in to the Universalis app. You do not need an Internet connection.
You can also set up an email service to send you selected pages automatically each day.
For full details of the translations used, visit www.universalis.com. If you want to see more before you decide to buy Universalis, download the free Catholic Calendar application. It gives you a month’s free trial of Universalis content.
Improvements in some foreign-language texts.
Ratings and Reviews
Including the option to use the New American Bible for the Liturgy Of The Hours is mandatory
The app has been awesomely created and in presentation it looks qualitatlively superior to all the other free apps I‘ve run into so far for the Liturgy Of The Hours. I live in the US and have recently started to lead a prayer group in my workplace, and here comes the big problem: fellows familiar with the Office and owners of physical breviaries or users of free apps follow the New American Bible translation. And of course I cannot force people to spend money in an app just because I as the leader just feel comfortable using the Universalis app and hence following a Bible translation that nobody else follows in my group... So I guess in the meantime I‘m gonna start using another app like iBreviary, which is great and uses the NAB translation but is not that flexible and rich as Universalis. That until hopefully the Universdalis developers incorporate the NAB option as it‘s the case for the Readings at Mass. I don‘t regret having spent 11 bucks for the app though; like I said, it‘s been a great tool but for the moment just for personal prayer here in the US, maybe not for group prayers with American fellows.
Transformed my prayer life
I always wanted to engage morning and evening prayer using the catholic liturgical calendar and liturgy of the hours. I had some success, but felt there should be a better way. The Universalis app is almost too good to be true. First of all, the app is world-class and offers a beautiful, super intuitive user interface. Furthermore, it meets the challenge to create a Breviary that is accurate, comprehensive and provides customization for each person or group to make their own decisions within the structure of the Liturgy of the Hours. My time in prayer has exploded from perhaps 15 minutes per day (on most days) to about an hour a day because of this app…and I never miss a day. It has inspired me so much that I have goals for growing my time in prayer each day further. Thank you for this life-giving app!
Excellent! No, really!
This App is well worth it. A bargain! It’s fair to say that, discovering this app changed my life because it made accessible to me the Prayer of the Church, the Divine Office, the Liturgy of the Hours, Praying the Psalms, these Holy Poems and Canticles. I was never going to get the flipping around in a book, setting ribbons etc. I’m too distracted for that (ADHD!). I choose the dark format and page flipping, but you can have a white background and scrolling. Reciting these Holy Songs out loud makes me aware that all my sentiments, emotions, lamentations, grievances, works, joys and sorrows have a place in the life of prayer, and in the Church, as long as they are given context through the ancients who pleased God. They make accessible to me ALL of God’s emotions too, and help me understand Christ and the history of God’s relationship with man.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Universalis Publishing Limited
- 108.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 1996-2022 Universalis Publishing Limited
- In-App Purchases
- All Hours $2.99
- Daily Mass Readings $1.99
- All Hours $29.99
- Daytime Hours $2.99
- Sung Latin Compline $4.99
- Daily Mass Readings $19.99
- Add-on translation: RSV Hours $2.99
- Revelations of Divine Love $5.99
- Daytime Hours $29.99
- Journey into Light $5.99