Use our bilingual dictionaries to look up words and interact with video subtitles and web pages. Our dictionaries are free, work offline and have no ads!
The best way to become fluent in a language is to watch authentic shows and videos created for native speakers. Woodpecker is an app filled with learning tools that let you do this FOR FREE!
Practice commonly used vocabulary, tones and accents while watching a huge library of popular shows from all over the world. Immerse yourself in thousands of movies, TV shows, interviews and presentations and if you aren’t sure of any words you come across, just tap on the subtitle for immediate definitions in your own language.
Our bilingual dictionaries also work with web pages as well as video subtitles. Just touch on a word in our web browser and the popup box will appear with the definition in your own language.
• A movie or video playing in Woodpecker can have two subtitle streams running simultaneously. For instance, one in English and one in Chinese.
• Touch on a word in a subtitle stream to see the possible meanings in your language. Touch on a word or character in your own language to get the definition in the language you are learning
• To improve your listening power you can replay a single sentence or go back five seconds to repeat content.
• More than 450 YouTube channels with English language audio and subtitles are available. Many of these channels also upload subtitle streams in other languages. We have more than 80 YouTube channels with Mandarin language audio and Chinese subtitles. For Spanish learners, we have over 200 channels and playlists with Spanish audio and subtitles. For French learners, it is 60 channels and playlists and over 7,000 videos. For learners of Vietnamese, we have 8 channels and over 150 videos.
• We also show the YouTube channels of many popular language teachers.
• A list of the videos you've watched and the words/characters that you've touched can be seen in the history tabs.
We support English speakers learning French, Mandarin, Spanish, German and Vietnamese. We support speakers of Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese learning English.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great for all levels
My friend is using it for beginning level English, I use it for advanced Chinese. Find content with a voice you want to emulate, repeat individual sentences and see definitions of words you don’t know - extremely helpful to develop your voice and vocab in your target language.
I love this app! Great approach!
I just started using this app for Mandarin, and love it! The contemporary contextual approach of incorporating popular media and user generated content reminds me of the more accessible and successful language classes that I’ve encountered at the university level in mainland China and elsewhere.
It’s not a terrible app but I feel pretty dang mislead being told I can learn languages and I only have three options to learn from and two of them are Chinese and the other English which is the language I already speak!🙃 it would have been awesome to actually be offered more than just three options if the app is going to be pitched to me under the guise of learning any language.
Developer Response ,
We have now have support for English speakers immersing in French and Spanish content. More languages are coming. Please revise your review when we finally hit the language you are learning. Thanks!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Woodpecker Learning Limited
- 195.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Unrestricted Web Access Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2020 Woodpecker Learning Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Woodpecker Web Browser $14.99
- Export Word History $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.