Use our awesome bilingual dictionaries to look up words and interact with video subtitles and web pages. Our dictionaries are free, work offline and have no ads!
The best way to become fluent in a language is to watch authentic shows and videos created for native speakers. Woodpecker is an app filled with learning tools that let you do this FOR FREE!
Practice commonly used vocabulary, tones and accents while watching a huge library of popular shows from all over the world. Immerse yourself in thousands of movies, TV shows, interviews and presentations and if you aren’t sure of any words you come across, just tap on the subtitle for immediate definitions in your own language.
Our bilingual dictionaries also work with web pages as well as video subtitles. Just touch on a word in our web browser and the popup box will appear with the definition in your own language.
• A movie or video playing in Woodpecker can have two subtitle streams running simultaneously. For instance, one in English and one in Chinese.
• Touch on a word in a subtitle stream to see the possible meanings in your language. Touch on a word or character in your own language to get the definition in the language you are learning
• To improve your listening power you can replay a single sentence or go back five seconds to repeat content.
• More than 450 YouTube channels with English language audio and subtitles are available. Many of these channels also upload subtitle streams in other languages. We have more than 80 YouTube channels with Mandarin language audio and Chinese subtitles. For Spanish learners, we have over 200 channels and playlists with Spanish audio and subtitles.
• We also show the YouTube channels of many popular English teachers.
• A list of the videos you've watched and the words/characters that you've touched can be seen in the history tabs.
We support English speakers learning Mandarin and Spanish. We support speakers of Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese learning English.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great for all levels
My friend is using it for beginning level English, I use it for advanced Chinese. Find content with a voice you want to emulate, repeat individual sentences and see definitions of words you don’t know - extremely helpful to develop your voice and vocab in your target language.
Great app to supplement language learning
Very useful app with access to good video content to help learn and practice new vocabulary at my own time and pace.
It’s not a terrible app but I feel pretty dang mislead being told I can learn languages and I only have three options to learn from and two of them are Chinese and the other English which is the language I already speak!🙃 it would have been awesome to actually be offered more than just three options if the app is going to be pitched to me under the guise of learning any language.
Developer Response ,
We have now have support for English speakers immersing in French and Spanish content. More languages are coming. Please revise your review when we finally hit the language you are learning. Thanks!
- Woodpecker Learning Limited
- 31.4 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 17+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2019 Woodpecker Learning Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Export Word History $0.99
- Woodpecker Web Browser $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.