Watch and understand thousands of videos in Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese, or English. When you don’t know a word, simply touch it in the subtitles. Use Woodpecker tools on any subtitled video on Youtube and all videos on Netflix (with a Netflix account and when using Woodpecker on an iPad).
Touch any word, see its meaning, and easily save it to your history for review. Woodpecker’s bilingual dictionaries are free to use, work offline, and have no ads.
Move on from your textbooks. Immerse and understand videos, shows, and movies meant for native speakers from around the world.
Choose your target language:
Immerse in Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese, or English.
Woodpecker filters Youtube to show you only videos in your target language with accurate subtitles. Browse videos by category, from popular channels, or made by popular Youtube teachers. Quickly find videos created for native speakers. Watch and improve your language skills.
Watch with confidence. Woodpecker tools let you:
+ Touch any word to look it up while watching
+ Save any word or phrase to your word history
+ Touch a timestamp to jump to that section or rehear a phrase easily
+ Jump back 5 seconds if you missed something in a video
+ Touch to hear a phrase in the video repeated again and again
+ Slow down a video to 75% speed
+ Add multiple subtitle streams (when available) to follow along in your own language
+ Browse popular news sites in your target language, touch any word to look it up
Build confidence with Woodpecker:
• Discover videos in the language you’re learning. Explore by topic, channel name, or view videos by popular teachers on Youtube
• Woodpecker filters Youtube to show only the videos in the language you’re learning
• Have a Netflix account? Subscribe to the Unlimited Player in Woodpecker on your iPad to watch your favorite shows on Netflix. Touch any word in the subtitles to see its meaning and use Woodpecker Tools when you watch Netflix.
• Perfect for intermediate to advanced learners, gain confidence as you watch something you love
• Touch any word to see its meaning while your video pauses; Woodpecker automatically identifies proper names, popular expressions, idioms, and phrases
• See all the words and expressions you’ve looked up in your word history; review them and practice with pronunciations
• Browse popular news sites in the language you’re learning with the Woodpecker web browser, touch any word to see its meaning
• Upgrade the app with tools to export your word history and browse any web page in Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese, or English.
• Watch videos with two subtitle streams (when available) to follow along in English as well as your target language
• Dive deeper in a definition, expand the popup and touch any word in a definition to see its meaning
• Browse the Teacher Section to see videos by popular Youtube teachers in your target language
• Find all the videos you’ve watched in the video history section (data stored locally on your device)
• Woodpecker’s bilingual dictionaries support: English speakers learning French, Mandarin, Spanish, German, and Vietnamese. And also support speakers of Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese learning English.
• Touch any timestamp in the subtitles to rehear a phrase or jump to that phrase in a video
• Discover content easily and dive into what you want to watch without the restrictions of a lesson plan
• Improve your language skills while watching Youtube and Netflix with Woodpecker
Start watching videos made for native speakers by native speakers. Immerse confidently in Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Vietnamese, or English.
Try Woodpecker today!
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great for all levels
My friend is using it for beginning level English, I use it for advanced Chinese. Find content with a voice you want to emulate, repeat individual sentences and see definitions of words you don’t know - extremely helpful to develop your voice and vocab in your target language.
I love this app! Great approach!
I just started using this app for Mandarin, and love it! The contemporary contextual approach of incorporating popular media and user generated content reminds me of the more accessible and successful language classes that I’ve encountered at the university level in mainland China and elsewhere.
It’s not a terrible app but I feel pretty dang mislead being told I can learn languages and I only have three options to learn from and two of them are Chinese and the other English which is the language I already speak!🙃 it would have been awesome to actually be offered more than just three options if the app is going to be pitched to me under the guise of learning any language.
Developer Response ,
We have now have support for English speakers immersing in French and Spanish content. More languages are coming. Please revise your review when we finally hit the language you are learning. Thanks!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Woodpecker Learning Limited
- 26.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- © 2022 Woodpecker Learning Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Unlimited Video Player Monthly $2.99
- Woodpecker Web Browser $14.99
- Unlimited Video Player Yearly $19.99
- Export Word History $0.99