"...one of our highest recommendations." -The Smartphone App Review
• Arrange letters to make words on the board.
• Play words anywhere—connected to other words or not.
• Build bridges between words to earn bonuses.
• Play 8 letters on the "mainland" to win by knockout.
• Go for long words. You're awarded bonuses according to the number of letters you play on a turn. For example, play 7 letters and you'll get a 7x point multiplier applied to those letters plus an 8th letter, a star that can become any letter.
• When you play words without connecting them to others, this creates word "islands". To score their points, be sure to connect islands to the mainland (i.e., the green group) before they expire.
• Short words are less emphasized compared to traditional crossword games. It can still be handy to play those infamous two letter words like 'qi', 'za', or 'ka', but doing well depends less on knowing them.
• Play proper nouns and other words like 'Oz', 'Fiji', 'Zion', 'Brexit', 'Sunday', 'Botox', or 'flashmob' (an optional feature).
• No bonus squares to jockey over. This means you focus more on making words and less on defensive strategies. As a result, the board opens up and words begin to flow.
• Play friends online through Game Center.
• Play offline with solitaire and Pass & Play games.
• To return and redraw, press the round button, drag letters into the tray, and press play.
• To shuffle, drag letters out of your rack (but not onto the board).
• To quickly retrieve letters from the board, double-tap your rack.
• To zoom on the iPhone, pinch or double-tap the board.
• To learn about rules and scoring: https://goo.gl/1xwEok (Facebook album)
• Visit us: http://wordiamo.com and http://facebook.com/Wordiamo
When 7 or fewer letters remain in the letter pool, the number of letters is shown. A red square lights up when there are no letters left.
Ratings and Reviews
Best word game on the iPhone
I like word games, and this is the best out there. Games like Boggle are OK, but you're just shuffling letters around. Scrabble and WWF are fun, but have rule quirks that encourage defensive play. Wordiamo allows for the strategy of these other board games, but rewards playing longer words and being more creative with your letters. The game is also much less about being lucky (like drawing a few high value tiles) so skill and strategy are front and center.
The game also has great minimalist design. No fake wood, bouncing tiles, or garish color schemes, just a clean game board with intuitive interface.
Love this game! It has an entirely new dynamic with the islands and bridges. Building and connecting islands can dramatically shift the tide of a game... It's a challenge to use them well and simultaneously try to defend against your opponent doing the same. The scoring favors high quality words and their strategic placement over cheap, easy words that happen to find lucky positioning on the board.
Beautiful and engaging + outstanding support
For a writer, word games are a natural and often inspiring break from creative writing, and Wordiamo is my companion of choice when I need a good diversion. A lovely app throughout, I’m also impressed with Cliff’s response to suggestions (allowing vertical flip, for example—thanks!). He’s a talented developer and deserves to be supported for his work.
- Clifford Wang
- 74 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © Clifford Wang
- In-App Purchases
- No ads $4.99
- Deluxe words, unlimited $4.99
- Deluxe words, 40 plays $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.